Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gashton75
    • By Gashton75 2nd Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gashton75
    0 WOW
    Avis - fraudulently charged for Breakdown when not requested!!
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Avis - fraudulently charged for Breakdown when not requested!! 2nd Oct 17 at 1:53 PM
    Hi there, just wondering if any one can offer advise.

on a recent trip to LA, i hired a car from Avis - they talked me through the agreement, said i didnt need to take any insurances out as i already had them, only needed to hand the car back as their fuel was cheaper than the stations around

the total said the amount due was $0 so i signed.

it wasnt until i returned to the UK and my credit card was charged £89 that i called them and thats when they told me that it was for a breakdown service - something i had not asked for, not had it been explained to me

I believe this is incredibly bad practice, and was fraudulently added after a 12hour flight, 2 hours at the LA airport, and 90mins waiting in line for the car hire.

Ive disputed this with Avis since the 16th August, been met with incompetence, rudeness, "pass the buck" attitudes and numerous delays to be told today (2nd OCt) that i signed the agreement (something i've not disputed) and they wont do anything about the amount taken - not even a jesture....they wouldn't even let me speak to a Manager

I am at my wits end - i am not normally someone to get so upset, but it wasnt asked for, wasn't explained and the man even told me i owed nothing as i had a good deal with everything included.

CAn any one help?? i was in LA for a memorial for my partner who passed away in January!!!!

Many thanks
Page 1
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 12:11 AM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:11 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:11 AM
    Was it in the documents they gave you when you picked the car up?
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

7,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin