Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 2nd Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,998Posts
    • 842Thanks
    Stoke
    Why would anyone cycle to work?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    Why would anyone cycle to work? 2nd Oct 17 at 6:07 PM
    This morning, on the way into work, I saw a cyclist nearly get knocked off by two different cars in the space of 20 seconds.

Then, half an hour later, I saw another cyclist nearly get knocked off, again we're talking inches.

It's an absolute bloody minefield out there with all the crap drivers. It's a shame as cyclists do other road users and the world a favour in reality, but they aren't half treated with contempt.

I've always considered cycling to work, but nah, it's too risky tbh.
    Last edited by Stoke; 02-10-2017 at 6:12 PM.
Page 2
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 4th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 9,099 Thanks
    kathrynha
    But the problem is you shouldn't have been knocked off at all. People should look, anticipate etc.

I can only assume people simply don't look.
    Originally posted by Stoke

Being in an accident is a risk of using the roads whatever mode of transport you use
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 56 lb
    Last updated: 11th December 2017
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 4th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 13,350 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Fewer children cycle these days. My Dad took me out cycling to teach me the ways of the road, and we had cycle training at school. When everyone cycled as a child and teenager, it gave them the freedom to go further afield independently and taught them valuable road-user skills so that when they did learn to drive, they could still understand the needs of cyclists.

Now we have death-wish cyclists who've never had cycle training at school (I know it's available in some places, but they didn't enrol) or from their parents and drivers who've never cycled, plus pedestrians glued to their mobiles and stressed delivery drivers with impossible schedules to adhere to. Not a happy mix.
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99
    Some very good points here. Big mistake over many years/decades to not invest more in cycle infrastructure. Its not as if we haven't always known that getting more people cycling was beneficial.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 4th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    If you can cycle to work you’d be daft not to!
    Originally posted by brat
    Anyone can cycle to work? Whether you can cycle to work safely is a different matter.

Finally it happened today. A vehicle in front SMIDSY'd a young male cyclist (cycling perfectly safely in a cycle lane) as I travelled through Burnage/Longsight area in Manchester. Luckily, the cyclist had lightning reactions and turned his wheel slightly so he only caught the front wing of the car and bounced off slightly, instead of going head first over the car.

Although the drivers initial reaction was to ask if the cyclist was okay, he proceeded to accuse the cyclist of "undertaking him". Can you even undertake on a bike? Isn't this a term for cars on the motorway?

Luckily the cyclist was able to cycle away and there didn't look like any real damage to either the car or his bike, but my word..... I've been expecting this for the past 3 weeks and it's no surprise it's finally happened.
    • anto164
    • By anto164 4th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    anto164
    I cycle to work as we only have one car, and the wife needs it more than i do!

Nice leisurely 9 miles each way,
    • brat
    • By brat 4th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    Anyone can cycle to work? Whether you can cycle to work safely is a different matter.

Finally it happened today. A vehicle in front SMIDSY'd a young male cyclist (cycling perfectly safely in a cycle lane) as I travelled through Burnage/Longsight area in Manchester. Luckily, the cyclist had lightning reactions and turned his wheel slightly so he only caught the front wing of the car and bounced off slightly, instead of going head first over the car.

Although the drivers initial reaction was to ask if the cyclist was okay, he proceeded to accuse the cyclist of "undertaking him". Can you even undertake on a bike? Isn't this a term for cars on the motorway?

Luckily the cyclist was able to cycle away and there didn't look like any real damage to either the car or his bike, but my word..... I've been expecting this for the past 3 weeks and it's no surprise it's finally happened.
    I'll take statistics over anecdote any day of the week...
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 4th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    House Martin
    So far in around a million miles of cycling in a lifetime from the age of 6 to 66 , only one car has knocked me off and that was in Switzerland when a car clipped my bulky pannier slightly in the busy centre of Geneva .Touch wood, no other impact from a motor car so far, but thousands of very close shaves and they seem to be getting closer and closer in an obvious attempt at intimidation.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Oct 17, 1:03 AM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks by 7 times.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • brat
    • By brat 5th Oct 17, 7:41 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    320 miles a week, every week for 60 years.

Impressive...
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 5th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 8,840 Posts
    • 8,533 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    320 miles a week, every week for 60 years.

Impressive...
    It's only 45 miles a day for 21,900 consecutive days - what's wrong with you??
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    I'll take statistics over anecdote any day of the week...
    And I wouldn't expect it any other way. I think some places are easier to cycle than others. I've not seen this kind of problem elsewhere, but where I'm driving at the moment is lethal. That said, I saw the exact opposite today, cyclist with no helmet, taking risks going through red lights and at one point cycling down the centre of the road between two lanes of traffic (despite there being a cycle lane on the left)
    Last edited by Stoke; 05-10-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    • brat
    • By brat 5th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    So, what cycling stats can you draw on from your area. How many cycling KSIs in Manchester each year? Do the stats back up your anecdotal experiences?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 5th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    That said, I saw the exact opposite today, cyclist with no helmet...
    Tsk tsk! I saw a motorist without driving gloves the other day! It ought to be illegal!

Fair enough on your other points though. But he wasn't jumping red lights and riding dangerously because he's a cyclist. He's doing it because he's a nutter. You get the same thing with motorists. Some people drive sensibly; some don't.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 6th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    Tsk tsk! I saw a motorist without driving gloves the other day! It ought to be illegal!

Fair enough on your other points though. But he wasn't jumping red lights and riding dangerously because he's a cyclist. He's doing it because he's a nutter. You get the same thing with motorists. Some people drive sensibly; some don't.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Yeah...... not sure the two are comparable. A cyclists helmit can genuinely save your life...... and has been proven to, time, and time, and time again. Wearing gloves while driving..... keeps you hands warm maybe?
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 6th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    lillie421
    Most people do it for exercise and because cars are expensive to run! Traffic is a problem when you are in a car, too, as you have to wait. If you are on a bike, you can cycle straight past the traffic
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    Yeah...... not sure the two are comparable. A cyclists helmit can genuinely save your life...... and has been proven to, time, and time, and time again. Wearing gloves while driving..... keeps you hands warm maybe?
    Cycle helmets offer little benefit in most accidents. Evidence also suggests that drivers behave more recklessly around cyclists wearing helmets.

A lot of motorists' injuries would have been prevented by wearing a helmet when driving. But I've never seen anyone in a car wearing one.

At the end of the day, there's no reason cyclists should feel the need to wear a helmet. They're not required by law, put people off cycling, and offer very limited protection anyway.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 6th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 13,350 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Cycle helmets offer little benefit in most accidents. Evidence also suggests that drivers behave more recklessly around cyclists wearing helmets.

A lot of motorists' injuries would have been prevented by wearing a helmet when driving. But I've never seen anyone in a car wearing one.

At the end of the day, there's no reason cyclists should feel the need to wear a helmet. They're not required by law, put people off cycling, and offer very limited protection anyway.
    strongly disagree with that. I know several people who reckon their lives have been saved by them. However limited the protection, stupid not to wear one. I find it hard to believe people drive more recklessly around cyclists with helmets, that just seems mad. (although I do notice drivers give you more room when you have a child on the back)
    Last edited by andrewf75; 06-10-2017 at 4:11 PM.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 6th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 3,960 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    strongly disagree with that. I know several people who reckon their lives have been saved by them. However limited the protection, stupid not to wear one. I find it hard to believe people drive more recklessly around cyclists with helmets, that just seems mad. (although I do notice drivers give you more room when you have a child on the back)
    Originally posted by andrewf75
    Me and a couple of relatives.

Whilst I agree that in quite a lot of accidents a helmet may not prevent significant injury, in the small amount that they do they are invaluable.

When you think that just slipping over and bumping your head can lead to serious permanent injury and even death (happened to a friend of ours, 16 year old son, slipped on some ice banged his head and died) I would never ride my bike without.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 6th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 4,192 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I used to love cycling to work (had electric bike though) but it was someplace where riding on the pavement is the norm and bikes rarely get knicked.

I did hit one poor old chap going down hill. His knee must have given way because he suddenly staggered sideways into my path and I mowed him down like I was in a tank.

I hope he later saw the time I was coming down the same hill and a woman's yappy dog burst free and stretched its lead across the path like a tripwire.
    Would have given the old geezer a good laugh.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    When you think that just slipping over and bumping your head can lead to serious permanent injury and even death (happened to a friend of ours, 16 year old son, slipped on some ice banged his head and died) I would never ride my bike without.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    But would you ever walk in icy weather without a helmet? Why not?

There are dangers to walking in icy conditions, just as there are dangers with cycling, driving and everything else.

People have the freedom to wear a helmet when doing any of these activities if they wish, but it's a bit silly to criticise anyone who chooses not to.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 6th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 13,350 Thanks
    andrewf75
    But would you ever walk in icy weather without a helmet? Why not?

There are dangers to walking in icy conditions, just as there are dangers with cycling, driving and everything else.

People have the freedom to wear a helmet when doing any of these activities if they wish, but it's a bit silly to criticise anyone who chooses not to.
    you're relatively unlikely to have a serious fall onto your head while walking. On a bike you're MUCH more likely to fall on your head and at a speed which can cause serious damage. The "going over the handlebars" crash, we all know it or have experienced it!

There are risks in everything we do, but when a risk can so easily be reduced then yes its silly!
    I do respect your right to be silly though and as it doesn't endanger anyone other than yourself don't think I favour them being compulsory.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin