Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,210Posts
    • 153,068Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 8
    • clairep_2002
    • By clairep_2002 3rd Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clairep_2002
    Thomson Holiday
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help! We have a holiday booked for the 15th October - 22nd October to Cyprus. Thomson have told us they can't rebook any flights for those days. What are our rights?

Thanks
    Claire
    • Wassoon
    • By Wassoon 3rd Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wassoon
    I hope doing this right. Booked flight through PayPal sept 2016 to fly 8th sept 2017 On the third of sept 2017 had to change my flight to 21st April 2018 which cost a further £91 on credit card. Having knee operation so could not fly before then My insurance company not covering collapse of airline any advice please
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 36,210 Posts
    • 153,068 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help! We have a holiday booked for the 15th October - 22nd October to Cyprus. Thomson have told us they can't rebook any flights for those days. What are our rights?

Thanks
    Claire
    Originally posted by clairep_2002
    Thomson? booked as a package holiday? I would have thought they would be sorting it out. What have they offered you?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 3rd Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I hope doing this right. Booked flight through PayPal sept 2016 to fly 8th sept 2017 On the third of sept 2017 had to change my flight to 21st April 2018 which cost a further £91 on credit card. Having knee operation so could not fly before then My insurance company not covering collapse of airline any advice please
    Originally posted by Wassoon
    In theory as the flight has cost over £100 in total and you have put at least £1 on a credit card then you should be able to claim using section 75, but be prepared for them to put up a fight. Read Martin's S75 guide and use the standard letters on the web site as this one may take some explaining to them and it'll need to hit the desk of someone who understands S75.

If they refuse then you still have the option (within 180 days of the original transaction) to raise a dispute with Paypal and use chargeback to get the £91 from the credit card; or go to the ombudsmen if you think it isn't a fair decision.

Pick one of these options and pursue it, I'd start on S75 as you'll only be dealing with one company.
    Last edited by N4t4lie; 03-10-2017 at 8:26 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 3rd Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Hi,

Thanks
    Claire
    If they can't offer you the holiday or a suitable alternative you should get a full refund at least. I don't think in these circumstances you have any other consumer rights to the holiday I'm afraid.
    • neenaww
    • By neenaww 3rd Oct 17, 11:59 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    neenaww
    Booked holiday via travel agency. Flying (or not!) with Monarch. Due to leave this Friday. They've no alternative flights & have said they will try find alternative holiday, around the same price bracket, tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Our dates are not flexible. If there is nothing we are happy with can we say we will cancel and are we then entitled to a full refund? (It is ATOL protected)

Thanks

getting married to my best friend very soon!

I am a married woman
    • bunghole
    • By bunghole 4th Oct 17, 12:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bunghole
    Your link to paypal does not get you anywhere,you fill in all the forms then they ask you to contact Monarch? then tell you you have already raised a dispute. But when you go to their resolution area no dispute is raised. Phone them and an auomated call is no help at all. They appear to block every move you make.
    • The Bookman
    • By The Bookman 4th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    The Bookman
    The CAA website now states, in lovely bold lettering "If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund."

I don't have a problem with this, but does anyone know, definitively, and supported by evidence, with whom one should make a claim first - ATOL or the credit card provider? I have no intention of being bounced between the CAA and First Direct.
    If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 4th Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    The CAA website now states, in lovely bold lettering "If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund."

I don't have a problem with this, but does anyone know, definitively, and supported by evidence, with whom one should make a claim first - ATOL or the credit card provider? I have no intention of being bounced between the CAA and First Direct.
    Originally posted by The Bookman
    In previous examples of tour operators failing this has been the same advice. Those who booked on a credit card should reclaim via section 75. Your credit card company might be reluctant and fob you off to ATOL but just be firm and say you are following the ATOL/CAA advice.

Section 75 will be a far quicker way of getting your money back anyway. ATOL refunds will likely take many months.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 4th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Booked holiday via travel agency. Flying (or not!) with Monarch. Due to leave this Friday. They've no alternative flights & have said they will try find alternative holiday, around the same price bracket, tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Our dates are not flexible. If there is nothing we are happy with can we say we will cancel and are we then entitled to a full refund? (It is ATOL protected)

Thanks
    Originally posted by neenaww
    You are entitled to alternative flights or a full refund. If you donít like what the travel agent find you then ask for your refund. Iíd be looking myself at whatís available that way you can offer suggestions to your travel agent. And if they donít come up with anything ask for your refund and book the alternative yourself.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 4th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Hi,

Thanks
    Claire
    Because you booked a package with Thomson and they are still trading the itís up to them provide you alternative flights or a full refund. They may be genuine that they canít find alternative flights. Or it may be that there are some available but theyíre going to cost them a fortune.

Iíd look yourself at alternative flights and if there are some ask Thomson to book you on them. If that fails then look at alternative Thomson holidays on your date and if you find something suitable (at or near your original cost) ask Thomson to move your holiday. Failing that ask for your full refund.
    • mapes12
    • By mapes12 4th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mapes12
    We've asked about that and are waiting to hear back. Keep an eye on the Paypal section in our guide for updates
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    I can't find a Paypal section in the guide?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 4th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 36,210 Posts
    • 153,068 Thanks
    silvercar
    I can't find a Paypal section in the guide?
    Originally posted by mapes12
    The guide is here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights

Control + F to search for the word Paypal takes you to here:

"Booked via PayPal? File a protection claim. If your flight is not covered by ATOL protection, you can file a PayPal buyer protection claim using this link."

Actual link is here:

https://www.paypal.com/disputes/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • wallet375
    • By wallet375 4th Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wallet375
    Alpharooms Are No Help
    Hi, we booked with Alpha rooms, flights,hotel & transfer, unfortunately flights were with Monarch, we received a ATOL certificate from alpharooms although we booked in jan 2017.
    Been constantly ringing AR and being told they are are dealing with customers but in order of who travels first, checking on skyscanner and prices are increasing by the hour! when i did finally get through alpharooms they want to charge me an extra £1200 for the 4 tickets even though we have already paid £672 already. That will take the price of the tickets to more than the cost of the holiday!
    The ATOL certificate clearly states quote ". If the provider of one of the parts of your trip listed above stops trading, in most circumstances, Alpha Holidays Limited must provide you with an alternative (at no extra cost) or offer you a full refund of the total ATOL-protected cost
    how can they justify charging this?
    The hotel and transfers are still booked so it seems we either pay or lose the holiday
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 4th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    The hotel and transfers are still booked so it seems we either pay or lose the holiday
    Donít pay a penny extra. They are trying it on. Your rights are exactly as it said on the ATOL certificate. You are entitled to alternative flights at no cost or a full refund.

Alpha rooms may not want to meet those costs but thatís their responsibility as an ATOL bonded your operator.

It may come to the point they insist they wonít rebook your flights. At that point ask for your full refund. I would perhaps start communication with them by email so you have records in case they really start trying to dodge their responsibilities.
    • neenaww
    • By neenaww 4th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    neenaww
    You are entitled to alternative flights or a full refund. If you don’t like what the travel agent find you then ask for your refund. I’d be looking myself at what’s available that way you can offer suggestions to your travel agent. And if they don’t come up with anything ask for your refund and book the alternative yourself.
    Originally posted by bagand96
    Thank you!! Yesterday they suggested flights from London (we booked Birmingham) but wanted extra payment for the flight increase. Can they do this?!

After chatting with hubs I rang again to be told there are no flights at all now
    Last edited by neenaww; 04-10-2017 at 9:59 AM.

getting married to my best friend very soon!

I am a married woman
    • mapes12
    • By mapes12 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mapes12
    The guide is here:

link not permitted

Control + F to search for the word Paypal takes you to here:

"Booked via PayPal? File a protection claim. If your flight is not covered by ATOL protection, you can file a PayPal buyer protection claim using this link."
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Thanks for the link. I booked my flight and paid via Paypal over 180 days ago. It appears that Paypal wash their hands of any dispute claim where payment was over this time period even if the contractual service I bought from Monarch (my flight) cannot be executed at no fault of mine.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983

Originally posted by The Bookman
    I have a similar problem.

Paid the deposit on this on a Vanquis credit card in January.

I then paid the full balance, in installments, on a DIFFERENT credit card.

I have seen the same message as you but my worries are:

- I used two credit cards
    - I paid in installments (not all the amounts were £100 or above)
    - The first few payments are showing as "COSMOS HOLIDAYS" on my statements and not anything that says Monarch
    - Vanquis are refusing to help me out at the moment because they are saying use the ATOL protection!

Managed to get through to the CAA this morning (by pretending to be abroad) and they said I should still get a claim form but will they know who paid on credit cards and therefore wont be sending anything out to those customers? Am I actually allowed to fill an ATOL claim in despite me using 2 different credit cards to pay? If not, which credit card company do I claim with?

Its like banging your head against a brick wall.
    • Warren2653
    • By Warren2653 4th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Warren2653
    Monarch collapse
    Ref Monarch repatriation. Are there any plans to repatriate people stranded in the UK? As Monarch operated as a European airline they booked return journeys in both directions. What happens to Europeans stranded here after the collapse?
    • marsman802
    • By marsman802 4th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    marsman802
    Ref Monarch repatriation. Are there any plans to repatriate people stranded in the UK? As Monarch operated as a European airline they booked return journeys in both directions. What happens to Europeans stranded here after the collapse?
    Originally posted by Warren2653
    I'm afraid they are on their own as the CAA is only bringing people home to UK. I guess this is due to Monarch being registered in the UK and therefore under their jurisdiction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,501Posts Today

6,411Users online

Martin's Twitter