Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,196Posts
    • 152,966Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 30
    • Tonyb123
    • By Tonyb123 19th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tonyb123
    Monarch failure
    I had an ATOL protected flight only with Monarch. Although requested The CAA did not repatriate me on my scheduled date. Because return flights to the UK were sold out I had to take a flight 2 weeks after my rescheduled return date. Can I claim the cost of the return flight and reasonable living expenses for the two week period. I did not have accommodation costs
    • Tonyb123
    • By Tonyb123 19th Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tonyb123
    I had an ATOL protected flight only with Monarch. Although requested The CAA did not repatriate me on my scheduled date which was 24 October. Because return flights to the UK were sold out I had to take a flight 2 weeks after my rescheduled return date. Can I claim the cost of the return flight and reasonable living expenses for the two week period. I did not have accommodation costs
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 19th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    What do you mean, although requested? The CAA repatriated everyone either on their booked travel date or as close to as possible.
    • Tonyb123
    • By Tonyb123 19th Nov 17, 11:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tonyb123
    Monarch
    Received a CM Escalation e-mail from the CAA on 15 October,2017 asking whether I wanted to be repatriated on 24 October. Spoke to CAA gave my contact details (e-mail and mobile number) and they said I `would be notified of my flight details 24 to 48 hours before the scheduled flight. I received nothing from the CAA . On 25 October I received a Claim form.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 20th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Received a CM Escalation e-mail from the CAA on 15 October,2017 asking whether I wanted to be repatriated on 24 October. Spoke to CAA gave my contact details (e-mail and mobile number) and they said I `would be notified of my flight details 24 to 48 hours before the scheduled flight. I received nothing from the CAA . On 25 October I received a Claim form.
    Originally posted by Tonyb123
    The CAA put all the new flight details on their website as soon as they had them. It was usually about 24 hrs or more prior to departure.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 20th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 1,495 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    The charter flights only operated up to October 15, after that everyone was booked on individual flights. I find it difficult to believe that no flights were available for 2 weeks, irrespective of half term. Where were you flying back from? Did you contact the CAA at all during those 2 weeks? If not then I doubt you can expect them to pay living expenses for that length of time.
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 23rd Nov 17, 11:37 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    catwoman73
    I've just received my refund as a chargeback from Tesco CC, 4 weeks after I put my claim in.

No explanation as to why they've not repaid my consequential losses so will try for the other £200 which was the extra cost of the replacement flights with my travel insurer as I did have scheduled airline failure cover, so hopefully will cover the rest that way even though the small print is confusing as to whether I'm covered or not in relation to when the failure happens compared to the date of travel.
    Originally posted by catwoman73
    UPDATE. Two weeks after refunding my Monarch booking with no explanation of why they didn't pay my consequential losses, they have now asked for evidence of my consequential losses, ie a copy of booking for the more expensive replacement flights. So this is now looking hopeful.
    • Derek Lawrence
    • By Derek Lawrence 24th Nov 17, 8:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derek Lawrence
    Lost Money
    Hi All .... We booked a holiday package through Monarch & paid them direct with Post Office Credit Card. When Monarch went under we were told we had to claim through Credit Card company. Credit Card company rejected our claim & told us we had to go through Monarchs ATOL claims system. They replied rejecting our claim. We are now unsure what to do as neither are accepting responsibility. The value is more than £1000
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 24th Nov 17, 8:15 AM
    • 11,414 Posts
    • 7,683 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Have a read through here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5720878
    • AndyE000
    • By AndyE000 26th Nov 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AndyE000
    Section 75 claim but...
    We have a John Lewis credit card with which we bought our flights for next Summer direct through the Monarch website. Following advice here we put in an "Anticipatory Breach" claim under Section 75 in writing to John Lewis. After some delay, the money has been refunded to our Credit Card account and we have had the credit balance transferred to our bank account.

However, the letter outlining the refund says the following:

"We're investigating the matter for you with the retailer's bank and have arranged to refund this amount to your Partnership card while this happens....
    .... If our claim is unsuccessful we will let you know either by phoning or writing to you. In that event, the transaction may be re-debited from your account" (emphasis mine)

We're not sure what that means? Are they saying they're making a chargeback claim even though we were specific about Section 75? We can certainly do without having the refund taken back - we've already had to book (and pay for) new flights with BA.
    • tintown
    • By tintown 26th Nov 17, 2:54 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tintown
    i have credit card with nationwide and received this reply I am pleased to tell you that i have been able to recover the funds from the retailer refund shown on next statement.The retailer may choose to challenge our reasons for claiming back these funds which may mean that your account could be debited again in the future we will let you know in this case.

So have i got it back or not ?
    • JJwrites
    • By JJwrites 27th Nov 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JJwrites
    I booked Monarch flights for me and my sister with Lastminute.com on my debit card. This came to £304.

I've finally heard back from Lastminute today (my bank incorrectly said they could sort it out for me, then when I called to chase they said there was nothing they could do) and they are refunding me but it's £27 less because of a 'refund management fee'. This hasn't been mentioned before so is this allowed? Given that we've been over £300 short for almost 2 months I'm surprised they are allowed to do this!

Also, I didn't try to go to my insurer. Should I have?

As a result of the Monarch flights being cancelled we had to book with BA and spend around £200 extra, so we've lost out on money (plus had a nightmare getting home as the only available flight time was very late at night!).

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you
    JJ
    Last edited by JJwrites; 27-11-2017 at 5:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to add another question
    • JudBam
    • By JudBam 29th Nov 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JudBam
    Evidence of Monarch Flight Booking
    I am trying to reclaim payment for Monarch flight booking June 2018 from Nationwide BS. NBS require evidence of the booking but the only confirmation email from Monarch has a link to their website showing details of the booking. The link has now of course been taken down. I have no further evidence other than my hotel booking confirmation. Is there any way I can get a copy of my booking from Monarch administrators?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 29th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I am trying to reclaim payment for Monarch flight booking June 2018 from Nationwide BS. NBS require evidence of the booking but the only confirmation email from Monarch has a link to their website showing details of the booking. The link has now of course been taken down. I have no further evidence other than my hotel booking confirmation. Is there any way I can get a copy of my booking from Monarch administrators?
    Originally posted by JudBam
    If you've got your confirmation email then it's got all the flight details on it, including prices.
    • JudBam
    • By JudBam 29th Nov 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JudBam
    Monarch Confirmation Email
    No the email just says "thanks for booking" and refers me to the button at the top - manage my booking with reference number. There are no details eg date, time, flight number in the body of the email. When I click on the button at the top - it goes to a blank page. I have no other confirmation email. Any ideas how to obtain these as NBS asking for evidence.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 29th Nov 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    No the email just says "thanks for booking" and refers me to the button at the top - manage my booking with reference number. There are no details eg date, time, flight number in the body of the email. When I click on the button at the top - it goes to a blank page. I have no other confirmation email. Any ideas how to obtain these as NBS asking for evidence.
    Originally posted by JudBam

Strange. All my confirmation emails from Monarch (and I've had many of them) have had full details on them.

I'm looking at one now. At the top it says Thank You. Booking confirmation. There's a link to my booking. There's the booking date, the status of the booking and the booking total.

Then it tells you about API, there's a bit about car hire and then the itinerary which has full names, seat numbers, baggage, flight numbers, dates, routes, times.

Then there's some more reading about OLCI check, then a section which details any flight extra eg priority boarding. After that there's booking contact details and payment details.

That's followed by info for PRM, and then it mentions flight terms and conditions.

All mine have always been like that. Did you book direct with Monarch, or via a third party?
    • JudBam
    • By JudBam 29th Nov 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JudBam
    Booked direct. The email is very similar to what you say. I have booked before and usually get a full confirmation. No the email just says "thanks for booking with us, we look forward to welcoming you aboard" and then goes on to give details of APL, car hire etc. At the time it didn't matter because the link to manage my booking worked but as I say nothing showing now. I booked the flight beginning of September and NBS are saying I have no proof that I didn't get the flight before Monarch went into administration. I have rebooked with another airline so not sure if NBS will consider looking at that booking and also my hotel booking next June as evidence.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 29th Nov 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    NBS can't link your new flight and hotel booking to your Monarch booking unless you have proof of your Monarch travel date. If you had that the new bookings would be superfluous anyway.

If there's absolutely nothing on your email that gives a travel date then I can only suggest you contact the adminstrators.
    • tintown
    • By tintown 29th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tintown
    would it be possible to go back in your history on the pc or whatever you used.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 30th Nov 17, 8:27 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    We have a John Lewis credit card with which we bought our flights for next Summer direct through the Monarch website. Following advice here we put in an "Anticipatory Breach" claim under Section 75 in writing to John Lewis. After some delay, the money has been refunded to our Credit Card account and we have had the credit balance transferred to our bank account.

However, the letter outlining the refund says the following:

"We're investigating the matter for you with the retailer's bank and have arranged to refund this amount to your Partnership card while this happens....
    .... If our claim is unsuccessful we will let you know either by phoning or writing to you. In that event, the transaction may be re-debited from your account" (emphasis mine)

We're not sure what that means? Are they saying they're making a chargeback claim even though we were specific about Section 75? We can certainly do without having the refund taken back - we've already had to book (and pay for) new flights with BA.
    Originally posted by AndyE000
    i have credit card with nationwide and received this reply I am pleased to tell you that i have been able to recover the funds from the retailer refund shown on next statement.The retailer may choose to challenge our reasons for claiming back these funds which may mean that your account could be debited again in the future we will let you know in this case.

So have i got it back or not ?
    Originally posted by tintown
    The letters said exactly the same for me, its a standard wording for a transaction reversal of this nature. The chances of anyone (including the retailer) actually disputing the chargeback is 0%, stop worrying.

Most credit cards are processing them en masse as chargebacks rather than S75 claims, hence this wording.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

948Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin