Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amybaker
    • By amybaker 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 13Thanks
    amybaker
    Advice plz!!! Need to downsize but have rent arrears!!
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    Advice plz!!! Need to downsize but have rent arrears!! 2nd Oct 17 at 4:33 PM
    Can anyone help me please? We are currently living in a 3 bed housing association house its just me,my husband and my daughter who's 7 now, my 16yr old son was living with us but moved out on 23rd July 2017 , we are having to pay bedroom tax now and because of circumstances we are in 1200 pounds rent arrears, is there anywhere we can go who would pay this and we pay them back, as we've found a homeswap to a 2 bed house which would be lower rent and no bedroom tax but Orbit are saying we cant move cos of rent arrears, anyone help plz?? we are desperate ...
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 2nd Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    I doubt anyone would lend you the £1200 if you have rent arrears.

You're clearly missing approx. £500 a month in income. Where and how would you pay them back?

You could look to go private?
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 2nd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 27,207 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    I think you might be better off posting on the debt free wannabe board for advice on how you can pay off your arrears.
    How much is your rent now vs your income?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 2nd Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 12,632 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    Can anyone help me please? We are currently living in a 3 bed housing association house its just me,my husband and my daughter who's 7 now, my 16yr old son was living with us but moved out on 23rd July 2017 , we are having to pay bedroom tax now and because of circumstances we are in 1200 pounds rent arrears, is there anywhere we can go who would pay this and we pay them back, as we've found a homeswap to a 2 bed house which would be lower rent and no bedroom tax but Orbit are saying we cant move cos of rent arrears, anyone help plz?? we are desperate ...
    Originally posted by amybaker
    If you are £1200 in rent arrears then the bedroom tax cannot be the sole reason why you have such a large amount of rent arrears.

No criticism intended but just to say that moving to a smaller property may not solve the problem and you would continue to get into rent arrears.

Most HAs have this rule so it may be that you need to address the rent arrears before considering a house swap.

So I am presuming that you are receiving HB. If you are then you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

To be honest, a visit to CAB may be the way forward or post on the DebtFree Wannabe board (not just for those in debts) for ideas about increasing your income or decreasing your expenditure.

Have you other debts? Is there any way to increase your income?

If you wish to share further information about your situation then we may be able to offer further suggestions.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 2nd Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    Are you saying that your son's room was giving you £600 per month in rent because this is what it looks as if you have written? How much is your total rent if the room your son had contributed £600 per month to the total? Or are you saying that since he left the arrears that you already had have increased to £1200 because if this is the case what you need to do is to find a way to pay them off or you will keep getting into a arrears.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 2nd Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    aneary
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    Are you saying that your son's room was giving you £600 per month in rent because this is what it looks as if you have written? How much is your total rent if the room your son had contributed £600 per month to the total? Or are you saying that since he left the arrears that you already had have increased to £1200 because if this is the case what you need to do is to find a way to pay them off or you will keep getting into a arrears.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I think there was already rental debt but now there is increased debt due to a reduction in benefits as they have a three bedroom house instead of a 2 bedroom house.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 2nd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 15,290 Posts
    • 13,623 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    If you are £1200 in rent arrears then the bedroom tax cannot be the sole reason why you have such a large amount of rent arrears.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Quite. A 14% cut in housing benefit for just over two months, because of a single unoccupied room, does not give rise to a £1,200 shortfall.

So I am presuming that you are receiving HB.
    If they weren't, then the "bedroom tax" would not be an issue.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 2nd Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    How about a lodger for the now empty bedroom?
    • Ci bach
    • By Ci bach 2nd Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Ci bach
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    1) Can anyone in the household get employment to the level that would take you off Housing Benefit?

or

2) try applying for Discretionary Housing Payment.

DHP, if awarded will provide short term temporary help with housing costs - could cover the shortfall fully or partially. If awarded, It probably wont make much of a dent in the debt already accrued but will help for future payments albeit for a limited time
    Along with the application submit a factual Income and Expenditure form and a covering letter explaining that you are applying on the grounds on financial hardship. You will also need to submit proof of income - benefit award letters bank statements etc.

NB. The award is discretionary NOT mandatory so you might not be awarded anything.

3)You may find it useful to revisit your budget and make your money work for you rather than be held hostage to your debts.

Option 1 above is probably the better solution preferably coupled with option 3

HTH

CB
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 2nd Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    HampshireH
    As others have said that's a significant amount and cannot be associated solely with "bedroom tax" .

If you aren't able to clear your arrears to move how are you going to afford to move? Pay for the gas man/electrician to disconnect/reconnect your appliances etc because this isn't usually free. A HA may disconnect gas but won't reconnect etc

There would also need to be no debts on meters etc on an MX. Your original post doesn't give info on any other debts so its hard to say whether this would/wouldn't be relevant.

Its unusual for a 16 y/o to leave home, especially as they now need to be in full time education until 18 - will he be gone permanently or returning?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 3rd Oct 17, 3:25 AM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 6,704 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I'd advise you to go to the CAB and ask for debt counselling. Take every bit of paperwork you have with you with regards money you owe. Make a list as well. Get them to help you sort out what you can afford to pay off. Then start paying them off. You can, as already advised, apply for a discretionary housing payment but it sounds like it will only cover part of the arrears.

Every HA is different but there is a chance if you show you are making attempts to pay your debts off and making payments to reduce your arrears regularly, they MIGHT let you move. Get your MP involved as well.

But get the finances sorted out otherwise this will never get better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,644Posts Today

6,895Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin