Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tomo2001
    • By tomo2001 2nd Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    tomo2001
    CCJ due to admin error by insurance
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    CCJ due to admin error by insurance 2nd Oct 17 at 11:38 AM
    Long story but here goes.........

Car accident driving 'Company Vehicle on Company Business' on a dual carriageway roundabout (RBT) in Jan this year. I was in the LH lane and van driver in the RH lane. Both of us entered RBT at same entrance and left the RBT at the same exit. However I am adamant that the van driver took the short line across the RBT and encroached into my lane at the exit. There was a collision at the exit where my O/S front wing was dented with minor scrapes to the van.
    We pulled over and exchanged details but the mistake I made as I later found was giving my home address rather than my company details. There were no independant witnesses or dash cam footage.
    For a period of time we both disputed liability until I received a call from our company car insurance saying that I should expect to receive a court form for the 3rd parties outstanding costs. I was told by my case handler that as soon as I receive this to not fill it in or respond to it but send it immediately to our insurance company. This I did back in July.

After this despite numerous mails/calls etc. between the 2 insurance companies the 3rd party (through their solicitor) would not respond meaning it was looking like a court case would be necessary. However at the beginning of September I came home to find a Judgement For Claimiant form on my doormat - of course I was absolutely furious about this.

To cut a long story short, speaking to our company insurance and their solicitor, the court form that I sent back was not processed due to an administrative error by our insurance company. So as a result of this I now have a CCJ. I have now instructed my company insurance solicitor to basically do everything to clear the CCJ and they have made payment for the outstanding monies within the time frame needed and have also requested a Certificate Of Cancellation from the court.

When I check online, my current credit score has plummeted from Excellent to Very Poor and in 30 years of working life I have never had any issue with credit and would consider my credit history as impeccable.

My question therefore is do I just sit here and accept this as an unfortunate administrative error that hopefully will now be resolved OR............ what can I expect to do, and what is the correct process to lodge a formal complaint with the mismanagement of my case by our insurance comapany. Would it be reasonable to demand an apology or even some form of compensation ??
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 2nd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 14,386 Posts
    • 15,174 Thanks
    zx81
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    Chase them for the removal of the CCJ.

If you have a quantifiable loss, you could ask for that to be taken into account. However, it doesn't sound as if that is the case.

But no harm in asking for a few pounds for the inconvenience.
  • National Debtline
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    Hi tomo2001

As long as the CCJ has been paid in full within one month of it being made, you can rest assured that it will be removed from your credit file. Credit files are updated monthly which means they can be a wait until you see the information updated.

I can understand why you may have found this all quite stressful, so if you are unhappy with the insurance company's actions you make a formal complaint to them. If you are unhappy with the response, get in touch with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) who will investigate your complaint.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • tomo2001
    • By tomo2001 11th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tomo2001
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    Lodged a formal complaint with the insurance company on how they have handled this case. I have just received a reply to say that they have acknowledged receipt of my complaint and will investigate fully and then feedback. I will keep you posted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

2,071Users online

Martin's Twitter