Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KLB
    • By KLB 2nd Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 43Thanks
    KLB
    Recommendations for cheap home cctv
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    Recommendations for cheap home cctv 2nd Oct 17 at 7:30 PM
    Hi folks,
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap home cctv system? One of my neighbours keeps dumping their rubbish outside my house and filling up my bins while I'm at work and I want to catch them at it!

I haven't really looked into it much yet, thought I'd ask for recommendations first. Don't want to spend a fortune. I just need to point a camera at the front of my house and view footage from the day if I come home and they've dumped their crap there.

We're about to switch to less bin collections and I'm expecting it to get worse. Makes me bloody mad!!
    Thanks
    Kelly
Page 2
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 5th Oct 17, 7:15 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    We view the video and also live picture on the tv. As soon as someone steps into the sensor zone it records 10secs and yes can see clearly (do need outside light in at night time if no street light). Also has option for single photo.
    Do have signs up (came with camera) and careful where to point it.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 5th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    "Heedtheadvice - really?"
    Really, yes!
    Don't take my word for it, read the link!
    It is not just illegal, you might be committing a criminal offence if not done correctly!

Just because others do it or you might think the risk of being caught is low, does not make it legal. Might be that the outcome is worse than the problem?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 23,316 Posts
    • 88,903 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I think it's possible to buy cameras which don't allow the casual passer-by or criminal to know which way they're pointing. We certainly had some where I worked, well over a decade ago.

Many people also manage to install small cameras where they can hardly be seen. A friend has some in her garden and I've yet to spot them, though I suspect one is in a bird box!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 5th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I found a complete "Floureon" system on ebay for £50. I say complete because although it came with 2 x cameras, wiring and a Digital Video Recorder, it had no hard drive to record on to but I just got one out of an old SKY box which worked.

The quality isn't the best but it's good enough to identify people and it does what we want.

Which leads me on to this - we got one because of a neighbour's intimidating behaviour towards my wife whilst I was away from home and since we put the cameras up (which are clearly visible) the neighbour's attitude has completely changed for the better.

Maybe you don't a full system? Just putting a camera up might help if people know they're being watched?
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 5th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Ok Chappers, we are really getting off the point of the OP's question but you need to justify your statement so as not to mislead, however unintentionally.
    I'll justify my warning that one needs to take care and that domestic CCTV falls within the act withe following extract from guidance issued by the Information Commissioner's Office. This gives the legal precedent. A balanced bit of guidances that tells us if it is done correctly all can be fine. Otherwise....
    " The use of surveillance systems for limited household purposes can be exempt from the DPA.
    The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) issued its judgment in
    the case of Ryneš on 11 December 2014. In this judgment, the CJEU
    concluded that where a fixed surveillance camera faces outwards from an
    individual’s private domestic property and it captures images of
    individuals beyond the boundaries of their property, particularly where it
    monitors a public space, the recording cannot be considered as being for
    a purely personal or household purpose.
    This means that cameras attached to a private individual’s home may, in
    certain circumstances, no longer be exempt from the requirements of the
    DPA under section 36. Those circumstances are likely to include where the
    camera monitors any area beyond the interior and exterior limits of that
    individual’s home. This would include any camera to the extent that it
    covered, even partially, a public space such as the pavement or street. It
    would also cover cameras which captured areas such as neighbours’
    gardens.
    This decision does not mean that using such a camera is not possible but
    it does mean that individuals will have to ensure that its use is legitimate
    under the DPA. The CJEU made clear that use of cameras to protect a
    property in this way can meet the legitimate interest condition in the
    legislation. The ICO has produced a short complementary piece of
    guidance for the public on how to ensure the use of a surveillance camera
    on a private domestic property complies with the DPA."

(Apologies for poor formatting in that copy!)

As posted elsewhere in this thread it could be that catching the intended antisocial behaviour at the bins causes lots more friction which might then give cause to a complaint. So perhaps not as unlikely as when nobody is aware?
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 05-10-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 5th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 11,613 Posts
    • 6,512 Thanks
    Strider590
    Sounds like there's a risk of the next door neighbour complaining. Some people get very funny about their neighbours putting up CCTV, hence the requirement to keep it pointing at your property and not outside your boundary.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    Well in that case you say "why? got something to hide?"

I mean lets face it, the authorities wanted to give an unknown corporate entity the ability to censor and filter the internet and to snoop on the public on behalf of GCHQ most, people just said "I don't care, i've got nothing to hide".

Funny how when it's one person vaguely pointing a CCTV camera toward the street, people take offence........ Is it privacy or is it jealousy?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 5th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    Which leads me on to this - we got one because of a neighbour's intimidating behaviour towards my wife whilst I was away from home and since we put the cameras up (which are clearly visible) the neighbour's attitude has completely changed for the better.
    Exactly the same reason and result here also
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin