Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottcru
    • By scottcru 2nd Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    scottcru
    Self Assessment Newbie Question
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    Self Assessment Newbie Question 2nd Oct 17 at 9:04 PM
    Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I have been required by the Inland Revenue to start completing a self assessment tax return for the 2016-17 tax year onwards. Having recently completed and submitted the assessment, the online system has calculated that I have overpaid tax by approx. £500. That's obviously a pleasant surprise, but has led me to question whether I may have been overpaying tax for a number of years.

I have a very simple tax return - main full time employment, PAYE, savings and investment interest etc., and my arrangements are very similar to previous years.

Am I able to request to undertake a self assessment for previous years? or request a tax review or similar?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    Personally or would lead me to question if I had completed the return correctly (it being a suprise to have overpaid £500).

There is usually a specific reason why a tax return is needed, Child Benefit, income over £100k, large amounts of untaxed income - what prompted you needing to do one?

Why not check the figures for the previous year yourself before getting embroiled in completing possibly unnecessary forms?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,407Posts Today

8,243Users online

Martin's Twitter