Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cahoot-complaints
    • By cahoot-complaints 2nd Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    cahoot-complaints
    Indemnity form needed?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    Indemnity form needed? 2nd Oct 17 at 3:05 PM
    Hi,

As an executor, I need an indemnity form or letter to send to beneficiaries for them to sign so they can receive an interim payment.

Anyone know where could I get one as I've googled but no luck?

Many Thanks
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 2nd Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3,371 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    Hi,

As an executor, I need an indemnity form or letter to send to beneficiaries for them to sign so they can receive an interim payment.

Anyone know where could I get one as I've googled but no luck?

Many Thanks
    Originally posted by cahoot-complaints
    Who has told you need one? AFAIK you don't!.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 02-10-2017 at 9:00 PM.
    • cahoot-complaints
    • By cahoot-complaints 3rd Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cahoot-complaints
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    I have read on a few sites where they outline the steps for executors and they advise that a form or letter of indemnity as an added layer of protection just in case something pops up before we are able to issue the final payments to all beneficiaries.

It is the first time either of us has been executors so want to make sure we cover ourselves. We also are getting executors insurance.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 3rd Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3,371 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    I have read on a few sites where they outline the steps for executors and they advise that a form or letter of indemnity as an added layer of protection just in case something pops up before we are able to issue the final payments to all beneficiaries.

It is the first time either of us has been executors so want to make sure we cover ourselves. We also are getting executors insurance.
    Noted. I have never heard of anyone using one. As for insurance this seems a waste of money unless the estate is very complex. Really you should only need to issue interim payments if there is some unusual delay. Are the beneficiaries harrasing you to pay?
    • cahoot-complaints
    • By cahoot-complaints 3rd Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cahoot-complaints
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    Yes been going on for too long and not due to complete until early 2018 so we want to release an interim distribution as well as fully cover ourselves with insurance and an indemnity agreement signed by beneficiaries. Do you know where I could get an indemnity form/letter from? Thanks
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    Don't be hassled by impatient beneficiaries; quite a few people don't realise the complexities of estate distribution until they are actually doing it themselves. You must take your time to make sure that all the primary bills are paid before even considering them. This way you will cover yourself.
    There is no need to buy insurance if you follow the set procedure. The Probate Office website has plenty of information to guide you, and they have excellent advisers you can call when you need to.
    If you haven't done so already, a notice in the London Gazette is usually enough to cover a layperson's liabilities from the likes of the DWP etc.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 3rd Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    As a beneficiary I would be reluctant to sign anything like that, and as you still have the proceeds of a house sale as part of the final payment it seems you have plenty of assets to cover any depts crawling out of the woodwork before making those final payments.

If you have any doubts about that don't make any interim payments. Perhaps you should have let the solicitor finish the process after all.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 3rd Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 3,371 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    Yes been going on for too long and not due to complete until early 2018 so we want to release an interim distribution as well as fully cover ourselves with insurance and an indemnity agreement signed by beneficiaries. Do you know where I could get an indemnity form/letter from? Thanks
    Why the long delay? In any case why should a beneficiary sign an indemnity anyway. There really is no obvious reason why one is needed. Please could you tell us why you think it is needed.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 3rd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    'Going on for too long', is that their opinion, your's, or the Law's? I get the impression that it is perhaps becoming a worrying burden to you. If that is the case, you can always ask a solicitor to help you out on an ad-hoc basis. I have done this in the past when I became too ill to manage a simple executorship. The costs were minimal and were paid from the estate.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 3rd Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    'Going on for too long', is that their opinion, your's, or the Law's? I get the impression that it is perhaps becoming a worrying burden to you. If that is the case, you can always ask a solicitor to help you out on an ad-hoc basis. I have done this in the past when I became too ill to manage a simple executorship. The costs were minimal and were paid from the estate.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    The OP did use a solicitor to get probate but wanted to do the distribution and house sale themselves, but that, with hindsight, may not have been the best idea.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5710136
    • cahoot-complaints
    • By cahoot-complaints 3rd Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cahoot-complaints
    Thanks for your input everyone, no indemnity needed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin