Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whippetman
    • By whippetman 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 19Thanks
    whippetman
    Holding deposit or security drposit
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    Holding deposit or security drposit 2nd Oct 17 at 6:18 PM
    Hi friends, wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I was renting my spare rooms, someone came to see them and wanted them. They gave me a holding deposit of 1 weeks rent. I gave them a receipt.

They now don't want the rooms and I have missed other renting opportunities.

Now here's my problem, I wrote the receipt wrong and put security deposit not holding deposit.

I explained what was what and that a security deposit of 4 weeks rent would need to be paid when they move in, so I believe they understood what was meant.

They are insisting I now give them the deposit back because of what I wrote on the receipt.

Do I need to repay it?

Matt
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 42,269 Posts
    • 49,096 Thanks
    G_M
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    If it's a security deposit you need to repay it.
    If it's a holding deposit, you don't.

If you refuse to repay it, and the applicant takes you to a Small Claims Court, which do you think the judge will think it was?
    • whippetman
    • By whippetman 3rd Oct 17, 12:23 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    whippetman
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:23 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:23 AM
    Thank you, you have confirmed exactly what I was thinking.

I think a judge would see that it was clearly a holding deposit.

I think I will repay the deposit anyway, its not worth the hassle. I have to be more careful when I write my receipts in future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,536Users online

Martin's Twitter