Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sansax
    • By sansax 2nd Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sansax
    Possible IN10
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    Possible IN10 2nd Oct 17 at 2:16 PM
    Hey Guys,

About 2 weeks ago I got pulled over and told the officer I was driving to work in my dads car thinking I had insurance.

I did have comprehensive insurance but it was only social domestic and pleasure use.

The insurance company at the time let me drive home and then we cancelled the policy as they wouldn't cover me for commuting. I took out another insurance elsewhere this time with commuting and me as the main driver. I haven't declared any points as I don't have any...yet.

I wanted to ask, will I be looking at 6 points? Just been reading around thinking I may be lucky due to the fact that if I did crash, the insurance company would still cover me for third party but chase me for the money therefore I was still covered?

This is completely my fault I know - I hardly touch the car as I train it into work but that day I was going out with friends in the evening hence I didn't take too much notice of the commuting part. I ASSUMED i was covered to drive.

Also it's been 2 weeks and I've yet to receive a court letter? Does this usually take up to 6 months?
Page 2
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 2nd Oct 17, 9:11 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Not entirely sure where "theft" is coming from. I'm a named driver on the car. I have permission to use it as and when I need to from my dad. I don't have to ask him permission to use the car or where I am taking it.
    Originally posted by sansax
    Make sure you tell that to the magistrates and your dad can have six points too.
    • sansax
    • By sansax 2nd Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sansax
    How is this theft or whatever else you lot are discussing?

I'm confused. I'm a named driver on the car. I don't even tell my parents I take the car... certainly didn't tell them that morning either.

Surely that won't come up in court?
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 2nd Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Robisere
    This young person has come here with a request for advice about the
    situation. He/she is a Newbie and all of us know what that means, providing we read the notice in large red letters beside his/her post.

I am not able to advise one way or another, but I would certainly not try to give out scary, inappropriate warnings about hypothetical results of the event. Can someone here please give out the correct advice, relevant to the situation?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 3rd Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 4,200 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    Are you 100% sure you're being reported for an offence? Or are you just assuming that you have been.
    • bonnyrigger
    • By bonnyrigger 3rd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bonnyrigger
    How did plod know you were driving to work - because you opened your mouth and told them! All you needed to say was you were out for a jolly drive in the country/town i.e. using the car for "pleasure" or going to the shops "domestic".
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 3rd Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Robisere
    How did plod know you were driving to work - because you opened your mouth and told them! All you needed to say was you were out for a jolly drive in the country/town i.e. using the car for "pleasure" or going to the shops "domestic".
    Originally posted by bonnyrigger
    That's unhelpful.

Why do so many people here want to have a go at someone who just wants advice? You are a Newbie yourself: that's a bad start. Imagine that you came here for advice about something worrying you. How would you feel, if all you got was cynical abuse.

This Forum is going downhill.

• bonnyrigger
    • By bonnyrigger 3rd Oct 17, 4:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bonnyrigger
    Sorry wasn't trying to be unhelpful - just wondering how the subject of "type of destination" came up in a presumably routine stop and somewhat surprised that the police would actually check up to this extent.
    I may be a forum newbie but I've been driving in the UK and Europe for 35 years and have yet to blemish my licence.

Of course I will now get done for something - sods law applies
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 3rd Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Robisere
    bonnyrigger, I also apologise, should not have been so curt, it's just that sometimes on this Forum lately, people seem to offer discourtesy instead of useful advice.

My own driving history,in the UK, Europe and North America, goes back 55 years. Everything from motorcycles to tracked vehicles and aircraft recovery artic's.

• dacouch
    • By dacouch 3rd Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 20,289 Posts
    • 12,530 Thanks
    dacouch
    Sorry wasn't trying to be unhelpful - just wondering how the subject of "type of destination" came up in a presumably routine stop and somewhat surprised that the police would actually check up to this extent.
    I may be a forum newbie but I've been driving in the UK and Europe for 35 years and have yet to blemish my licence.

Of course I will now get done for something - sods law applies
    Originally posted by bonnyrigger
    Because a) Traffic Police normally start a conversation off with "Evening sir, where are you off to" b) If they do not start the conversation off with the question they will place it into the conversation at some point c) They are also trained to take notice of indicators someone is heading to/from work eg wearing a uniform
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 3rd Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Because a) Traffic Police normally start a conversation off with "Evening sir, where are you off to" b) If they do not start the conversation off with the question they will place it into the conversation at some point c) They are also trained to take notice of indicators someone is heading to/from work eg wearing a uniform
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Utter tosh.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

1,881Users online

Martin's Twitter