Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VickyP2
    • By VickyP2 2nd Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 25Thanks
    VickyP2
    0 WOW
    Have you ever been stranded anywhere?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Have you ever been stranded anywhere? 2nd Oct 17 at 7:17 PM
    And for how long

I dont think I have properly but I would say when I missed a train and had to wait 2 hours for another
Page 1
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 2nd Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 11,519 Thanks
    busiscoming2
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    Mallorca for an extra 7 days after the Ash cloud.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 2nd Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    Florida after a dodgy charter airline went belly up in the 1990s. Think that was around 40 hours... took ATOL a little longer in those days, and we were stuck at the airport.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 18,051 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    No I haven't.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 2nd Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 1,945 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    No I haven't either, and I don't think waiting 2 hours for a train is stranded lol��
    travelover
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 18,051 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    No I haven't either, and I don't think waiting 2 hours for a train is stranded lol��
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    And was it a train abroad?

This is the 'Overseas Travel' board.

The OP has a habit of starting threads asking questions like:
    'How...?'
    'What....?'
    'Who....?'
    'Have....?'
    but never comes back to the thread.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 03-10-2017 at 7:33 AM.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 3rd Oct 17, 12:56 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    fifeken
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:56 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:56 AM
    A few days in Italy when a Ryanair flight from Frankfurt-Hahn had multiple bird strikes on approach, then came down hard and blocked the runway.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20081110-0
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 AM
    • 60,290 Posts
    • 352,313 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 AM
    I took a late night drive 15 miles from home one night about 11pm, to "bump into" some mates who were night fishing .... got to the deserted riverbank to discover that they weren't there at all. No worries, I'd go into the small town 2 miles away and fill up with petrol to go back to my home town.... except they didn't have a 24 hour petrol station, so I had to kip in the car until they opened.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 3rd Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    three times;

1996 in Brussels by the Eurotunnel Fire, We got a heads up via the BBC from the missus at home, went early to the station, ignored dim Railway staff advice to "await news", dashed to the airport and got the last affordable flights. Just as well; it was closed for months

2006 in Italy when London airspace was closed for three days by the lemonade-bottle-bomb terror plot which resulted in the "temporary" ban on liquids in hand luggage. Again, the missus in London was ahead of the news and tipped us off. So we got to the airport first but kept the hire car; were at the front of the queue for alternative flights and ended up driving from Puglia to Rome and spending an enjoyable but unexpected few days there with the god-children.

Another time, after a weekend in Barcelona, when the annual French Air Traffic Controllers strike cancelled a flight home from Girona; Next days' were full (a UK international match at Nou Camp), so we settled for an enjoyable extra 2 days in Girona itself with a subsequent bung from the travel insurance company. No sweat as we'd just retired so got a slightly longer pensioners' celebration.

And that doesn't include
    - falling asleep on the airport floor at Athens over 50 years ago,

- Brittany Ferries cancelling a car-ferry sailing back from Spain in 2105 (again, an enjoyably extended few days in our favourite Spanish hotel on the Insurance Company and the Ferry Co)

- waiting an hour and a half for the Isle of Wight ferry cause they were so busy this summer!

Better to travel hopefully...

(but with my track-record, maybe not with me?)
    • John259
    • By John259 3rd Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    John259
    Nearly.

Our rental car broke down in Mesa Verde National Park, southwestern Colorado. Another visitor gave us a lift to the visitor centre. The park's excellent security officer then spent most of the day on the phone to the rental car company, the car manufacturer (it was still under warranty) and a garage and a towing company in Cortez, and finally got them all to agree to a tow to the garage and subsequent repair, all at no cost to us. Then he gave us a lift back out to where the car was, and waited until the tow truck arrived to make sure all was ok. And he gave us half his lunchtime cake as well!
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 3rd Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 7,173 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    jackieblack
    California for 8 days when that unpronounceable Icelandic volcano erupted in 2010.
    Virgin sent us to a very fancy hotel just along the road from Disneyland for 5 days then moved us to Long Beach for the remaining days.
    Some people were having meltdowns and behaving in a pretty embarrassing fashion
    We just made the most of our unexpected bonus 8 days expenses paid holiday! It was awful!
    Last edited by jackieblack; 03-10-2017 at 3:40 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • z1a
    • By z1a 3rd Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    z1a
    No, but I would like to be "stranded" abroad for a few extra days.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Oct 17, 7:19 PM
    • 12,915 Posts
    • 17,108 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    No, but I would like to be "stranded" abroad for a few extra days.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Careful for what you wish for. I got stranded in Gröttehausen, southern Germany for the best part of a week while waiting for my car to be repaired. It was like groundhog day in Legoland.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 3rd Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,395 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Been stranded several times but will mention just two.
    Driving to catch the night ferry from Caen we were stuck in snow in the hills all night. Lots of other cars and lorries plus a coach. We were all invited into the coach and a local came with thermoses of coffee.
    Most memorable stranding was in the 60s flying back from Aden, landed to refuel in Greece just as there was a military takeover. We were in uniform and sent into an airport building with no food for over a day. Found a way into adjacent building and raided the vending machines, also looked out to see tanks and troops surrounding the first building, thought of waving to them but didn't, just went back and shared our booty.
    • Greenqueen
    • By Greenqueen 3rd Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Greenqueen
    Many years ago when we had a 10 month old baby and a toddler we went to Menorca.
    Around midnight after a long, tiring day we arrived, during a thunder/lightning storm, and were transported to our "villa" by coach. We were the only family to get off there. The guide on the bus said "you will find the door key under the doormat- The rep will meet you at the pool at 10am" The coach then drove away.
    Except nobody had remembered to actually leave the key for us! All the other villas were in darkness and except for the flashes of lightning the whole area was in pitch blackness due to a power cut. We spent all night outside with cases, pram and 2 very distressed kids in torrential rain.
    The morning Rep was NOT pleased to meet us !!!!!!!!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 4th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 3,862 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Got "stranded" in the UK during the Great Snow Event of Christmas 2010 (when a few inches fell on Heathrow) which meant I couldnt get away to somewhere warmer.

I've never been delayed on a return home but if it happened then it wouldn't bother me. I'd get to spend longer on my destination of choice and would have a good excuse for my boss for why I couldnt make it to work.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 4th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,997 Posts
    • 6,973 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Who on earth thinks that waiting 2 hours for the next train could ever be described as "stranded"? That's just a bad commute home from the office. I wouldn't even call a ten hour flight delay "being stranded" as we didn't need to arrange either anywhere to stay or an alternative way home.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 4th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    z1a
    Careful for what you wish for. I got stranded in Gröttehausen, southern Germany for the best part of a week while waiting for my car to be repaired. It was like groundhog day in Legoland.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Yes, but stranded on a package tour is different as you are already likely to be somewhere nice, so a few moire days free holiday.
    Even in your situation I'd have made the most of it and gone for trips.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 12,915 Posts
    • 17,108 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Got "stranded" in the UK during the Great Snow Event of Christmas 2010 (when a few inches fell on Heathrow) which meant I couldnt get away to somewhere warmer.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    We got caught by that. We had booked a house for Christmas and New Year in the south of France. We ended up driving down there instead. It was a horrible drive, over 600 miles before the snow cleared around Limoges.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 6th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 7,585 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Half way up a chimney, while I was cleaning it. Hang on, maybe that was a past life, during the civil war....
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

6,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin