Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phoenixm34
    • By phoenixm34 2nd Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    phoenixm34
    Affordability Reviews
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    Affordability Reviews 2nd Oct 17 at 5:05 PM
    I have been paying Link Financial (I believe Virgin Money sold the credit card debt on to them) for about 4 years, and I have recently been receiving texts saying I need to complete an affordability review, as it's been 12 months since my last one.

I'm 99% certain that I've never had an affordability review with them in all the years I've been paying them, and my circumstances haven't changed, so my question is do I have to do one (I'd rather not, and would rather continue paying what I have been paying)?
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    Hi phoenixm34

Welcome to MSE. It's very normal for creditors and debt collection agencies (DCAs) to want to review your financial circumstances. They want to know if you're in a position where you can afford to pay more towards their debt.

Whilst you don't have to agree to provide the information, you run the risk that they would be more likely to take further action against you if you don't, for example applying for a CCJ. If your circumstances have not changed since the last time you made them an offer it's likely your payments will remain the same.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 2nd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 12,176 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    Affordability is the key word these days.

It works both ways as well, they may say your paying too much, and reduce your payment accordingly, it has happened.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there, and delete spam.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • phoenixm34
    • By phoenixm34 2nd Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    phoenixm34
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    Thank you both. I’ll get in touch and provide the required information.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin