Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 2nd Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 1,126Posts
    • 493Thanks
    Be Happy
    5-yearly electricity test certificates
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    5-yearly electricity test certificates 2nd Oct 17 at 10:30 AM
    Putting house on market and had survey done for Home Report (Scotland), really puzzled by one of the survey comments.

Very good survey with only 3 minor items recommended for future repair or replacement. However, one of the items under 'Electricity', states:

"It is recommended that all electrical installations be checked every five years to keep up to date with frequent changes in safety regulations. There is no recent test certificate available."

We do have storage heaters, but this does not seem to apply to them as they feature in another category of Heating and Hot Water, where the report says "There are no obvious defects affecting the heating system."

I've never heard of this requirement for test certificates?
Page 2
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 4th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Be Happy
    Read another Home Information Report today which mentioned the same 5-yearly requirement, but rated the lack of certificate as a category 1 repair ie no problem whereas mine was rated category 2 ie should be given future consideration.

Only difference is that the other house is only 20 years old, so age of house must also be taken into consideration when rating the problem.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 4th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,909 Thanks
    Biggles
    The initial interval is set by the installation Designer and subsequent intervals are set by the previous Inspector. These are displayed on a warning notice at the origin of the installation.
    Originally posted by Risteard
    That sounds like terminology used for installations at commercial premises. I've never seen intervals stated on any domestic installations, even though on my most recent ones I have the official certificates. Nor have I ever had an 'Inspector' round.
    • noh
    • By noh 4th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 5,134 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    noh
    That sounds like terminology used for installations at commercial premises. I've never seen intervals stated on any domestic installations, even though on my most recent ones I have the official certificates. Nor have I ever had an 'Inspector' round.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Our last house, built in 2002, had an inspection label on the consumer unit with a 10 year interval to the next inspection.
    When selling I arranged an inspection at the request of the purchaser and the new label and certificate, issued in 2016 stated reinspection required in 5 years.
    Our present house, built in 2010, has an inspection label on the consumer unit stating reinspection required in 2020 ie a 10 year interval.
    Last edited by noh; 04-10-2017 at 3:51 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

848Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin