Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lancelottcb
    • By lancelottcb 2nd Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lancelottcb
    I recorded HSBC agreeing to take a default off my credit file but did not
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    I recorded HSBC agreeing to take a default off my credit file but did not 2nd Oct 17 at 3:58 PM
    Hi,
    I have a Default on my credit file that has been put on there by HSBC for my old Current account.

the account is now closed and the Account was in arrears by £5315

as part of paying off the debt HSBC agreed to take the default off my credit file ( and i have video proof of the phone call)

I made the payment in full in April but the default is still on my file.

I went to the FOS but they said it was just a mistake by the agent who got confused? Surely they have to give correct information over the phone.

please help
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 2nd Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    Although it is within the creditors power to remove defaults in exchange for full payment, it is rare that they do so, usually there must of been some kind of extenuating circumstance to warrant it.

You should also of got them to confirm in writing before you paid them, so you were both clear on the terms of the settlement, things agreed verbally must be backed up in writing.

You appear to have already exhausted the complaints procedure, you could try the ICO but its more than likely they will side with the FOS.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 02-10-2017 at 4:15 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • lancelottcb
    • By lancelottcb 3rd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lancelottcb
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    So even though I have a video of me speaking to a customer adviser and they tell me it will get removed.... that would not stand up in court? if I were to take it that far?
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 3rd Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    So even though I have a video of me speaking to a customer adviser and they tell me it will get removed.... that would not stand up in court? if I were to take it that far?
    Originally posted by lancelottcb

If the FOS have said that the advisor wasn't in a position to say it, you're on a hiding to nothing potentially.

It's why all agreements must be in writing, because the people who have the authority to make these decisions can do so.

This person may well have said they would take the default off, and then got overruled by the people who actually have the power to do it.

Finally, did you tell the advisor you were recording them? If not, you're not allowed to use that recording in court as it's a breach of data protection. You're allowed to record calls only with consent from both sides, hence the "Just so you know, we record these calls" stuff you get when calling anyone who does record.
    • Smevchenko
    • By Smevchenko 3rd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Smevchenko
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    If the FOS have said that the advisor wasn't in a position to say it, you're on a hiding to nothing potentially.

It's why all agreements must be in writing, because the people who have the authority to make these decisions can do so.

This person may well have said they would take the default off, and then got overruled by the people who actually have the power to do it.

Finally, did you tell the advisor you were recording them? If not, you're not allowed to use that recording in court as it's a breach of data protection. You're allowed to record calls only with consent from both sides, hence the "Just so you know, we record these calls" stuff you get when calling anyone who does record.
    Originally posted by StopIt
    Do you have rights to ask HSBC for their copy of the recorded call?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 3rd Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    Do you have rights to ask HSBC for their copy of the recorded call?
    Originally posted by Smevchenko
    You can make a subject access request, but that still dosent take away the fact the decision maker is not the call handler.

Call handlers have no authority to agree to such things.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • lancelottcb
    • By lancelottcb 3rd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lancelottcb
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    I have had this experience with vodaphone in the past (who also record calls).

I wanted to get into a contract for a new Iphone which was supposed to be just a 32gb iphone. The sales rep really wanted the sale I think so told me I would get 64gb Iphone.

when the phone arrived it was a 32gb Iphone. So I rang vodphone and told them to listen to the call

When a ( representative) told me on the call about a certain phone I would be getting ( 64gb Iphone rather than a 32gb iphone) they had to honour it even though the representative was wrong to do so.

does this same rule not apply?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 3rd Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    I have had this experience with vodaphone in the past (who also record calls).

I wanted to get into a contract for a new Iphone which was supposed to be just a 32gb iphone. The sales rep really wanted the sale I think so told me I would get 64gb Iphone.

when the phone arrived it was a 32gb Iphone. So I rang vodphone and told them to listen to the call

When a ( representative) told me on the call about a certain phone I would be getting ( 64gb Iphone rather than a 32gb iphone) they had to honour it even though the representative was wrong to do so.

does this same rule not apply?
    Originally posted by lancelottcb

Thing is they probably didn't have to honour it but chose to - they wouldn't want to lose a customer over what is (to them) a trivial matter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin