Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Caggsey
    • By Caggsey 2nd Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Caggsey
    Switch bank account 4 yrs post bankruptcy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    Switch bank account 4 yrs post bankruptcy 2nd Oct 17 at 12:27 PM
    I was declared bankrupt in 2013 and have banked with Think Money since but their service is appalling and it costs £19 month. Will I be able to get a standard bank account now and will I be able to use the switch service? Also will applying badly affect my credit score which I have been working to improve?
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 2nd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    You'll be able to use the Switch service is both banks are members of the switching service.

At the very least you can open a Basic bank account nearly everywhere with no credit checks. You may be able to open a standard current account by now. Go around your high street and speak to a few friendly bank peoples and they'll give you the DL.

And no, your fictional score is not going to be a problem. Credit searches have a small impact on your history as there's triggers for too many checks in a row, but opening a new bank account or two will not really do much.
    • philnicandevan
    • By philnicandevan 3rd Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    philnicandevan
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    Dont forget as well to check your credit files (via the clean up sticky at the top of this bit of the forum) just to make sure everythings as it should be
    Not quite a newbie as you think (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..
    BSC 58
  • National Debtline
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    Hi Caggsey

Yes I would encourage you to seek a fee-free basic account without any further delay. It should in theory be a good deal easier to open one nowadays, even for undischarged bankrupts.

Good luck

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin