Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 2nd Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,997Posts
    • 835Thanks
    Stoke
    Why would anyone cycle to work?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    Why would anyone cycle to work? 2nd Oct 17 at 6:07 PM
    This morning, on the way into work, I saw a cyclist nearly get knocked off by two different cars in the space of 20 seconds.

Then, half an hour later, I saw another cyclist nearly get knocked off, again we're talking inches.

It's an absolute bloody minefield out there with all the crap drivers. It's a shame as cyclists do other road users and the world a favour in reality, but they aren't half treated with contempt.

I've always considered cycling to work, but nah, it's too risky tbh.
    Last edited by Stoke; 02-10-2017 at 6:12 PM.
Page 1
    • Mids_Costcutter
    • By Mids_Costcutter 2nd Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 7,770 Thanks
    Mids_Costcutter
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    So is this situation inevitable? What action would you take? After all more cycling would save us all money.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 2nd Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    So is this situation inevitable? What action would you take? After all more cycling would save us all money.
    Originally posted by Mids_Costcutter
    I'll stay in a big metal tin can until further notice. Manchester has cycle lanes everywhere and the amount of drives I see abusing them is scary.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 2nd Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    I've cycled in London for 20 years. I love it, it's so much less hassle than any other means of getting around and it keeps me fit. I've been knocked off just once in that time. Not a very nice experience but I got compensation for it.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    I've cycled in London for 20 years. I love it, it's so much less hassle than any other means of getting around and it keeps me fit. I've been knocked off just once in that time. Not a very nice experience but I got compensation for it.
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    But the problem is you shouldn't have been knocked off at all. People should look, anticipate etc.

I can only assume people simply don't look.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 3rd Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    20 miles a shift for the last four years. 14 miles of that on the Thames footpath. Not a car insight. Plenty of foxes and the odd seal along the Thames.

I can cycle in as much time to work as I use to drive and without the gallon of petrol. Plenty fresh air and more exercise in a day that most people get in a month.

Not had more than a few near misses. Never been knocked down, fell a few times in the rain. For the most part drivers give me plenty of room and respect.

My tip.......wear a helmet, good lights and maybe a florescence top. Don't jump lights and take chances.....getting home a few minutes later or to work is no big deal in my book.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 04-10-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 3rd Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    elverson
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    On average you'll live longer by cycling to work than driving or getting the train.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 60,932 Posts
    • 355,902 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    People cycle to work for a few, limited, reasons:

- Alpha males.
    - People whose route is pleasant/enjoyable and they might have safe bike parking spaces and work and some, I believe, even have showers!
    - People who are just going 1-2 miles and have very good outer clothing available to them ... and the route's nice

For all others it's an arduous and torturous concept, where they're battling with filth, the weather, other traffic, huge/dodgy junctions and mayhem.

I used to cycle 6 miles to work when I started work nearly 40 years ago - it was quite a pleasant "amble" of a ride, with safe roads and no nutter drivers to contend with. All I had to contend with was getting wet when it rained, cold when it snowed... and I was in a job where it was acceptable to turn up looking like a drowned rat and sitting at my desk shivering or damp for 2 hours upon arrival.

I did get a moped within 8 months though
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 3rd Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    People cycle to work for a few, limited, reasons:

- Alpha males.
    - People whose route is pleasant/enjoyable and they might have safe bike parking spaces and work and some, I believe, even have showers!
    - People who are just going 1-2 miles and have very good outer clothing available to them ... and the route's nice

For all others it's an arduous and torturous concept, where they're battling with filth, the weather, other traffic, huge/dodgy junctions and mayhem.

I used to cycle 6 miles to work when I started work nearly 40 years ago - it was quite a pleasant "amble" of a ride, with safe roads and no nutter drivers to contend with. All I had to contend with was getting wet when it rained, cold when it snowed... and I was in a job where it was acceptable to turn up looking like a drowned rat and sitting at my desk shivering or damp for 2 hours upon arrival.

I did get a moped within 8 months though
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Yep...........lovely route. Beautiful showers. Gallons of petrol saved, Secure 24 hours locked bike area, nice and fit with no traffic jams.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 3rd Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 5,300 Posts
    • 4,848 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I cycle when the weather is up to it (ie not raining) but I go via a route I have devised which avoids the traffic. Overall it's faster than driving and the ride can even be enjoyable in the nice weather. Not sure I'd be keen on cycling in London though.
    • theEnd
    • By theEnd 3rd Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    theEnd
    I rarely have any issues cycling through London. It's so much nicer than the tube and free exercise.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 3rd Oct 17, 10:10 AM
    • 7,851 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    andrewf75
    I've cycled to work (or partway to the station) for 20 odd years and never had a single notable incident. Yes, cars cut me up and don't see me all the time, but if you anticipate that, I don't feel particularly at risk - certainly not so that I'm going to inconvenience myself and lessen my quality of life by not doing it. Granted, there are roads I wouldn't cycle regularly on e.g. country roads.
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 3rd Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 5,271 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    alanrowell
    For me it boils down to (lack of) facilities at work to wash and change.
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 3rd Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    I commute by bike in London - 6 miles each way. We have showers and secure cycle parking at work which is super handy - I'd probably not do it otherwise.

I commute to save money and stay fit, and it takes me the same amount of time as if I'd gone on the tube.

I've actually only ever (touch wood) been knocked off by a careless cyclist who didn't check their shoulder before cycling straight into my path....lesson learnt, always wear gloves! And I have also fell off a few times when I was learning to use cleets, and down to user error haha but so far been lucky and not had any proper run ins with cars.
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000
    • chib
    • By chib 3rd Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    I used to cycle to work before I started working from home, you do get some idiot drivers but as a seasoned/competent cyclist I see more idiot cyclists than drivers. I recommend being confident and giving it a go, make yourself seen and keep a safe distance from the kerb.

Like some others have said, having shower and bike storage at work helped but our maintenance staff were happy to provide a key to the boiler room for those who cycled often which was great for the cold/winter months.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 3rd Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    fred246
    When I researched the health benefits of cycle commuting I quickly realised that NOT cycling was far too dangerous.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 3rd Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Stoke
    Cycling in London is different to Manchester. Trust me.
    • brat
    • By brat 4th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    If you can cycle to work you’d be daft not to!
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 4th Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    I cycled through from childhood to my early thirties and used to cycle to work before I had a car, wouldn't have been allowed to park at work anyway and the bus service was rubbish.

I got fed up with bad treatment from all types of road users, including pedestrians and other cyclists.

Then the bus service improved, and, not wanting to risk falling off again (twice in a year, once my fault, the other because of a taxi forcing me to brake on a frosty road because he didn't have the courtesy to wait a few seconds), I switched to the bus. Then the bus service got worse and worse and I'm glad I was able to move away from that city.

Fewer children cycle these days. My Dad took me out cycling to teach me the ways of the road, and we had cycle training at school. When everyone cycled as a child and teenager, it gave them the freedom to go further afield independently and taught them valuable road-user skills so that when they did learn to drive, they could still understand the needs of cyclists.

Now we have death-wish cyclists who've never had cycle training at school (I know it's available in some places, but they didn't enrol) or from their parents and drivers who've never cycled, plus pedestrians glued to their mobiles and stressed delivery drivers with impossible schedules to adhere to. Not a happy mix.

It's the same with the treatment of horse-riders. Some motorists think it's fine to rev and sound their horns and there are horrific collisions and injuries/deaths as a result.

It's a selfish world out there.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 4th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 5,652 Thanks
    warehouse
    Thirteen miles to work and not a road in sight, just the canal towpath. A shower at the other end and a secure area for bikes. What's not to like?
    Pants
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter