Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KLB
    • By KLB 2nd Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 43Thanks
    KLB
    Recommendations for cheap home cctv
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    Recommendations for cheap home cctv 2nd Oct 17 at 7:30 PM
    Hi folks,
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap home cctv system? One of my neighbours keeps dumping their rubbish outside my house and filling up my bins while I'm at work and I want to catch them at it!

I haven't really looked into it much yet, thought I'd ask for recommendations first. Don't want to spend a fortune. I just need to point a camera at the front of my house and view footage from the day if I come home and they've dumped their crap there.

We're about to switch to less bin collections and I'm expecting it to get worse. Makes me bloody mad!!
    Thanks
    Kelly
Page 1
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 2nd Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    We got one from maplin (around £80) motion sensitive and records 10sec videos onto a card (night vision also)
    • KLB
    • By KLB 3rd Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    KLB
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    thanks... so if someone walks by, it records 10 seconds of footage? can i ask how clear the picture is and how do you view it, does it send to your phone or somewhere else?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 3rd Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    It'll be cheaper you put your bin somewhere the neighbour hasn't got access to.

What do to intend to do with the footage? Confront the neighbour?
    • KLB
    • By KLB 3rd Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    KLB
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    We don't really have anywhere else we can easily put our two bins, plus it's not just that, they're dumping items that don't fit (such as chairs, bits of wood, broken furniture) right outside our front wall.

I have a feeling i know which neighbour it is but i might be wrong, so just want to confirm.

Once i know, i would speak to them, but not aggressively or anything, just let them know that i've seen them dumping their rubbish and if they don't stop I'll report them for fly tipping. And let them know they're on camera so hopefully they won't do it again.

i'm not against a neighbour using our bin if theirs is full on the odd week, but filling ours up so we can't use it or making it so heavy that the binmen refuse to take it is another matter! I find it extremely disrespectful!
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 3rd Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    Why get involved in a potential neighbour dispute? Just report it to the council and let them deal with it.
    • KLB
    • By KLB 3rd Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    KLB
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    there's nothing to report if i don't know who it is... i've already called the council several times to remove items that were dumped but can't give any more information.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 3rd Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    there's nothing to report if i don't know who it is... i've already called the council several times to remove items that were dumped but can't give any more information.
    Originally posted by KLB
    So there's no fly tipping until you know who the offender is?

Don't bother spending any money on cctv then.
    • KLB
    • By KLB 3rd Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    KLB
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    i don't follow... you think i should just call the council to collect each time they dump their rubbish and carry on like that? i don't think so...

dumped rubbish just attracts more dumping and why should i allow my house to be treated like that and look like a tip for days whilst waiting for the council to come and collect. and what do i do with my rubbish whilst i'm waiting for the council to empty my bins because they're stuffed full of someone elses crap. sorry i'd rather let them know they've been spotted so they don't do it again.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 3rd Oct 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,549 Thanks
    chappers
    I bought a fairly cheap system for my mum a few years ago from ABAN technologies and it's still working fine, night vision, motion activated, sensitivity controls etc and its been great records to Hard Drive she lives opposite a park so it can get triggered quite often and it records about 3-4 weeks worth
    • KLB
    • By KLB 4th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    KLB
    thanks... i'll look into it!
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 4th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    Have you got an old android phone? Prop it up in a window and install something like Motion Detector Pro ... says it will detect motion and email you the picture. Cheap suggestion!
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 4th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 11,615 Posts
    • 6,514 Thanks
    Strider590
    You can get 720p IP cameras for next to nothing (about £30), then install the bundled "CMS" software on a PC laptop, I don't use that setup myself, but i've used CMS to change settings on my cameras and it does the job.

If your at any distance from the bin, only an IP camera is going to give good enough image quality anyway.

I'm phasing out my analogue cameras, but still use them in my garage and over my front door.
    Last edited by Strider590; 04-10-2017 at 2:44 PM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 4th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Woa there KLB!

You write "outside your house" . Not on your property?
    Then there are legal restrictions recording in that case. Without safeguards you may well find you are doing something illegally.
    "CCTV used on your property will be exempt from the Data Protection Act unless you are capturing footage of individuals outside your property."
    https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 4th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 11,615 Posts
    • 6,514 Thanks
    Strider590
    Woa there KLB!

Then there are legal restrictions recording in that case. Without safeguards you may well find you are doing something illegally.
    "CCTV used on your property will be exempt from the Data Protection Act unless you are capturing footage of individuals outside your property."
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    In reality not going to be a problem unless someone complains OR your pointing it into someone's house.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 4th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    In reality not going to be a problem unless someone complains OR your pointing it into someone's house.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Sounds like there's a risk of the next door neighbour complaining. Some people get very funny about their neighbours putting up CCTV, hence the requirement to keep it pointing at your property and not outside your boundary.
    • Chickereeeee
    • By Chickereeeee 4th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Chickereeeee
    A Reolink RLC-410S
    would workOK. IP camera, power-over-Ethernet, and also has built-in storage. So set it for motion detaction, should record a day or a few days, depending on sensitivity you set, without the need for a hard drive.

Easily see who/what is filling your bins from 10 meters I should say. Day or night.
    • KLB
    • By KLB 4th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    KLB
    Heedtheadvice - really? it would be pointing into my garden and also film the bins which sit just on the other side of the wall.. not pointing at anybody else's property.. i assumed lots of people's cameras did this...

thanks all for the other replies, some of it over my head tech-wise, but has given me some pointers.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 4th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    I've just been looking into this online and found some in Maplins, just make sure the set up instructions are easy to understand as some I looked at had bad reviews.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 5th Oct 17, 1:00 AM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,549 Thanks
    chappers
    Woa there KLB!

Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    That's not strictly true you can record what you like providing it doesn't run into the realms of invasion of privacy, harassment etc.but that isn't covered by DP
    Data protection laws are about how you keep any data you have stored safe and private and how you remove any data stored if requested by the person who's data you record.
    Normal recording of your property or the highway including the front of the house opposite is unlikely to fall foul of that unless you are broadcasting the footage, and then it would take a specific complaint.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin