Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 2nd Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 609Thanks
    Litchielou
    0 WOW
    Places to visit in winter.
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    0 WOW
    Places to visit in winter. 2nd Oct 17 at 12:22 PM
    We have recently retired and wondering what places in the UK that are good days out or even a couple of days away, in winter. We live in mid Cheshire. Don't mind how far we travel and can use the car, bus or train.
    We are holidaying abroad in November so that's our sunshine sorted.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Page 1
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    • 4,828 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    Llandudno.....a walk round the Great Orme.

Morecambe.....a walk the full length of the prom from Heysham to Bare, with glorious views out across the Bay to the South Lakeland Hills.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 3rd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    Love Llandudno had 3 days there in August, will try Morecambe not been there for over 20 years.
    Thanks
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 3rd Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 2,935 Posts
    • 43,939 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    York is lovely any time of the year, but it's particularly nice close to Christmas.

Fountains Abbey/Harrogate/Knaresborough area for walks/shopping/scenery.

A lot of places tend to be more atmospheric in winter than summer; the Lakes, for example.
    #TeamCarter
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 3rd Oct 17, 6:35 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:35 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:35 PM
    Harrogate is on our list, we prefer going in winter don't like to many crowds as we want to see places properly without pushing and shoving.
    Thanks
    • Poc
    • By Poc 5th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Poc
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    If you go to Morecambe you may struggle to find places to eat. Have a look on Tripadvisor for the Morecambe Hotel and see what you think. It's actually a good pub which serves decent food.

The Midland Hotel is famous for its Art Deco features and is on the prom. You may need to book a table if you eat there. Morecambe is fighting back from years of uninvestment. However, the view across the bay is magnificent.

Have a nice visit.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 11,435 Posts
    • 7,713 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    Cornwall. As long as you avoid October half term you should be able to get around freely and walk on beaches with just one or two other walkers. Bliss when the holidaymakers aren't here!
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    Have a look at Christian Guild hotels, google it. They have an offer on for Dec, Jan, and Feb. £45 per person per night for B & B and evening meal. Min two nights. Their hotels are fabulous, large stately homes and even a castle, set in acres of grounds. I have stayed at Grange over Sands, and Cromford near Matlock. Will be trying the one near Chepstow this winter.

ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 8th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 7,972 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    It's not cheap but Chatsworth now opens for part of the winter. The house is decorated for Christmas and it's really lovely. The surrounding area (Bakewell, Buxton etc) is also nice for a visit. I think Haddon Hall (which isn't far from Chatsworth and is my favourite country house) is also open over December too.
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 10th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    lillie421
    As said above, Cornwall is a good option. I love it, I go around 3-4 times a year. There's so much to see and it is beautiful in winter. There are nice hotels and log cabins to stay in too and plenty of nice restaurants to go eat in. Definitely recommend.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 13,350 Thanks
    andrewf75
    I'm not sure why anywhere should be avoided in winter.
    You can have good and bad weather at any time of year in the UK!
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 10th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 7,023 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I enjoy going to Bath during the 3 week Christmas markets. It's insanely busy at the weekends but during the week it's lovely. The Roman baths and the architecture are stunning, as is shopping at dusk with all the Xmas lights and cathedral lit up
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • LisaJane1979
    • By LisaJane1979 10th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    LisaJane1979
    Forest of Dean, Glos for autumn walks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,096Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin