Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,190Posts
    • 152,925Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 4
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Please can anyone advise me.
    On Thursday I received a code from Monarch EU claims for £1685 in compensation for a 6 hour flight delay in August. I chose the credit vouchers as it meant I got 20% more and as we fly Monarch it made sense.
    All I have is the email confirmation of my compensation with the voucher code for £1685. I only got it on Thursday and I'm devastated as you can imagine. I'm a single mum with 3 disabled girls , this was going to pay for flights for other breaks for us.
    As Monarch were paying under the EU Claims for flight delay rules and the credit vouchers cannot be used do I have any rights to claim at all?
    Please please help
    Thanks so much
    Originally posted by JoJoClow
    You can try to register as an unsecured creditor with the administrators KPMG. Chances of a refund are low, but when they have finished with the administration process and fully wound up the company any cash left is split as an amount per pound owed. You may not get the whole lot back, but you may get something. GOV(dot)UK web site has an overview of the process.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 6:24 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    We were due to fly out with Monarch this afternoon on a package deal booked through teletext holidays, after hearing the news this morning I've managed to book alternative flights (at a higher cost of course), we booked on 9th January 2017 and have an ATOL certificate so I'm assuming that this means we're covered even though we booked after 15th December 2016......? Will we be reimbursed for the extra costs as well...? Any info appreciated.
    Originally posted by CROSSY_GY
    As this is a package via an intermediary you'll need to go back to Teletext Holidays who will claim any refund from ATOL for you.
    • MoneySavingMole
    • By MoneySavingMole 2nd Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    MoneySavingMole
    I did the same with my Post Office Credit Card - the value of the flights was £166, done as one transaction - this puts my scenario in the 'over £100 on your credit card/section 75' category.

So, POCC said I have to write to Disputes with details and to mention 'Monarch have ceased trading as of 2nd October 2017 and therefore are unable to provide goods/services I have paid for'.

I, like many others, appear to have kneejerked today and booked flights with another provider (Ryanair in my case) because I read that Monarch will not be flying at all.

I was due to fly out to Lisbon on Thursday morning with Monarch and return on Sunday afternoon with Ryanair. I initially saw the flights for £70 and they escalated to £230 upon booking - I suppose that's basic business/supply and demand - but I did think it was disgusting.

I'm being realistic and only expecting the £166 I initially paid out, as I can only imagine they'll tell me I had a choice to book the £230 flight or not - even though I've got a hotel and return flight booked!

I'm amazed Ryanair haven't utilised this as an opportunity to clear their own downed flights - there's literally an entire workforce and equipment who could continue to clear them well in to the new year!

I hope the Monarch staff are able to secure something with Christmas a matter of weeks away.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Started out with £80,995 over 25 years - Currently £69,000+/- over 19 years!

Best MoneySaving Moments of 2017?
    - Received £673 for a delayed RyanAir flight by using Bott&Co
    - Saved £241 on Tyres using blackcircles.com
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 2nd Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    tberry6686
    I'm amazed Ryanair haven't utilised this as an opportunity to clear their own downed flights - there's literally an entire workforce and equipment who could continue to clear them well in to the new year!
    Originally posted by MoneySavingMole
    Give them a bit of time. Monarch failed less than 24hrs ago.
    • tonythetank
    • By tonythetank 2nd Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonythetank
    Monarch Flights
    hi we booked flights with Monarch, we are ATOL protected but have just booked flights with another airline to replace the Monarch ones that was at a premium can i claim the extra cost back.
    • calvey88
    • By calvey88 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    calvey88
    Hi. I flew with Monarch last week, which was delayed 9 hours. Am i still entitled to compensation?
    thanks
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I did the same with my Post Office Credit Card - the value of the flights was £166, done as one transaction - this puts my scenario in the 'over £100 on your credit card/section 75' category.
    Originally posted by MoneySavingMole
    Be careful as if each person's flight was under £100 they may argue that S75 doesn't cover this; however, if they do say S75 doesn't cover it you can still use chargeback to get your original flight money back.

If S75 does apply you may find they can cover the extra cost though and it's definitely worth a try claiming. When Low Cost went bust people were asked to pay for their hotels again and in a lot of cases this was more than the original price paid. S75 covered the difference, I don't see how this would be different even though it is your flight that has been cancelled.

Read up all you can on S75 and chargeback on Martin's pages and keep at them. Also be patient, it is not a quick process but you should get some money back.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 36,190 Posts
    • 152,925 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi. I flew with Monarch last week, which was delayed 9 hours. Am i still entitled to compensation?
    thanks
    Originally posted by calvey88
    Yes you are entitled to compensation.

Unfortunately it would be Monarch that you would claim from and they are insolvent, so the chances of you getting any money is remote. In theory, you could make a claim, that claim wouldn't get a response; you could then spend ££ taking Monarch to court and getting a verdict that they owe you compensation. You would then put in your claim with whoever is handling their insolvency and be awarded pennies in your pound. Really not worth the effort.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    thanks
    Originally posted by calvey88
    Other people on here have said the airline pays the compensation so sadly it looks unlikely that you can claim I'm afraid. If you do find out anything different let us know though.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 2nd Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Other people on here have said the airline pays the compensation so sadly it looks unlikely that you can claim I'm afraid. If you do find out anything different let us know though.
    Originally posted by N4t4lie
    There is no other information to find out. The advice you have got on here is absolutely correct. When claiming flight delay compensation, you are claiming from the airline that operated your flight. And if that airline was Monarch, then that airline doesn't exist anymore, nobody to claim from*

*well, you could technically lodge a claim with the administrators if you got a court to rule in your favour but as another poster says, won't be worth it.
    • Jones578
    • By Jones578 2nd Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Jones578
    I have booked my ticket via Expedia that is due to fly out on next Monday (9/10) and return on Friday (13/10) with a car rental. I have received ATOL cert that states both items on it.
    I want an alternatively flight that flies at similar time. I checked Skyscanner and found there is a BA flight that does it but for a significant more cost.
    I called Expedia and they say they will not arrange alternative flight for me. They said the only option for me is to call my card issuer and claim for charge back.
    Is it true?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I have booked my ticket via Expedia that is due to fly out on next Monday (9/10) and return on Friday (13/10) with a car rental. I have received ATOL cert that states both items on it.
    I want an alternatively flight that flies at similar time. I checked Skyscanner and found there is a BA flight that does it but for a significant more cost.
    I called Expedia and they say they will not arrange alternative flight for me. They said the only option for me is to call my card issuer and claim for charge back.
    Is it true?
    Originally posted by Jones578
    Is Expedia listed on the ATOL certificate? If so, they should get the refund for you, chargeback is your last option to get your money back. If the certificate was issued by Monarch not Expedia, but I am not sure why this would be the case, then you have to apply to the CAA for the refund. Don't take no for an answer keep at them, it's their job.

As for paying for the more expensive flight it is unlikely they will be covered for that scenario by ATOL, but if anyone knows any different let me know.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 2nd Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Is it true?
    Originally posted by Jones578
    The CAA say you should get in touch with whoever your ATOL provider is (will say on the certificate, and more than likely Expedia). I think they should be doing more for you than what they've told you - you could ring the CAA and ask them 0300 303 2800
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 2nd Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    For anyone who might want to arrange alternative flights in the coming weeks Jet2 have announced increased schedules from Monarch bases http://www.jet2.com/extra-seats/
    • lynseyellis
    • By lynseyellis 2nd Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lynseyellis
    Payment with Tesco boost vouchers
    Hi I paid for about half my package holiday with Monarch using Tesco boost vouchers. Does anyone know if the value will be refunded at all? Thanks Lynsey
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Hi I paid for about half my package holiday with Monarch using Tesco boost vouchers. Does anyone know if the value will be refunded at all? Thanks Lynsey
    Originally posted by lynseyellis
    Interesting, I would assume that ATOL covers the cost of the package and has no idea by what medium it was paid for. Although I don't know for certain I would assume that trying to refund Tesco points is not high on the CAA's list and the easier way would be to just pay out the cash.

Looks like the CAA claim form is not out yet, it may ask you how you paid for the holiday, but until anyone sees that I don't think anyone can answer that question 100%.

**UPDATE, people on Facebook reporting Tesco are recrediting points**
    Last edited by N4t4lie; 02-10-2017 at 9:28 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    • Warnesy4
    • By Warnesy4 2nd Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Warnesy4
    Is this information accurate?

I'm due to fly out on Sunday with Ryanair and fly back on the 15th with monarch. Are you sure this is the right info as I'm not sure if I should fly out.?

Cheers
    • soolin
    • By soolin 2nd Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 59,570 Posts
    • 42,273 Thanks
    soolin
    Is this information accurate?

I'm due to fly out on Sunday with Ryanair and fly back on the 15th with monarch. Are you sure this is the right info as I'm not sure if I should fly out.?

Cheers
    Originally posted by Warnesy4
    I'm not sure I follow your question, can you clarify please? You obviously won't be travelling back with Monarch though.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Warnesy4
    • By Warnesy4 2nd Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Warnesy4
    Sorry, my question referred to you saying, flights will not be re arranged if I'm still in the UK at the moment.

I would like to know if I leave the UK on Sunday will a flight be re arranged for me with a different airline to come back on the Friday?
    • Warnesy4
    • By Warnesy4 2nd Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Warnesy4
    Sorry, my question referred to you saying, flights will not be re arranged if I'm still in the UK at the moment.

I would like to know if I leave the UK on Sunday will a flight be re arranged for me with a different airline to come back on the Friday?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,655Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter