Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naemoney
    • By Naemoney 2nd Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Naemoney
    Bankruptcy, I'm a bit confused!
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    Bankruptcy, I'm a bit confused! 2nd Oct 17 at 3:27 PM
    Dear Forum,

I'm a new member! I've been looking through this forum for weeks looking for advice.

With the help of the CAB I've gone bankrupt and it's so scary! I'm now an emotional wreck! My money advisor is on annual leave so I've not been able to speak to them.

The advice I need is regarding bank accounts My bank accounts where still active with two different banks, one of which I had credit card debts with the other no problems, I thought they will probably be frozen soon and the bank with the debts will be closed, so I decided as I was bankrupt I would open a new basic account at Barclays according to their website you could have an account with them even if bankrupt. So went along to make enquiries and make an appointment so far so good checked the website to see what ID I needed and I meet the criteria or so I thought! When I when to make the appointment I was asked what ID I would be applying with luckily I had taken it with me, also I told them srtraight of the bat I was bankrupt. I was taken aside then three assistants told that I didn't have the right ID I show them a print out from the website confirming I had the right ID but they said no come back with the right ID and we will made an appointment. Went back the next day they reluctantly made an appointment for me which I accepted only to get a phone call on the way home to say they would have to change it but it wouldn't be until the 31 Oct now at the point it was only 23th Sept so I agreed to this date.

So as I was in town still I thought I would go to my present bank where I've never been as much as overdrawn nothing no charges anything and tell them my predicament BIG MISTAKE by the time I got home my account was frozen even though they said this wouldn't happen!!!! Now all my benefits are being paid in I'm up the proverbial creek!!!!

This is my question my other account is still active and according to Clearscore my bankruptcy appears on my report but for some reason since then I can't view my report anymore but I can log in?! Has anyone else experienced this? Also I've opened a basic TSB account a couple of days age I was declined for a current account but maybe not due to bankruptcy maybe for my income it didn't say but they advised me that I could have the basicl account I asked for, again totally upfront about my situation so has the bankruptcy gone through? or will the TSB now freeze this account too? I've taken a gamble or so it feels! And I've asked for my benefits to be paid to the TSB as they said the account was active straight away I got a sort code etc there and then.

So you see my dilemma?! Totally confused! Exhausted living on my nerves!

I NEVER want to be in this situation again!!!!!!!

Please help.

Best wishes Naemoney
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    Hi there Naemoney

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I'm having a little difficulty understanding exactly what you wish to know here, sorry. You suggest that you are unsure whether the bankruptcy has "gone through"? If that is the case, check the Insolvency Register for your name: https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/

I'd suggest that you contact the Official Receiver handling your case - their details should be available via the register above - to let them know if you have been left without any access to funds for essential living expenses. They can contact your bank(s) if needs be to allow funds to be released.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Naemoney
    • By Naemoney 2nd Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Naemoney
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    Thank you.
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    Thank you for the reply,

What I meant was do credit agencies know is it on their system that I'm bankrupt? If not when the system is updated will TSB freeze my new account.

My trustee says they have no interest in my bank accounts as I don't have to make an contributions as all my income is from benefits, they say they have no influence over the bank's desicion to freeze my account.

Naemoney.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 2nd Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,461 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    Sorry I can't really help with the questions about the bank you already have. However Co-op cashminder is a good account to have if you've gone through bankruptcy.

Hope you get sorted.
    • Naemoney
    • By Naemoney 2nd Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Naemoney
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    Thank you.
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply,

My new TSB account was opened after being declared bankrupt I told them my situation and the TSB say they will not freeze the account but now I don't trust them as that's what Lloyd's said the only difference being Lloyd's was before bankruptcy TSB is after it happened.
    I just don't trust what anyone says now!
    This has been a huge learning curve! To say the least!

Thanks again everyone!

Best wishes,
    Naemoney
    • Naemoney
    • By Naemoney 3rd Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Naemoney
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    Update!
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    Hi forum,

Yesterday I spoke to my trustee they said they couldn't help regarding my frozen bank account, so today I called them again and a different person said they would speak to the bank.
    So anyone in the same situation keep trying is my advice.

Best wishes,

Naemoney.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin