Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newlease
    • By newlease 2nd Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 79Posts
    • 13Thanks
    newlease
    Unwanted cheque from HMRC
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    Unwanted cheque from HMRC 2nd Oct 17 at 7:24 PM
    I have received a cheque from HMRC as repayment of overdue collected through PAYE for 2016-17. I am, if the HMRC website will stop crashing, about to complete and submit my self assessment. What must I change now? Ideally I would like to "ignore" this cheque but I presume that is no longer an option. I am not opposed to calling, despite the long wait times, but I wish to submit my self assessment in the next few days so I would rather not do a back and forth with letters if that is what it will take.

Above is the main question, but I really need to rant. You need not read this, I just need to get off my chest.... Why does HMRC do things like this when they are aware and are expecting a self assessment? It is just a waste of resources. I had a similar, but reverse, situation last year when they kept on reminding me every week to pay a tiny under collected amount when in reality they owed me huge amounts after the self assessment. Why send a cheque? All previous exchanges including my higher rate tax relief has been sent by bank payment, never cheque. And the real kicker is if HMRC's website actually worked I would have completed my return earlier avoiding all of this. Three times, twice over the summer, and once this weekend when I have sat down to do it the site has not been available. Rant over.
Page 1
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 2nd Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    • 15,158 Posts
    • 13,587 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    There is a section in the tax return for 'additional information' - use that to explain you have just received a refund cheque from the HMRC.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • newlease
    • By newlease 3rd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    newlease
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    Thanks, is an explanation in one of the additional information boxes of which there are many appropriate when submitting online? Unlike paper, I'm not sure someone will then read and adjust. Does using such a box prompt an HMRC employee to manually review?

Reviewing the document from last year, the areas that look most relevant to me are either
    1) SA100 TR 6 Tax refunded or set off
    2) SA110 TC 2 Adjustments to tax due box 15 or 16

In theory the online form with it's questionnaire style should guide but having a lot of issues with the HMRC website. It will show a page or 2 at a time before giving a "system error" page.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 3rd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 1,976 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    Your choices are;

1) Send the cheque back to HMRC to cancel
    2) Bank the cheque and enter amount of refund at box 1 of page TR6 of the SA100
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 4th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    There is a section in the tax return for 'additional information' - use that to explain you have just received a refund cheque from the HMRC.
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    I've tried those boxes before. They're often character limited so you can't explain much, and despite providing an explanation it was completely ignored.

I hate calling HMRC because they're all useless on the phone, but I'd be inclined to as then there's a record you tried and also sending the cheque back as cancelled.
    • newlease
    • By newlease 5th Oct 17, 12:10 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    newlease
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:10 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:10 AM
    Your choices are;

1) Send the cheque back to HMRC to cancel
    2) Bank the cheque and enter amount of refund at box 1 of page TR6 of the SA100
    Originally posted by BoGoF
    How does the SA100 TR 6 Tax refunded or set off box 1 differ from SA110 TC 2 Adjustments to tax due box 15 or 16?

I've tried those boxes before. They're often character limited so you can't explain much, and despite providing an explanation it was completely ignored.

I hate calling HMRC because they're all useless on the phone, but I'd be inclined to as then there's a record you tried and also sending the cheque back as cancelled.
    Originally posted by HonourlessWeasel
    Indeed, using additional info doesn't strike me as a good option. I would only use those to detail in words figures that have already been written in elsewhere.

I won't send the cheque back, which really also needs a letter or at least a note. It is too much fuss and will take too long for them to respond back, I want to submit my application. Phoning them would be an idea if they could confirm, then and there, I could bin the cheque but I highly doubt this scenario. When I have called previously, they have been helpful in clarifying but other than small adjustments they can't or won't do anything without receiving written letter.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 5th Oct 17, 6:00 AM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 1,976 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:00 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:00 AM
    How does the SA100 TR 6 Tax refunded or set off box 1 differ from SA110 TC 2 Adjustments to tax due box 15 or 16?
    Originally posted by newlease
    SA100 TR6 specifically states tax already refunded for the year.

SA110 TC2 is for adjustments for years prior to the year of return.
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 7th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    You can simply not bank the cheque. Banking it would be foolish if you think you owe tax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,956Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter