Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tobeloy
    • By tobeloy 2nd Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 100Posts
    • 43Thanks
    tobeloy
    Cardholder not present transaction
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    Cardholder not present transaction 2nd Oct 17 at 9:06 PM
    Hi

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I could do with some advice before I contact a company.

I hired a vehicle in August and during the hire period unbeknownst to me I acquired a parking charge notice at a supermarket car park.

I was made aware of this by Parking eye as they were passed my details by the hire company and sent me the PCN.

I contacted the car park owner and they have agreed to cancel the ticket as I was deemed to be working at the site which was correct.

A week after I received the PCN from Parking eye the hire company sent me a letter with a copy of the PCN and a card receipt and they have charged my debit card £24:00 without asking me for an admin fee, I am really fuming as they had my telephone number and could have rang me instead and thus would have not have me incur this charge.

I believe they have been unreasonable in what they have done and can they do this? I have looked through the t & c's and cannot see anything that states they would charge any such admin fee for such event.

I have a bloody good mind to write to them with the notice of cancellation and charge them £24 for my admin fee.

Do I have any rights here, appreciate any advice thanks
Page 1
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 2nd Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    They had to pass your details into parking eye. It hairs no difference to them that the ticket was cancelled
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 2nd Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    Tobeloy, you would be wise to ask a board guide to move this thread to the parking charges board.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 2nd Oct 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:03 PM
    Think it is a pretty standard thing in hire car agreements that any speeding/parking tickets will result in an admin charge. The fact the ticket was cancelled is irrelevant.
    • bris
    • By bris 2nd Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 7,110 Posts
    • 6,126 Thanks
    bris
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    They had to pass your details into parking eye. It hairs no difference to them that the ticket was cancelled
    Originally posted by Wanderingpomm
    It's not a parking charge issue. It's about whether they can charge an admin fee and take it from the card held by them.

When you hire a car the card goes into the system and you agree to let them deduct this card for any charges you run up during the hire period. This is one of those charges so yes they can legally take it without further permission from you as you have already gave them it.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 3rd Oct 17, 1:28 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:28 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:28 AM
    When you hire a car the card goes into the system and you agree to let them deduct this card for any charges you run up during the hire period. This is one of those charges so yes they can legally take it without further permission from you as you have already gave them it.
    Originally posted by bris
    Are you sure about that?

Of course we haven't seen the OP's hire agreement so it's difficult to be certain, but most hirer's T&Cs talk about "road traffic offences" and "parking fines".

Parking in a supermarket car park, as the OP appears to have done, is neither a traffic offence, nor is it subject to a fine.

I wouldn't mind betting that the OP's hire agreement mentions nothing about speculative invoices issued by private parking operators.

I say again, the OP would be wise to seek the help from the knowledgeable people on the Parking Charges board.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    Contact your card provider and flag it as an unauthorised transaction. Keith is right ... very few if any hire companies have T&Cs that allow them to charge an admin fee for parking invoices.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 3rd Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    Contact your card provider and flag it as an unauthorised transaction. Keith is right ... very few if any hire companies have T&Cs that allow them to charge an admin fee for parking invoices.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Just had a look at the two big rental companies (Budget & Europcar), and they both mention parking fines or charges
    • bris
    • By bris 3rd Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 7,110 Posts
    • 6,126 Thanks
    bris
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:48 PM

I say again, the OP would be wise to seek the help from the knowledgeable people on the Parking Charges board.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    As I said this is not about a parking charge, the charge is not in dispute and settled accordingly.

This is the OP asking about his rights when a company charge his card after an event. Two totally different things.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 3rd Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 18,651 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam
    OP, which hire company?

Just one example, Europcar will refund their fee under certain circumstances.

From their T&Cs:
    9.3.1. The administration fee will only be refunded if you can provide supporting evidence to show that the issuing authority (i) has rescinded the fine or penalty; and (ii) confirms that the original charge did not apply in any event.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    DoaM
    Just had a look at the two big rental companies (Budget & Europcar), and they both mention parking fines or charges
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    But when it comes to invoices, the hire company making the payment removes the hirer's legal right of appeal. The hire company has a fairly simple legal process to follow to absolve themselves of any liability for a charge ... it's all covered by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (schedule 4), and the BVRLA Memorandum of Understanding. (Most if not all hire companies are BVRLA members).
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 3rd Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    But when it comes to invoices, the hire company making the payment removes the hirer's legal right of appeal. The hire company has a fairly simple legal process to follow to absolve themselves of any liability for a charge ... it's all covered by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (schedule 4), and the BVRLA Memorandum of Understanding. (Most if not all hire companies are BVRLA members).
    I'm not disputing that. I was disputing your comment in bold.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    DoaM
    Fair enough ... it seems that hire companies may have got around to trying to cover this scenario. (It's an easy money spinner for them).
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • tobeloy
    • By tobeloy 4th Oct 17, 7:19 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    tobeloy
    Thanks for all the input, I have provided a copy of the rental agreement t an c's to clarify if they can do what they did, I just really need to have my facts straight before I call them, it is the principle and I want my cash back.

The supermarket have emailed me to confirm they have cancelled the Parking charge too.

Appreciate all your help

[URL="http://i66.tinypic.com/x205yo.jpg[/IMG]"]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,747Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter