Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,219Posts
    • 153,105Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 3
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 2nd Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    footyguy
    I've just rang Santander to try and do the debit card chargeback for flights I booked in April, she told me no, I have to go and get my money back from the CAA, which is wrong as the CAA website says to contact my bank!. I read her what it says on the CAA website she still said no. She said they may change their stance and to ring back tomorrow. I said that I would be contacting the ombudsman if they refuse.
    Originally posted by miamoo
    The OS won't assist you until at least 8 weeks after you have lodged an official complaint ... unless the supplier provides a deadlock letter before then explaining their final decision on the complaint.

You don't have a final decision as the supplier said "they may change their stance and to ring back tomorrow"
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 2nd Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 18,825 Posts
    • 43,390 Thanks
    peachyprice
    That CAA advice is not as clear as you think it is.

If you are abroad at this very moment in time, no matter who you travelled with and you have return flights with Monarch and you are due home before the 15th they will get you home.

If you are in the UK right here and now and planning to depart the UK in the next few days and return on a monarch flight before the 15th October - They will NOT get you home
    Originally posted by JW1975
    But how would they know when you arrived if you are travelling with a different airline?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I have booked a flight (outbound only) with Monarch via lastminute.com but cannot find anywhere my rights in this situation and lastminute.com are not helping. They do not provide a breakdown of costs only a total cost so am not sure whether I can claim via my credit card as not sure whether the Monarch flight was over £100.
    Looks like I will have to book another, more expensive flight.
    Originally posted by MPhillips
    It'll be the total cost in this case as it was sold as a package and if one part is missing then I'd assume you can't use the rest. There may be a chance that if you decide to use the bit that is still valid that the cost of a new flight could be an incidental expense which S75 covers. Might be a long shot, but do a bit of reading round and make sure you know the rules before you speak to the credit card company as they probably aren't experts in S75 either.

I can only assume Lastminute still only has basic ATOL cover. Full cover means that they can book you on another flight at no extra cost to you or them, but this is not an option all travel agents take up I believe; well that was the case last year when I was reading round the subject when I was hit by Low Cost Holidays going under.
    • miamoo
    • By miamoo 2nd Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    miamoo
    The OS won't assist you until at least 8 weeks after you have lodged an official complaint ... unless the supplier provides a deadlock letter before then explaining their final decision on the complaint.

You don't have a final decision as the supplier said "they may change their stance and to ring back tomorrow"
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Ok thanks, I am going to see what they say tomorrow, and then give it a few days to see how the situation develops. If Martin Lewis is correct that Santander is the only bank saying no, they could change their mind. If not do you think its worth me sending a written request to do a chargeback? or is them saying 'no' on the phone enough for me to go to the ombudsman?
    £100 - £10,000
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I hope someone can help me out with this...

I am flying to Lisbon on Friday with RyanAir NOT Monarch. I then have a flight home on Monday THROUGH Monarch.

Can I still go as my flight home is within the 14 days and should still be operating?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by denglish89
    Who did you book through and how did you pay for the trip? Is it part of a package deal with ATOL cover?

If you are on a flight only booking I don't believe the CAA are flying people home as the ATOL will only apply to package deals.

If you booked through an intermediary it is best to talk to them first, sadly they are all a bit busy today though so I can appreciate that not having an answer will be driving you a bit mad. Try to be patient is the only advice I have and I know that it is not easy in this situation.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Ok thanks, I am going to see what they say tomorrow, and then give it a few days to see how the situation develops. If Martin Lewis is correct that Santander is the only bank saying no, they could change their mind. If not do you think its worth me sending a written request to do a chargeback? or is them saying 'no' on the phone enough for me to go to the ombudsman?
    Originally posted by miamoo
    Hi, this sounds very familiar. A lot of banks and card companies tried to send people down alternative routes for refunds when Low Cost Holidays went under. Humour them and try, get your evidence together that it is not something you can do and go back to them. If they say the same thing again raise it as a complaint, there are rules on complaints that banks need to comply with and if you need to go to the ombudsman you can be seen to have tried to resolve it with the bank. Be patient, stick to the facts and use Martin's advice pages to read into your rights and don't take no for an answer.
    • Oly
    • By Oly 2nd Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oly
    Help - Tangled in both Ryanair's & Monarch's mess!
    Bear with me, it's complicated, but we've got tangled in both Ryanair & Monarch's mess!

In June we booked return flights with Ryanair. Last week we received an email stating that our return flight was cancelled and that we could either have a refund or alternative Ryanair flight. We contacted Ryanair via webchat who (due to timings of flights) changed our return flight to one 2 days earlier. However we then found out that this would have knock-on costs with car hire, accommodation etc. As such, after reading online that Ryanair should be offering replacement flights on alternative carriers we contacted Ryanair (webchat) and they agreed to pay up to 3x the original flight cost for an alternative return flight. As such we booked an alternative return flight (£380 for the 3 of us) on Thursday and submitted our receipt and the webchat transcript to Ryanair. The next day Ryanair sent us an email refusing to pay for the alternative flight. Today our alternative carrier (Monarch) have cancelled all future flights!

When Ryanair refused to honour the alternative flight costs we contacted our credit card company (Barclaycard) who have suspended the June payment to Ryanair to follow their dispute process. Today we have again contacted Barclaycard who has also suspended our payment to Monarch for the alternative return flight.

Our questions are;

1.) Are we correct in saying that Ryanair DO have to honour paying for an alternative carrier for our return flight?
    2.) What are our chances of getting our money back from Barclaycard for the Monarch flights?

We still wnt out outbound Ryanair flights but the answers of the above will then determine whether we buy new flights (as prices are rising) or cut our holiday short, pay the extras on car hire/accomodation etc for the privilege, and take the Ryanair flight home 2 days early.

What a palaver!
    Last edited by Oly; 02-10-2017 at 2:15 PM.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Bear with me, it's complicated, but we've got tangled in both Ryanair & Monarch's mess!

Our questions are;

1.) Are we correct in saying that Ryanair DO have to honour paying for an alternative carrier for our return flight?
    2.) What are our chances of getting our money back from Barclaycard for the Monarch flights?

We still wnt out outbound Ryanair flights but the answers of the above will then determine whether we buy new flights (as prices are rising) or cut our holiday short, pay the extras on car hire/accomodation etc for the privilege, and take the Ryanair flight home 2 days early.

What a palaver!
    Originally posted by Oly
    Oh bless you, that is a horrible mess.

Can't help on question one, but I believe they are supposed to be paying to put you on a rival carrier.

With regard to question 2, Barclaycard should refund the cost of the Monarch flights but be patient as they are probably waiting to see how many claims they get. When Low Cost Holidays went under it took them about a month to decide to start issuing refunds and then a long time to get through each one. Hope that helps, good luck with Ryan Air, at least they are still trading, although it's a shame Monarch went under, their customer service was always good and their staff didn't deserve any of this.
    • r.dorward
    • By r.dorward 2nd Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    r.dorward
    Monarch Airlines
    I booked and paid for accommdation and (Monarch) flights for next April through Alpharooms, now that Monarch flights are all cancelled, are Alpharooms liable to provide replacement flights ? as we paid Alpharooms not Monarch. Sent couple of emails to Alpharooms but no response.
    Original flight was due at Alicante at 19.30 plus tranfer times so we would arrive at accommoation well after 8pm, contacted Alpharooms for information about keys for apartment as office closes at 6pm but no response, over a week now and no further reponse from Alpharooms.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I booked and paid for accommdation and (Monarch) flights for next April through Alpharooms, now that Monarch flights are all cancelled, are Alpharooms liable to provide replacement flights ? as we paid Alpharooms not Monarch. Sent couple of emails to Alpharooms but no response.
    Original flight was due at Alicante at 19.30 plus tranfer times so we would arrive at accommoation well after 8pm, contacted Alpharooms for information about keys for apartment as office closes at 6pm but no response, over a week now and no further reponse from Alpharooms.
    Originally posted by r.dorward
    Check the ATOL certificate they supplied to you, there is a long bit on their web site saying what is and isn't covered. Be patient, they are probably very busy today and dealing with people who are on holiday or were due to go in the next couple of days. At worst you should get a refund from them, but I keep my fingers crossed that you can rescue your trip.
    • davholla
    • By davholla 2nd Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    davholla
    Has anyone paid for future flights with Barclays visa debit? If so have you contacted the bank? (Asking for a friend, who was told to contact Monarch).
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Has anyone paid for future flights with Barclays visa debit? If so have you contacted the bank? (Asking for a friend, who was told to contact Monarch).
    Originally posted by davholla
    Get them to start the chargeback process, it can take some time to get a refund, but it will happen. They will always try to be the last option to reclaim money, but in this case I think they are the only option. Be patient it can take some time as the claims rack up and they decide how to deal with the situation, but they will get there in the end. Don't take no for an answer, read up on chargeback on the main web page so they can't fob you off. After Low Cost Holidays last year you'd think they'd be a bit more clued up.
    • JoJoClow
    • By JoJoClow 2nd Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JoJoClow
    Please can anyone advise me.
    On Thursday I received a code from Monarch EU claims for £1685 in compensation for a 6 hour flight delay in August. I chose the credit vouchers as it meant I got 20% more and as we fly Monarch it made sense.
    All I have is the email confirmation of my compensation with the voucher code for £1685. I only got it on Thursday and I'm devastated as you can imagine. I'm a single mum with 3 disabled girls , this was going to pay for flights for other breaks for us.
    As Monarch were paying under the EU Claims for flight delay rules and the credit vouchers cannot be used do I have any rights to claim at all?
    Please please help
    Thanks so much
    • davholla
    • By davholla 2nd Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    davholla
    Get them to start the chargeback process, it can take some time to get a refund, but it will happen. They will always try to be the last option to reclaim money, but in this case I think they are the only option. Be patient it can take some time as the claims rack up and they decide how to deal with the situation, but they will get there in the end. Don't take no for an answer, read up on chargeback on the main web page so they can't fob you off. After Low Cost Holidays last year you'd think they'd be a bit more clued up.
    Originally posted by N4t4lie
    Thank you and to be honest the lack of clueness that some have is amazing.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 2nd Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 18,361 Posts
    • 7,594 Thanks
    richardw
    Did Aplharooms sell you a true package holiday?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 2nd Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Westin
    Please can anyone advise me.
    On Thursday I received a code from Monarch EU claims for £1685 in compensation for a 6 hour flight delay in August. I chose the credit vouchers as it meant I got 20% more and as we fly Monarch it made sense.
    All I have is the email confirmation of my compensation with the voucher code for £1685. I only got it on Thursday and I'm devastated as you can imagine. I'm a single mum with 3 disabled girls , this was going to pay for flights for other breaks for us.
    As Monarch were paying under the EU Claims for flight delay rules and the credit vouchers cannot be used do I have any rights to claim at all?
    Please please help
    Thanks so much
    Originally posted by JoJoClow
    I'm sorry but I think not.

You will become a creditor of the business which has entered into administration.
    • katastrophy
    • By katastrophy 2nd Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    katastrophy
    But how would they know when you arrived if you are travelling with a different airline?
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    According to MSE here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights#noatol

CAA are organising return flights for ALL passengers up to 15th, regardless of if they are currently abroad or not. Currently debating whether to cancel back-up flights but wish the CAA themselves would put this in writing.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 2nd Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    katiepants
    I have an ATOL certificate and also paid with a Credit Card. Am I better claiming a refund through CC company or via ATOL?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I have an ATOL certificate and also paid with a Credit Card. Am I better claiming a refund through CC company or via ATOL?
    Originally posted by katiepants
    If you booked direct with Monarch you need to claim via the CAA, form does not seem to be available yet apparently.

If you booked via a travel agent or intermediary get in touch with them and they should offer a refund or alternative holiday.

In this case you shouldn't have to go to the credit card. Hope that helps.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 2nd Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 31,952 Posts
    • 37,690 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I feel sorry for all those parents who booked Santa trips to Lapland , Monarch were the only direct flyers to Kittila during the winter and did many of the packages , it's a long flight if not direct assuming you can find flights

Hopefully someone may take up the option to fly to Kittila
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter