Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,674Posts
    • 154,768Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 31
    • woz28
    • By woz28 3rd Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    woz28
    I wonder if anyone will be able to help. I booked Monarch flight only tickets in Feb 2017 by credit card. Flights were for July I didn't take out travel insurance (yes I know I should've) and had to cancel due to finding out I had cancer. Monarch issued me with a credit voucher for 12 months from July 2017. Would I still be covered by the credit card Section 75?
    Originally posted by woz28
    Quick update, I made a claim and received full credit from my credit card company last week.
    • Bananas25
    • By Bananas25 3rd Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bananas25
    Can anyone help us, we booked flights for 2018 with Monarch on our aqua credit card, they have been immensely difficult in getting a refund, we only had the email Monarch sent to us as proof of payment and our credit card statement, but they asked for proof Monarch went bust and then proof of flights all of which they have had, each time if we did not send the letter they sent requesting information( which apparently was the declaration) then shut the case, they are now still saying they won’t refund!! Help!!!
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Dec 17, 8:48 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Can anyone help us, we booked flights for 2018 with Monarch on our aqua credit card, they have been immensely difficult in getting a refund, we only had the email Monarch sent to us as proof of payment and our credit card statement, but they asked for proof Monarch went bust and then proof of flights all of which they have had, each time if we did not send the letter they sent requesting information( which apparently was the declaration) then shut the case, they are now still saying they won’t refund!! Help!!!
    Originally posted by Bananas25
    Your next step is to go to the Financial Ombudsman.
    • tinygirl80
    • By tinygirl80 9th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tinygirl80
    Only paid deposit for Monarch holiday on credit card
    Hi,

I paid for a package holiday on the Monarch Holidays website and I paid the £242 deposit on my Vanquis Visa Credit Card. I paid the remaining balance of around £2,000 on my debit card. I submitted a claim to Vanquis under S.75 but they have only refunded my £242 deposit and not the full cost of the holiday. Don't they have to refund the full cost of the holiday under S.75?
    Do they have to refund the extra I had to pay for new flights, transfers etc as rebooking everything cost £200 more than the original holiday? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    • Betty_1973
    • By Betty_1973 15th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Betty_1973
    I booked a holiday in Jan 17 and only paid my deposit. I made changes to the property a week after booking and charges were added as value was less. I claimed and was told I was not entitled to £140 as these were admin charges when in fact I paid £236 as the deposit only. They refunded me £96 and now i am out of pocket £146. I tried to claim through my bank and dud successfully but today received a letter from Nationwide telling me they are redebiting my account on the 31st as I have to claim via the Atol protection as it was a package holiday. I am gobsmacked! I really do not know where to turn and certainly cannot afford to be out of pocket. Can anyone help?
    • Betty_1973
    • By Betty_1973 15th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Betty_1973
    £140 Not £146
    • lisasut30
    • By lisasut30 25th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lisasut30
    We booked a flight with Monarch costing of £117.56, however as this flight was cancelled due to going into administration we had to book a replacement flight with easyjet at a cost of £340.53 which meant we were out of pocket for a further £222.97.

We have contacted Barclays Bank to re-claim the £117.56 can we be re-imbursed for the additional expense which has been incurred due to no fault of our own.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 25th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    bagand96
    We booked a flight with Monarch costing of £117.56, however as this flight was cancelled due to going into administration we had to book a replacement flight with easyjet at a cost of £340.53 which meant we were out of pocket for a further £222.97.

We have contacted Barclays Bank to re-claim the £117.56 can we be re-imbursed for the additional expense which has been incurred due to no fault of our own.
    Originally posted by lisasut30
    Was it a Barclays credit card or debit card? If it was debit then no chance. If it was credit you could attempt a Section 75 claim.

I'm sure there are cases where people have used Section 75 rules to claim that the card provider is jointly liable for the services Monarch should've provided and have successfully reclaimed consequential losses. However I'm not 100% on this and haven't seen any definitive answer on it. It may have been people already abroad that had to book new flights home (which on the whole wasn't necessary with the Monarch collapse as the CAA got nearly everyone back free of charge)

Do you have travel insurance? If you do and it covers Airline failure/Supplier failure then they may pay out consequential losses.
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 6th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    catwoman73
    I paid for Monarch flights on a credit card and got the cost of the Monarch flights refunded as a chargeback and they then refunded the extra £200 that the replacement flights cost as a S75 refund.

As it happens I also had travel insurance with scheduled airline failure cover, but that wouldn't pay out because Monarch went bust before we made our outward journey and the cover was only for the flight home if they went bust while we were away.

And they would only pay out if you weren't covered by a credit card, so pretty useless really and would only pay out in a small percentage of circumstances.
    • Daveparse
    • By Daveparse 14th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daveparse
    Bank and agent refusing to refund on Monarch fligh
    I booked 9 flights via an ATOL protected on line agent in August last year. The reason for using an agent was the monarch site wouldn't let me book more than 8. After the telephone conversation with the agent I checked my bank statement and £178 had been paid direct to Monarch. The other £1400 had be paid to the agent £1301 being for the flights the rest commission. After complaining the bank have paid back the £178 as this was paid to Monarch but they won't pay the larger amount as they see this as an administrative error by the agent. The agent won't pay it back as they say they paid it to Monarch.
    I paid by debit card .
    I've contacted ATOL and CAA but not had a reply as yet
    • tonythetank
    • By tonythetank 14th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonythetank
    Can i claim
    Hi i have been paid back my FLIGHT ONLY COST but wondered if could claim for the extra cost of booking flights with another airline because of Monarch going bust,
    Thanks
    Tony
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

2,580Users online

Martin's Twitter