Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • traybonoaholly
    • By traybonoaholly 2nd Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 0Thanks
    traybonoaholly
    How long is an acceptable time to find a new home
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    How long is an acceptable time to find a new home 2nd Oct 17 at 2:18 PM
    Hi there,
    My house sold STC 17 days ago and was taken off the open market. I wanted to ask how long others who have sold and also bought houses. How long is an acceptable length of time to expect the next person in the chain to find their new home.
    My buyer has sold theirs and every single day they are the phone wanting to know exactly what I'm doing. I do understand that they have pressure behind them so I totally empathise there.
    I am actively looking at houses everyday, I'm on rightmove all the time, I see as many houses as I can where they can fit me in.
    But it's beginning to grate on me abit the constant phonecall's. I have taken all my paperwork in to the solicitors as I don't intend to pull out but I do need to find the right property to be able to move, I'm not just going to move in to any old thing or something I don't want to so the sale goes ahead.
    Ive told my estate agent over and over again my position and I have also told them that they will be the absolute first to know if I find a property I want to buy or an offer I make is accepted on a property so they can let the buyer know. Everytime they know I've viewed a house they want to know if I'm buying it and if I'm not why not.
    I've found my estate agents getting quite ratty with me and saying well what will you do if you havnt found something in the next two weeks, will you rent blah blah because the buser is putting pressure on them, but im the one paying their fee not the buyer and they should be representing me. Again I've already told them I will not rent and that the sale is dependant on me finding another property to buy. From my perspective if I havnt found another property in two weeks my buyer needs to decide if they are willing to wait or not, if they are not then they shold withdraw as i cannoy try any harder here. I can't exactly say when I'm going to have found my next home, it's a case of how long is a piece of string.
    I don't know what else I can do. I've been completely honest from the start with the EA and solicitor, ive told them my situation and if the agent is putting this across I don't know what more I can do here.
    So anyway how long is an acceptable time to find a house, surely my buyer should wait until the chain has formed??.
    Last edited by traybonoaholly; 02-10-2017 at 2:24 PM.
Page 2
    • SeduLOUs
    • By SeduLOUs 3rd Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    SeduLOUs
    You should probably remind them that even if you find your house in the next couple of weeks, the person you are buying from may well be in the same position also, and only start looking for their own house when they've accepted your offer.

It's difficult to be patient when you are excited, but this is part of the reason why house buying is so stressful. It's not the paperwork, it's the waiting and hoping and wondering if it will all fall down. You can't just buy a house spontaneously.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 7,900 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Are you sure they are calling your estate agent every day? EAs are an impatient lot..... and they have been known to find a little.

It's a good way to put you under pressure to buy some tat they want to offload.

There is no answer to your question. About fifteen years ago I offered, informally, to buy a particular house. She still lives there, but she's brought the subject up at least once in the last five years!
    • Scotbot
    • By Scotbot 3rd Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Scotbot
    A couple of weeks is unreasonable I woild enquire after 4 and after 6 I would be out looking again unless it were a really distinctive property. My vendor had already been out looking before marketing her house and found something she wanted to offer on.

I always ask the buyer what their position is . If they haven't started looking that's a no in my book. I looked at one place lovely house but the couple wanted a bungalow in the same area. Fine but there aren't any on the market right now. That and a busy road made it a no for me

My guess is your buyers have seen something else and if you haven't found something in a week or so you will lose them. 4 weeks is enough time to offer on a property if you have already identified one
    Last edited by Scotbot; 03-10-2017 at 9:05 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 3rd Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Why are you moving?

If you need to move area then it tends to be easier, you just find something decent in the area you want to go to.

If you have just decided to move because you think you can now afford a better house, they probably suspect that you are finding out that you can't actually afford what you thought you could afford, and might decide not to move after all. If this is the case they want to know sooner rather than later, to avoid wasting their time. This is not uncommon.
    • traybonoaholly
    • By traybonoaholly 3rd Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    traybonoaholly
    i am down sizing. i have lots of equity in my house so money isnt an issue here, location is though. so there isnt a huge amount of properties that i am looking for at the moment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,844Posts Today

7,967Users online

Martin's Twitter