Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,039Posts
    • 151,556Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 7
    • LilNic
    • By LilNic 3rd Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LilNic
    31st would be OK. Anywhere in the UK Richard things are that desperate! Our local airports are Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff but would seriously consider others if it means we don't lose the holiday.
    • redref
    • By redref 3rd Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    redref
    Monarch
    I had to cancel a flight off my booking of 3 people that I had booked through TRAVEL REPUBLIC who are ATOL protected so no concerns there, but the flight i cancelled was cancelled on my ATOL certificate and I was given a credit note for a flight refund from Monarch against a future booking, Travel Republic have taken the full amount for all 3 flights can all 3 be refunded ot just the 2 on my ATOL certificate, and can I claim the money off my credit note anywhere ?
    • Suzanne Wallace
    • By Suzanne Wallace 3rd Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suzanne Wallace
    Atol certificate
    I booked a Monarch package (flights and accommodation) direct with Monarch and paid £2.50 each for Atol protection (detailed on my invoice). They did not send me the certificate, will this cause a problem when trying to claim a refund?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 18,194 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    richardw
    31st would be OK. Anywhere in the UK Richard things are that desperate! Our local airports are Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff but would seriously consider others if it means we don't lose the holiday.
    Originally posted by LilNic
    Where in Portugal do you want to fly from?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 18,194 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    richardw
    I booked a Monarch package (flights and accommodation) direct with Monarch and paid £2.50 each for Atol protection (detailed on my invoice). They did not send me the certificate, will this cause a problem when trying to claim a refund?
    Originally posted by Suzanne Wallace
    Was there a certificate reference number or similar on the invoice?
    • Suzanne Wallace
    • By Suzanne Wallace 3rd Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suzanne Wallace
    No, just a section that has been completed to say they charged £2.50 per person. I am worried this will affect me simply because they failed to attach the document.
    • LilNic
    • By LilNic 3rd Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LilNic
    Sorry need flight from Faro Richard
    • Davidnotmark
    • By Davidnotmark 3rd Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Davidnotmark
    I booked Monarch flights through lastminute.com in June. Last minute have emailed me and said I should write to airline administrators - KMPG and have given me their address, whilst the other advice I've read is to go through the bank and use charge back to reclaim the lost money? Which do you think is the best way to go about this?

Also - I made two payments - one from a UK bank and another from a bank abroad - do I go about asking them to use charge back in the same way I would for a UK bank?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 36,039 Posts
    • 151,556 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi I've booked Tenerife next year with Last minute and go with Easy Jet but did return with Monarch.

I've got Holiday insurance with Holiday Safe and have end supplier failure/Force Majeure upto 3k....would they pay out on both the flights or just the Monarch one?
    Originally posted by utigers
    Likely to be just the Monarch flight as your EasyJet flight is still operating.

When looking for a replacement flight it is always worth searching for return flights as they can sometimes work out cheaper than a single. If you do this remember that you need to take the outbound for the inbound to be valid.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 18,194 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    richardw
    Sorry need flight from Faro Richard
    Originally posted by LilNic

Ryanair have

Ryanair FR7035
    2h 55
    16:05 FAO Faro
    19:00 DUB Dublin

2h 25 Connect in airport

Ryanair FR668
    1h 05
    21:25 DUB Dublin
    22:30 BHX Birmingham

Tue 31st Oct from £141 excl add ons.

This is a self transfer at Dublin

What's a self-transfer?
    On this flight, you may need to check in separately for each connecting flight. Make sure you have enough time.
    You may need to collect hold bags and check them in again for the next flight.
    You must pass through security and passport control during each connection and you will need a visa if your connection is in a country that requires one.

This is not through ticketing and if the flight from Faro to Dublin is delayed or cancelled, you'd miss the flight from Dublin to BHX. It's Ryanair so there are risks.

Also look at air Portugal FAO-LIS-LHR on the 31st Oct.
    Last edited by richardw; 03-10-2017 at 4:20 PM.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 36,039 Posts
    • 151,556 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hello! We booked Monarch outbound and return flights and only discovered on the way to the airport that they had been cancelled. We made the very quick decision to buy alternative flights so that we wouldn't lose the rest of our holiday costs. Can anyone help with the following questions?

Are the CAA providing free replacement flights for customers who had monarch outbound and flights - but flew out on an alternative after the news on 2nd October?

And if so, can we do anything to get money back on the insanely expensive replacement Easy jet return flight that we bought in a panic?! We are past the 24 hour cancellation window - do they provide credit vouchers?

Thank you for your help.
    Originally posted by Frogandtoad
    CAA are only providing flights to rescue people and bring them home, they are not replacing outgoing holiday flights.

Depending on your ATOL protection/ how you paid/ insurance cover you may well get the cost of the original Monarch flights back.

The "insanely expensive" replacement flights won't be refunded.
    • Kebab69
    • By Kebab69 3rd Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kebab69
    Paid with monarch voucher and money
    Hi can anyone help? We paid for flights with a monarch claim voucher and put around £50 towards on debit card card. Can we claim the whole amount ??
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 3rd Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    catwoman73
    Depending on your ATOL protection/ how you paid/ insurance cover you may well get the cost of the original Monarch flights back.

The "insanely expensive" replacement flights won't be refunded.

I suspected that was the case, but I don't think that's very fair really. I've had to pay £500 to replace £300 Monarch flights, so the way I see it, my loss is £500 not £300, so this is what the insurance should pay out to put me back in the same position I was before Monarch went bust.

I was lucky to get flights at short notice that were anywhere near reasonable - this was only because I rebooked very early yesterday morning when I realised that thousands of people would be chasing very few available flights (we are flying later this week). Later on yesterday, and now the same flights are £1k+ if they exist at all.
    • johnnyett
    • By johnnyett 3rd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    johnnyett
    Monarch
    Please may I ask, why was the Monarch announcement made at 4 AM
    • Kebab69
    • By Kebab69 3rd Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kebab69
    4am announcement
    The administrators said they had to take over when there weren't any monarch flights in the air as they ( administrators) don't have a flight operators licence and if planes where flying as they took control it wouldn't be legal insured etc.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 32,475 Posts
    • 27,231 Thanks
    custardy
    Small consolation but apparently Royal Mail will extend any keepsafes at no cost,for those stuck abroad
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 3rd Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    My honeymoon flights were booked with Monarch via Paypal. Paypal have got a statement up on their website now. General consensus on the paypal forums is most people will get refunds, but it could take some time (so if you need that money to book replacement flights, don't hold your breath).

Having said that, a lot of people (myself included) are reporting that when they try to raise a dispute Paypal tells them they already have one, but nothing appears in the dispute centre. I don't know if Paypal ha raised a mass dispute that's causing problems, or if the system's overloaded, or what, but it's frustrating because you've got no way of knowing if you're raised your dispute or not.
    Originally posted by nkkingston
    This all sounds very familiar. What happened with Paypal when Low Cost went under was a few weeks of them getting lists from the administrator so all claims went on hold. Once they can confirm the transaction they will refund (if you are within the 180 day cut off to claim) and then it happened very quickly, all money was refunded within a month in that case.

If you are outside the 180 day cut off, but paid with a credit or debit card linked to your Paypal account you can use chargeback as a last resort to reclaim your money.

If your disputed transaction claim is in then be a bit patient whilst they get all their ducks in a row. For instance they may be receiving claims that are covered by ATOL and not just for flight only bookings, they have no way of telling if they are liable for the refund, all this will need checking against original bookings. It may have gone a bit quite, but it'll be because they don't want to release incorrect information to people. Bear with them they will get there.

Hope that helps.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 3rd Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I booked Monarch flights through lastminute.com in June. Last minute have emailed me and said I should write to airline administrators - KMPG and have given me their address, whilst the other advice I've read is to go through the bank and use charge back to reclaim the lost money? Which do you think is the best way to go about this?

Also - I made two payments - one from a UK bank and another from a bank abroad - do I go about asking them to use charge back in the same way I would for a UK bank?
    Originally posted by Davidnotmark
    Chargeback only works on debit and credit card bookings I'm afraid.

If you paid directly from a bank account there are no insurances available.

They have advised you to write to KPMG to become an unsecured creditor meaning that if any money is left after the company has been fully wound up then you may get some money back depending on what is left and how many other unsecured creditors are registered. There is no guarantee anything will be left in the pot though. Sorry I can't give you any better news in this case, but it is probably worth you doing so just in case.
    • monkeybusiness
    • By monkeybusiness 3rd Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    monkeybusiness
    I paid in a couple of cheques on Monday from Monarch which were compensation from EU flight delays - will they clear or bounce ? Also waiting on one which went missing in the post which was for over £700 for two persons - what chances have I now of ever getting this does anyone know ?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 3rd Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 2,750 Thanks
    sheramber
    I paid in a couple of cheques on Monday from Monarch which were compensation from EU flight delays - will they clear or bounce ? Also waiting on one which went missing in the post which was for over £700 for two persons - what chances have I now of ever getting this does anyone know ?
    Originally posted by monkeybusiness
    I expect the bank accounts would be frozen immediately so if the cheques hadn't cleared they will not be paid.

As above you will need to put in a claim to KPMG but any payout will depend on if there is any money available .
    Secured debtors will have first claim of any finds before unsecured creditors.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,815Posts Today

7,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin