Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Green_Tea
    • By Green_Tea 2nd Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Green_Tea
    Outstanding Student Loan ignored for years
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    Outstanding Student Loan ignored for years 2nd Oct 17 at 4:45 PM
    Hello,
    Just looking for some advice on my outstanding Student Loans.

I took out 3 loans (around 2000 pounds in total) from 1992 to 1994 and moved to S.E. Asia after graduation, supplying deferment certificates from my employer as I was earning well under the threshold. After one such annual deferment I received a letter informing me that they hadn't received the salary statement for 2 of the loans. However one of the loans was successfully deferred. I wrote back saying that they obviously had received the salary statement as one of the loans had already been deferred. Letters went backwards and forwards with charges getting added to my loans, with them demanding replies within unrealistic time limits (I was receiving the letters after ]the 'reply by XX days of this letter' date. They somehow refused to acknowledge the fact that they must have received the salary statement and said I had to pay the arrears and send them another salary statement. I probably sent some letters back ridiculing their level of incompetence, telling them to sort it out and clear the charges.

That was the last time I ever contacted them (circa 2001), though they continued to send statements and requests for payments. I moved job and location, although my old employer regularly forwarded their letters (I had given SLC the company's PO Box as my contact address). Eventually, I guess around 2004/5, I received a Debt Collection agency's request for payment and was informed by my father that some men had gone to his house in the UK wanting payment. This was odd as he had nothing to do with my uni education (I was a mature student) and I hadn't actually ever even visited his house or used it as a contact address; he had moved whilst I was abroad. He told them where to go, and again I made no contact with them.

Roll on 2011 and I received, via my old boss, a letter from a collection agency based in Singapore demanding payment. This again I ignored and there has been no letters from them or anyone else since.

Throughout this period I earned less than threshold.

I turned 50 last year and recently relocated, though still out of the UK. I am now earning a substantial salary and could payback the loan. So I was wondering how to find out the outstanding amount or whether the loan has in fact been cancelled. As far as I'm aware a CCJ was never issued and I have had credit cards issued from a UK bank within the last few years.

I have no intention of returning to the UK to live, but it would be nice to find out how I stand.

Thank you.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,038Posts Today

4,232Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin