Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,090Posts
    • 151,768Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 6
    • Warnesy4
    • By Warnesy4 3rd Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Warnesy4
    No, I have book through an ATOL credited internet based travel agents.

I have had previous replies saying if I'm due to fly back on the 15th a re arranged flight will be sorted. Can you direct me to where your contradicting information has come from please.

Cheers
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,868 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I feel sorry for all those parents who booked Santa trips to Lapland , Monarch were the only direct flyers to Kittila during the winter and did many of the packages , it's a long flight if not direct assuming you can find flights

Hopefully someone may take up the option to fly to Kittila
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    If anyone's in this situation please read our guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,868 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I booked and paid for accommdation and (Monarch) flights for next April through Alpharooms, now that Monarch flights are all cancelled, are Alpharooms liable to provide replacement flights ? as we paid Alpharooms not Monarch. Sent couple of emails to Alpharooms but no response.
    Original flight was due at Alicante at 19.30 plus tranfer times so we would arrive at accommoation well after 8pm, contacted Alpharooms for information about keys for apartment as office closes at 6pm but no response, over a week now and no further reponse from Alpharooms.
    Originally posted by r.dorward
    Hi, our guide should help you with this:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 10:16 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,868 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Please can anyone advise me.
    On Thursday I received a code from Monarch EU claims for £1685 in compensation for a 6 hour flight delay in August. I chose the credit vouchers as it meant I got 20% more and as we fly Monarch it made sense.
    All I have is the email confirmation of my compensation with the voucher code for £1685. I only got it on Thursday and I'm devastated as you can imagine. I'm a single mum with 3 disabled girls , this was going to pay for flights for other breaks for us.
    As Monarch were paying under the EU Claims for flight delay rules and the credit vouchers cannot be used do I have any rights to claim at all?
    Please please help
    Thanks so much
    Originally posted by JoJoClow
    Hi JoJoClow

We have a section on this in our guide FAQs that may help:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights#flightdelays

Join the MSE Forum
    • Wayne h
    • By Wayne h 3rd Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wayne h
    I booked with PayPal any chance I could claim for direct flights booked with monarch
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,868 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I booked with PayPal any chance I could claim for direct flights booked with monarch
    Originally posted by Wayne h
    Hi Wayne h

We've asked about that and are waiting to hear back. Keep an eye on the Paypal section in our guide for updates:

Join the MSE Forum
    • nkkingston
    • By nkkingston 3rd Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    nkkingston
    My honeymoon flights were booked with Monarch via Paypal. Paypal have got a statement up on their website now. General consensus on the paypal forums is most people will get refunds, but it could take some time (so if you need that money to book replacement flights, don't hold your breath).

Having said that, a lot of people (myself included) are reporting that when they try to raise a dispute Paypal tells them they already have one, but nothing appears in the dispute centre. I don't know if Paypal ha raised a mass dispute that's causing problems, or if the system's overloaded, or what, but it's frustrating because you've got no way of knowing if you're raised your dispute or not.
    Last edited by nkkingston; 03-10-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    October 2017: £80,520.19
    • Andrew P
    • By Andrew P 3rd Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andrew P
    On The Beach
    I have a flight booked with On The Beach flying with Monarch on Saturday 7th 2017. I have now had confirmation that this is not taking place due to Monarch cancelling all flights. On The Beach are now saying that they are not going to refund my cost as it is a flight only booking.
    The reason I booked with On The Beach is because on their Web Site they offer FULL FINANCIAL PROTECTION. Please can you have a look at a copy of their advert that I have included in this e-mail. When I spoke to On The Beach yesterday after 2 hours of being on hold the lady verbally confirmed I was entitled to a full refund but they have since back tracked on this.

Complete financial protection with ATOL and On the Beach

As an online travel agent, we don't sell package holidays, we let you build your own by giving you access to a wide range of cheap flights, hotels and transfer suppliers, saving you money. And it's great to know when you book your holiday, accommodation or flights through On the Beach, every part is financially protected through either our ATOL protection scheme or ABTA protected Trust.

We were one of the first online travel agents in the UK to have complete financial protection because we know how important peace of mind is to our customers when they book their holiday. That means, in the unlikely event that one of your suppliers or On the Beach experiences financial failure, your money is safe. Whether you're counting down to departure, or already on holiday, you'll have complete peace of mind that you're guaranteed financial protection.
    • toadsy
    • By toadsy 3rd Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    toadsy
    I have future flight only booking with Monarch in July 2018 which is not ATOL protected.

I paid with my Amex credit card so I contacted them yesterday. They said they don’t use section 75 unless it’s a last resort as it can take a very long time. They said they dispute the payment and freeze the transaction. They then put a temporary re-credit on your account before the dispute is verified and the credit is made permanent in 6-8 weeks time.

Is this reasonable or am I being fobbed off? Is anyone else having the same or different communications with Amex. I think I read on a forum thread that Santander also dispute the payment too.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 36,090 Posts
    • 151,768 Thanks
    silvercar
    If you are flying out with Ryanair and coming back with Monarch, it sounds like you have booked it all yourself direct with the airlines, in which case, it is up to you to look for an alternative flight home.

The only people who are being brought back to the UK on flights arranged for them are people who were already away yesterday morning and were on a package holiday. Everyone else has to make their own arrangements and seek refunds from their payment provider and/or travel insurance if covered.

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/
    Originally posted by catwoman73
    This isn't true. If you flew out with one airline and due to fly back with Monarch by 15 October, the CAA will bring you home.

See this article from the MSE main site.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 12,915 Posts
    • 17,108 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I have a flight booked with On The Beach flying with Monarch on Saturday 7th 2017. I have now had confirmation that this is not taking place due to Monarch cancelling all flights. On The Beach are now saying that they are not going to refund my cost as it is a flight only booking.
    The reason I booked with On The Beach is because on their Web Site they offer FULL FINANCIAL PROTECTION. Please can you have a look at a copy of their advert that I have included in this e-mail. When I spoke to On The Beach yesterday after 2 hours of being on hold the lady verbally confirmed I was entitled to a full refund but they have since back tracked on this.

Complete financial protection with ATOL and On the Beach

As an online travel agent, we don't sell package holidays, we let you build your own by giving you access to a wide range of cheap flights, hotels and transfer suppliers, saving you money. And it's great to know when you book your holiday, accommodation or flights through On the Beach, every part is financially protected through either our ATOL protection scheme or ABTA protected Trust.

We were one of the first online travel agents in the UK to have complete financial protection because we know how important peace of mind is to our customers when they book their holiday. That means, in the unlikely event that one of your suppliers or On the Beach experiences financial failure, your money is safe. Whether you're counting down to departure, or already on holiday, you'll have complete peace of mind that you're guaranteed financial protection.
    Originally posted by Andrew P
    Under that it says "Read more about your protection"

Flight-only bookings

With a flight-only booking, our responsibility is to pass the money paid for flights to the airline. This means should your airline fail, you will not be entitled to a refund.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Danz33
    • By Danz33 3rd Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Danz33
    I booked with last minute.com. my outbound flight is ok but my return flight was with monarch. I paid using my credit card but Santander have adv me to raise a section 75 with last minute which should include all additional cost incurred through re booking. Is this correct ?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,868 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I booked with last minute.com. my outbound flight is ok but my return flight was with monarch. I paid using my credit card but Santander have adv me to raise a section 75 with last minute which should include all additional cost incurred through re booking. Is this correct ?
    Originally posted by Danz33
    Hi! Our guide should help you:

Join the MSE Forum
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 36,090 Posts
    • 151,768 Thanks
    silvercar
    Originally posted by Danz33
    If your return flight is on or before 15 October the CAA should arrange your flight home.
    • utigers
    • By utigers 3rd Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    utigers
    Hi I've booked Tenerife next year with Last minute and go with Easy Jet but did return with Monarch.

I've got Holiday insurance with Holiday Safe and have end supplier failure/Force Majeure upto 3k....would they pay out on both the flights or just the Monarch one?
    • LilNic
    • By LilNic 3rd Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LilNic
    Help!
    Looking for advice. I have a flight with Easyjet flying to Portugal on 22nd Oct. Due to fly back with Monarch on 30th Oct- which is AFTER the date that the CAA are offering to fly everyone home free of charge.

I paid for the tickets on credit card and have initiated a section 75 with my credit card company so should get money back however finding return tickets is proving IMPOSSIBLE due to little availability and the fact that all airlines appear to be cashing in on the situation by tripling prices.

Is there anything else I can do to keep my holiday. I really don't want to lose yet more money by not going but also can't afford to pay 3x the amount I initially paid for the tickets.

Thanks
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,868 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi I've booked Tenerife next year with Last minute and go with Easy Jet but did return with Monarch.

I've got Holiday insurance with Holiday Safe and have end supplier failure/Force Majeure upto 3k....would they pay out on both the flights or just the Monarch one?
    Originally posted by utigers
    Hi utigers

Our guide should help: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights

Join the MSE Forum
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 18,209 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    richardw
    LilNic, Where from Portugal and where to in the Uk?

Is arriving back on the 31st Oct too late?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,868 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Looking for advice. I have a flight with Easyjet flying to Portugal on 22nd Oct. Due to fly back with Monarch on 30th Oct- which is AFTER the date that the CAA are offering to fly everyone home free of charge.

I paid for the tickets on credit card and have initiated a section 75 with my credit card company so should get money back however finding return tickets is proving IMPOSSIBLE due to little availability and the fact that all airlines appear to be cashing in on the situation by tripling prices.

Is there anything else I can do to keep my holiday. I really don't want to lose yet more money by not going but also can't afford to pay 3x the amount I initially paid for the tickets.

Thanks
    Originally posted by LilNic
    Hi Lilnic

If you ask your question as a new one on the Overseas Travel Planning board our lovely forumites should be able to help you look

Join the MSE Forum
    • **woody123**
    • By **woody123** 3rd Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    **woody123**
    A work colleague of mine who had a package holiday booked with Monarch for the 13th October has been told by ATOL that she can't continue with a claim until 14th October.

Is this what everyone else is experiencing?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

677Posts Today

6,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin