Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milzymouse14
    • By milzymouse14 2nd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    milzymouse14
    Need some advice on a loan - Any help is appreciated.
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    Need some advice on a loan - Any help is appreciated. 2nd Oct 17 at 5:33 PM
    Hello MSE Forum Users

I'm new around here and need your advice.

So I am one of many recent graduates of 2017. Officially graduated 3 months ago back in June but the ceremony was held last month. Recently I went for an interview with a very good company and within two days they have made me an offer, which I am to accept and sign contracts etc etc...

Only thing is that because I have always lived at home, this job requires me to relocate to somewhere closer so I have to look for somewhere to live. Already found some places which are relatively close to where I will be working, but I would need a loan at least to cover my expenses for the first 2 months at least, however they have told me that I can get an advance on my salary to help when I do fully relocate. As this is my first proper job I don't have a history as such, although I have borrowed in the past while I was a student.

So my question is, can I still get a loan or should I look at alternatives? I have considered family beforehand, but they might not be able to help. I've asked my bank but they want to see at least 3 months worth of wage slips before getting one.

Any advice?

Thanks very much.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 2nd Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 13,691 Posts
    • 14,164 Thanks
    zx81
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    You won't get a mainstream loan with no income.

Take the salary advance, borrow from family, sell stuff.
    • milzymouse14
    • By milzymouse14 2nd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    milzymouse14
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    Not to worry
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    That's fair enough.

Have found a relatively mainstream company who are willing to consider my circumstances so hopefully I will find a resolution there.

Thanks anyways.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 2nd Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    have you asked for a graduate loan, not just a loan?
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Oct 17 grocery challenge £130.57/£150
    • milzymouse14
    • By milzymouse14 2nd Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    milzymouse14
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    I have considered...
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    Hello,

I have had a look at the graduate loans provided by a few banks, but mine (NatWest) don't seem to do Graduate Loans by the looks of it.

Don't think I would be eligible though as I haven't started work yet and probably would need some sort of proof like Wage Slips or something like that . Was looking at their Graduate Account but since I have a normal account whilst at uni I might not be eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 2nd Oct 17, 8:57 PM
    • 24,103 Posts
    • 11,381 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:57 PM
    Lloyds/Halifax seem to have done away with Graduate loans too - my eldest was looking for one last week.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 2nd Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 4,392 Posts
    • 5,005 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    Have you asked your new employer if they would consider an advance or a short term loan to help you relocate?

A long time ago when I got my first job after completing my PhD I was able to get a graduate loan from Natwest, but this was over 17 years ago.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • milzymouse14
    • By milzymouse14 7th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    milzymouse14
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    I did, yes...
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    Hello,

So sorry it took me so long to respond! Don't remember getting a notification.

My employers are willing to give me a small advance however I would need to be there before I can get it although they are working things out to try and issue it to me sooner.

It's a shame that many places don't seem to cater for such situations but there are a few if you look. NatWest does have a Graduate Account which I believe comes with an interest free overdraft of a certain amount, but it probably won't be enough to help me to relocate., and not sure if it's possible to switch from a Normal Current account I have with them.

Sometimes it's not as simple as asking Family (referring to 2nd post), especially that it's so short notice as well. At the moment it's looking like I have to take a loan out (although my rating ain't all that I have been approved for one) to cover the majority of costs for the time being.

Thanks.
    Last edited by milzymouse14; 07-10-2017 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Slight typo...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,195Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin