Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • magenta666
    • By magenta666 2nd Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    magenta666
    Halifax Affordability checks
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    Halifax Affordability checks 2nd Oct 17 at 3:20 PM
    Hi

Iím on a DMP with Stepchange. Have been since January 2010. Had my Halifax mortgage since 2000. I used to be able to refix each time my fixed rate ended. But have been on their svr for a few years now. I understand now that they go through affordability checks even though Iím not borrowing more money.

Iím on a lower income now than when I got my mortgage as I got out of working in London.

Canít do it online because I had a payment holiday two and a half years ago.

Just saw a site called switchrates.co.uk that make the switch for you. Anyone used them?

Any advice on my situation appreciated.

x
Page 1
    • smitchy73
    • By smitchy73 2nd Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 3,106 Thanks
    smitchy73
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    You could read Martin's newsletter from last week, as there was an article in that about switching to a better rate and being cheaper, and if so, the Chancellor wrote to banks stating that if it's cheaper it should mean it is affordable and not to do the affordability checks, read the article, good advice.
    2015/16 - £200 High Street Vouchers/Vodafone Prize pack+Beats Headphones(£600)
    Thanks to all the comp posters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

1,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin