Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 2nd Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,735Posts
    • 892Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Halifax Bank do not look after their customers!
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    Halifax Bank do not look after their customers! 2nd Oct 17 at 12:28 PM
    I have just been into town to pay quite a lot of cash into the Halifax Branch in our town and was informed that they were closed until next Wednesday.

So I called into Lloyds Bank and asked if I could pay in there, the answer was NO! The Lloyds cashier said that the Halifax had been closed for a week, lots of disgruntled Halifax customers who had then to travel 5 miles to the next town to a Halifax bank.

It would have been so easy to send an email or letter advising customers about this closure.

I am now looking to move banks.

Fortyfoot
Page 1
    • takman
    • By takman 2nd Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 2,244 Thanks
    takman
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    This is another good example of why you should have multiple current accounts with different banks. You could have then simply gone to another branch in the town to pay it in (if there is one).

Plus there is a lot of money to be made in switching bonuses and interest by having accounts with multiple banks!.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 2nd Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    How often do you use this branch? Often when temporary branch closures are planned, only people who regularly use it (or have very recently used it) are notified by the bank concerned. I imagine this is what has happened here.

Bear in mind that for a lot of people the branch their account is held at is irrelevant as they are many miles away, so sending letters to them saying "your account holding branch, which is at the other end of the country, is closing for a refurb" is pointless and a waste of money. So is sending them to people who never set foot in a branch except for the once a year they get a birthday cheque from Auntie Nora.

Also also, there may be very exigent reasons why the branch is shut which Halifax couldn't have warned anyone about - a raid or other security/property related incident springs to mind.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 02-10-2017 at 1:36 PM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 2nd Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    It would have been so easy to send an email or letter advising customers about this closure.
    Originally posted by Fortyfoot
    I agree. So many organisations require us to give them our email addresses and use it to send us offers that often don't interest us but don't use it to tell us things we need to know like the local branch being closed.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 2nd Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    I agree. So many organisations require us to give them our email addresses and use it to send us offers that often don't interest us but don't use it to tell us things we need to know like the local branch being closed.
    Originally posted by MarkFromCornwall
    See my post above. Obviously this hinges on how often OP uses their Halifax branch but it's still a waste of effort. A lot of people genuinely don't need or want to know and would be non-plussed or even annoyed by such an email.

Also, we don't actually know the circumstances.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 2nd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    See my post above. Obviously this hinges on how often OP uses their Halifax branch but it's still a waste of effort. A lot of people genuinely don't need or want to know and would be non-plussed or even annoyed by such an email.

Also, we don't actually know the circumstances.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Yes, but the point is, if the bank was using its computer systems to the benefit of the customer it would only take a few clicks for them to send an email to those who had used the branch in, say, the last year.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 2nd Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    Yes, but the point is, if the bank was using its computer systems to the benefit of the customer it would only take a few clicks for them to send an email to those who had used the branch in, say, the last year.
    Originally posted by MarkFromCornwall
    You don't know that they didn't. As noted the OP hasn't said how often they use this branch. It is also often not "a few clicks", especially if it's something that's happened at short notice.

"Within the last year" is also an overly long timescale, and would include all sorts of people who would probably find such an email irrelevant or actively annoying/concerning (e.g. someone who just happened to pass through and use the branch).
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 2nd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    I use it once or twice a month, I do have another account with the Nationwide, nearest branch is again 5 miles away.

We use Morrison's supermarkets in Elland, Bradford and Boroughbridge, the other day we got an invite to the wine tasting event at Boroughbridge!
    So it is possible to send out selective emails.

HSBC, who are in my town, have an offer of upto £200 to move to them, so back down town again tomorrow.

Thanks for your comments.

Fortyfoot
    • Mee
    • By Mee 2nd Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Mee
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    May I suggest logging your complaint online to save on further costs:
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/contactus/how-to-complain/default.asp
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 2nd Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    May I suggest logging your complaint online to save on further costs:
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/contactus/how-to-complain/default.asp
    Originally posted by Mee
    I have had no costs nor will I, all being well it should be £200 profit stimulated by Halifax Bank. I always find it best to complain to my MP, they usually put the boot in. These contact us forms will probably not be read.

I called into the local tonight for a pint and was advised that the two week closure is due to planned improvements which coincide with closing the branch in the next town.

I am advised that there is a notice on the bank's door giving details of the closure.

An old lady was spoken to by a friend on the bus on Saturday morning, she said that she had received what she thought was a "scam" phone call from the bank. She just wanted to call in and talk to her bank about the problem. She was on the 11.40 bus to Halifax, would they be open when she arrived?

I have noticed that older people rely on visiting their local bank, so I wonder how many had been let down by the Halifax.

So, there were no "very exigent reasons why the branch is shut which Halifax couldn't have warned anyone about - a raid or other security/property related incident"

They knew months in advance!

Prospective HSBC customer.

Thanks for taking part.

Fortyfoot
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 2nd Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    Prospective HSBC customer.
    Check this list of HSBC branch closures before you commit yourself!
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/758208/HSBC-branch-closure-list
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 2nd Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 6,970 Posts
    • 8,586 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I always find it best to complain to my MP
    Don't give those scumbags more excuses to claim for office expenses.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 3rd Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Mee
    I have had no costs nor will I, all being well it should be £200 profit stimulated by Halifax Bank. I always find it best to complain to my MP, they usually put the boot in. These contact us forms will probably not be read.
    Fortyfoot
    Sorry I thought the rant about the mileage inferred a cost. I won't waste more of my time here, but will say each time I used the online form I received £75 from Halifax and Lloyd's. They have to answer them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,550Posts Today

7,567Users online

Martin's Twitter