Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,072Posts
    • 151,695Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 20
    • pampam
    • By pampam 11th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pampam
    Claim ATOL or Credit card Section 75 refund
    I haven't received my ATOL claim form for the package holiday I booked with Monarch.

Can I claim Credit card Section 75 refund even though I am actually covered by ATOL?

It would be much easier than waiting for and completing ATOL forms.

Thanks
    pam
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I haven't received my ATOL claim form for the package holiday I booked with Monarch.

Can I claim Credit card Section 75 refund even though I am actually covered by ATOL?

Thanks
    pam
    Originally posted by pampam
    Have you actually read the page on the MSE website? You HAVE to go to your credit card first.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights?_ga=2.106104389.774166535.1507533258-1341431290.1485177202

Read this thread as well
    Last edited by bradders1983; 11-10-2017 at 1:04 PM.
    • paul0551
    • By paul0551 11th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    paul0551
    Very rapid refund
    Called American Express about a booking made in April 2017 for flight only tickets for 2018.
    Full refund of nearly £600 in 6 days.
    Great service from American Express
    • Acemoneysaver17
    • By Acemoneysaver17 11th Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Acemoneysaver17
    Has anybody received a refund from Tesco bank yet?
    Hi has anybody received a refund from Tesco yet? They seem to be taking ages to process their claims.

They soon queried a transaction for the replacement holiday we booked last night.

• bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Hi has anybody received a refund from Tesco yet? They seem to be taking ages to process their claims.

They soon queried a transaction for the replacement holiday we booked last night.

Originally posted by Acemoneysaver17
    Its only been a week and two days, neither of my credit cards have sorted it yet and they only accepted my moaning last Thursday.

The relevant departments for banks who deal with things like this are likely to be swamped at the moment, most fraud queries are flagged up automatically these days.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 11-10-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    • tightrs
    • By tightrs 11th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    tightrs
    Two holidays booked with monarch and still no claim form from atol despite them saying we will receive them by the 11th october having booked using a debit card we are in limbo until they get their act together.
    i would be interested to know if anyone else has received theirs is this certificate worth more than the paper its written on ?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Two holidays booked with monarch and still no claim form from atol despite them saying we will receive them by the 11th october having booked using a debit card we are in limbo until they get their act together.
    i would be interested to know if anyone else has received theirs is this certificate worth more than the paper its written on ?
    Originally posted by tightrs
    Have you checked your Junk email folder? Mine went into there.

If you have a holiday booked direct through Monarch Holidays you are covered, you dont actually need to have a physical certificate. Dont see why you are doubting the ATOL protection, as already said you are 100% covered as long as you booked direct with Monarch. There will be a huge list of everyone who booked a holiday and your name will be on it, stop worrying.

If you dont have it by tomorrow morning call the CAA up on 0300 303 2800, press option 3. Ignore the fact it says its only for people abroad.

And remember we still have over 8.5 hours left of October 11th
    Last edited by bradders1983; 11-10-2017 at 3:34 PM.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 11th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    bagand96
    by tightrs
    You will get your money from ATOL. It is absolutely worth the paper it’s written on.

However it won’t be quick. It’ll be months. You’ll be very lucky to see your money this side of Christmas. Probably longer.
    • pampam
    • By pampam 11th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pampam
    Ok Bradders
    Thank you. Point taken
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 36,072 Posts
    • 151,695 Thanks
    silvercar
    Official MSE article with some upto date information.

Regulator backtracks on replacement flights for inbound-only Monarch passengers
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • orangesmartie
    • By orangesmartie 11th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    orangesmartie
    My girlfriend booked a holiday with Monarch last Deember (I don't know the date) as a christmas gift to me. In September (before they went into admin) we were informed that our departure airline had changed and our inbound and outbound flight times had changed. The time change was more than 12 hours on both flights, meaning we would effectively lose two days of our holiday. She spoke to them and was told she would get a refund, but it would take 60-90 days to process. A week later the company goes into administration. No refund received.

She then rang her credit card company to lodge a section 75 claim and was told that they wouldn't repay until after they had claimed from monarch. That doesn't sound right to me, can someone advise how it works please?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    My girlfriend booked a holiday with Monarch last Deember (I don't know the date) as a christmas gift to me. In September (before they went into admin) we were informed that our departure airline had changed and our inbound and outbound flight times had changed. The time change was more than 12 hours on both flights, meaning we would effectively lose two days of our holiday. She spoke to them and was told she would get a refund, but it would take 60-90 days to process. A week later the company goes into administration. No refund received.

She then rang her credit card company to lodge a section 75 claim and was told that they wouldn't repay until after they had claimed from monarch. That doesn't sound right to me, can someone advise how it works please?
    Originally posted by orangesmartie
    There is nothing to claim from Monarch. Just put in a Section 75 claim as per the last few pages of this thread, the fact they were going to refund you is irrelevant.
    • Sailorgirl0412
    • By Sailorgirl0412 11th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sailorgirl0412
    HSBC Section 75 refund
    Has anyone had a credit card refund from HSBC or an indication of timescales?

Also my concern is we have rebooked with Easyjet and paid on same credit card but if we pay off the new flights (using savings) I will then have a big credit on my account which is useless as i am not a credit card user. Wonder if i should close my account so they have to send money to my bank account and then I can replace my savings?? Any ideas or definate guidance? ?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983

Also my concern is we have rebooked with Easyjet and paid on same credit card but if we pay off the new flights (using savings) I will then have a big credit on my account which is useless as i am not a credit card user. Wonder if i should close my account so they have to send money to my bank account and then I can replace my savings?? Any ideas or definate guidance? ?
    Originally posted by Sailorgirl0412
    You don't have to close a credit card account to get a credit balance back. Just ask for it back either as a bank transfer or a cheque, in effect it's just a balance transfer if they do the former anyway.
    It's what I will be doing when mine is refunded.
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 11th Oct 17, 8:15 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    eco_warrior

If it was booked pre 15/12/16 then customers must claim via atol, they will send out a form.

If it’s post that date then your gf can get a chargeback from the credit card provider. So have her check the dates. No bank will pay out under s75 for this as they won’t have to if they can via chargeback.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 11th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie

Which credit card is it? They all treat claims slightly differently and there may be comments from people having the same issue on this forum. If they have a large liability with Monarch they may be waiting till they can secure payments from the administrators before proceeding. Now Monarch had cash in the bank when they went under and assets that can be sold so all claims should be paid. However, I am wondering if in this case as she is using Section 75 that there might be some confusion with chargeback on the banks part.

Fill in the forms, be patient and hope they hit the right desk. Once it does it'll probably be sorted quite quickly, but till it does keep a good written record of all correspondence in case you need to go to the Ombudsmen for any reason.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983

If it was booked pre 15/12/16 then customers must claim via atol, they will send out a form.

If it’s post that date then your gf can get a chargeback from the credit card provider. So have her check the dates. No bank will pay out under s75 for this as they won’t have to if they can via chargeback.
    Originally posted by eco_warrior
    It was a holiday, not a flight only, so doesn't matter when she booked it's ATOL protected. In any case a credit card claim is the way to go, the bit about the refund that never happened is irrelevant in this case
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 11th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie

Thanks
    pam
    Originally posted by pampam
    ATOL have asked anyone who booked a holiday direct with Monarch and used a credit card to make a claim with the credit card first. There is a letter on the Monarch CAA web page you can send to them if they are unaware of this. Make sure they process it as a Section 75 claim and not a chargeback.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 11th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie

I wouldn't close the card, when the refund comes through be creative with your accounts and use the card to pay for everyday things but pay yourself back your savings as you do. May seem protracted, but will have the same effect as getting a cheque in the end.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I wouldn't close the card, when the refund comes through be creative with your accounts and use the card to pay for everyday things but pay yourself back your savings as you do. May seem protracted, but will have the same effect as getting a cheque in the end.
    Originally posted by N4t4lie
    Or just ask for a credit balance refund or a balance transfer to a current account like I already suggested
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,664Posts Today

7,291Users online

Martin's Twitter