Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • saver772
    • By saver772 2nd Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    saver772
    Advice please
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    Advice please 2nd Oct 17 at 7:46 PM
    Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to buy our first home. We've found a house we love and have 10% deposit.

My partner hasn't got a great credit history. She has a default dated November 11 which hasn't been paid, should we clear this ASAP? Will the debt drop off her credit file in November as it's been 6 years? The default is for about 1200, but has just been passed on to Dryden (?).

My credit history is clean.

A few questions:
    Are we likely to get a Mortgage?
    Should the debt be cleared ASAP?
    Will it be removed from her Credit file in November?
    Are we better waiting until November to apply for a mortgage to give us better chance of being accepted?

Thanks
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 2nd Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    • 15,906 Posts
    • 8,148 Thanks
    ACG
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    If you satisfy it or wait for it to drop off, you are going to stand a better chance of getting your Mortgage on the high street.

You do not really give much information. At 95% LTV your options are going to be slim. At 85% you are going to have a handful of options.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • saver772
    • By saver772 2nd Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    saver772
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    We have 17.5k for a house valued at 175k
    • saver772
    • By saver772 3rd Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    saver772
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    Anymore help please
    • wacky75
    • By wacky75 3rd Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    wacky75
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    if you're able to secure a mortgage in your name only then this is an option.
    i did this myself when my wife's credit score was low.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,751Posts Today

6,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin