Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • F_Bear
    • By F_Bear 2nd Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 330Posts
    • 141Thanks
    F_Bear
    0 WOW
    increase in package holidays over night
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    0 WOW
    increase in package holidays over night 2nd Oct 17 at 7:47 PM
    lookin at late deals last night and found a bargin to maderia for £330 with thompsons, checked with work today that the extra day would be ok, came back home to book and its gone up by £100!

there was 8 rooms left last night and still 8 rooms left now. they're cleary chancing their arm with the collapse of monarch :-/

not happy at all so guna wait till it comes down again as now the 'discount price' is higher than the original one!
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 2nd Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 7,084 Posts
    • 5,476 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    Thomson also sell flights. Whilst the hotel may still have 8 rooms left, the flight may not have as many seats due to demand from Monarch customers.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 2nd Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    £330. Is that for a weeks holiday with flights? No wonder the industry is in such a state!
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 3rd Oct 17, 4:51 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    tberry6686
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:51 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:51 AM
    That is for late deals and are always highly discounted. I bboked a holiday on the 30th sept flying on 10th Oct and am paying less than half the book cost. Basically the holiday companies just take what they can get at the last minute to fill things up. Cheaper than having empty seats/hotel rooms.

Booked for a week for myself and missus, total cost £413 including increased baggage allowance)
    Last edited by tberry6686; 03-10-2017 at 4:52 AM. Reason: added a bit
    • Westin
    • By Westin 3rd Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    Westin
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    That is for late deals and are always highly discounted. I bboked a holiday on the 30th sept flying on 10th Oct and am paying less than half the book cost. Basically the holiday companies just take what they can get at the last minute to fill things up. Cheaper than having empty seats/hotel rooms.

Booked for a week for myself and missus, total cost £413 including increased baggage allowance)
    Originally posted by tberry6686
    Depends on the agreement the tour operators has with the hotel as to the need for them to drop their trousers and offer such a low price.

Years ago many operators would commit to the room blocks and therefore would sell at a discount just to recoup any money. These days many will simply return unsold rooms to the hotel. No need to discount to the levels from before.

Flight seats slightly difference as they will of course look to fill the aircraft. Any reduction of capacity in the market (such as Monarch not flying) will lead to other previously booked MON/ZB passengers looking to rebook and prices increasing as flight availability is reduced.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

8,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you for covering the story - but also can i say - what a great name for the editor of Money Marketing! https://t.co/UcvQduTeJL

• Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Follow Martin