Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poodle34
    • By Poodle34 2nd Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 90Posts
    • 53Thanks
    Poodle34
    Mortgage likelihood
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    Mortgage likelihood 2nd Oct 17 at 7:35 PM
    Hi,

No judgement please, but can someone let me know if there is any chance of a successful mortgage application with the following:

Husband and I ex bankrupts 2009 so no longer on file

Did ok with rebuilding credit file at first, but both have a couple of defaults 2 years old due to employment issues.

Joint income of 62k

Deposit of 30k

Want to buy a house for 250k

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 2nd Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 15,901 Posts
    • 8,143 Thanks
    ACG
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    You are probably going to need a 15% deposit.
    You may get it through with less but I think the combination of both lots of adverse is probably going to be an issue.

Rates could be high street, but I think more than likely around the 5-6% mark.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Poodle34
    • By Poodle34 2nd Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Poodle34
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    Thanks, forgot to also mention that husband is now 51. Do you think this will cause a problem. I am 7 years younger.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 2nd Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 56,214 Posts
    • 49,598 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    Did ok with rebuilding credit file at first, but both have a couple of defaults 2 years old due to employment issues.
    Originally posted by Poodle34
    Said non judgementally. Hopefully now you've learnt the lesson. Rebuilding ones credit history doesn't require one to take on unaffordable levels of debt. Simply managing access to credit facilities in a proper manner will suffice.

The issue with age is the term over which a lender will advance the money. As mortgage terms that run into retirement years will need to funded somehow. Simply saying that you will continue working may not suffice.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • Poodle34
    • By Poodle34 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Poodle34
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    Lesson learnt and as I said, only reason for subsequent defaults was due to employment issues. They were for very small amounts which makes it all the more frustrating.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,188Posts Today

6,806Users online

Martin's Twitter