Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,180Posts
    • 152,903Thanks
    silvercar
    74 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    74 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 2
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 2nd Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JW1975
    Flights booked to return on or before 15th October will operate, at or around the same time and the CAA will not know or be concerned when you travelled, so I expect return flights booked to operate before 15th should be fine. the new flight times are on the specific Monarch/CAA website but are only being updated slowly on a day to say basis, so nothing for the 15th is available yet.

Do not rebook if your planned return is 15th or sooner as the CAA advice is clear, they will arrange flights at no additional cost
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen

That CAA advice is not as clear as you think it is.

If you are abroad at this very moment in time, no matter who you travelled with and you have return flights with Monarch and you are due home before the 15th they will get you home.

If you are in the UK right here and now and planning to depart the UK in the next few days and return on a monarch flight before the 15th October - They will NOT get you home
    • CROSSY_GY
    • By CROSSY_GY 2nd Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CROSSY_GY
    We were due to fly out with Monarch this afternoon on a package deal booked through teletext holidays, after hearing the news this morning I've managed to book alternative flights (at a higher cost of course), we booked on 9th January 2017 and have an ATOL certificate so I'm assuming that this means we're covered even though we booked after 15th December 2016......? Will we be reimbursed for the extra costs as well...? Any info appreciated.
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 2nd Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JW1975
    I booked my flights home with Amex. Called them first and a claim has been submitted with a quote of 6-8 weeks to get the money back.

No questions about how much were seats, how much were bags and extras etc etc etc

very happy and sooooo glad I bought back up flights on Saturday.

Feel desperately sorry for the Monarch staff. we are worried about going on holiday and they probably wont get one this year.
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 2nd Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JW1975
    Ive booked flights to direct with Monarch but luckily used a credit card so I now need Santander to give me my money back. I called them this morning and told me to send them an email with the details and I should get a reply with 8 weeks!
    Originally posted by Reason123

Basically they set up a 'payment dispute' and you will know in 6-8 weeks if they agree with the dispute. Of course they are going to agree and at that point the credit is applied to your card.

I booked my flights with Amex, but as Amex is a super smooth company to deal with I didn't need any emails etc, just a form they filled in with me over the phone. my time scale is also 6-8 weeks and Im Ok with that.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 36,180 Posts
    • 152,903 Thanks
    silvercar
    That CAA advice is not as clear as you think it is.

If you are abroad at this very moment in time, no matter who you travelled with and you have return flights with Monarch and you are due home before the 15th they will get you home.

If you are in the UK right here and now and planning to depart the UK in the next few days and return on a monarch flight before the 15th October - They will NOT get you home
    Originally posted by JW1975
    Do you have a source for this?

Although that seems the intent of the CAA, I am not sure how they will distinguish those passengers who flew out before 2 october with Monarch from those who flew out with another airline since 2 October ie neither group will be on an outward monarch flight for which the CAA will have been given passenger lists.
    Unless the CAA can see on the list that it is the inbound part of a return flight rather than a single flight booking.
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 2nd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JW1975
    can you still get EU flight canx compo for the canx monarch flights?
    • katastrophy
    • By katastrophy 2nd Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    katastrophy

Although that seems the intent of the CAA, I am not sure how they will distinguish those passengers who flew out before 2 october with Monarch from those who flew out with another airline since 2 October ie neither group will be on an outward monarch flight for which the CAA will have been given passenger lists.
    Unless the CAA can see on the list that it is the inbound part of a return flight rather than a single flight booking.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    This is what I'm struggling to understand. We have booked alternative return flights on the 8th (flying out on the 6th) but now it looks like we might get moved onto an alternative flight, meaning we can't try and make a chargeback claim. Only booked these flights this morning and can still cancel them as it's within 24 hours, incurring an admin fee, but won't find out today about the replacement flight. Going to try and call CAA for clarification but doubt I'll get through and don't really want to take resources away from those poor people stuck abroad. Grrrrrr.
    • AndyKenP
    • By AndyKenP 2nd Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AndyKenP
    16 Oct Flight
    In Portugal and due to fly back with Monarch on 16 Oct. CAA website says I'm not covered by repatriation flights. Yet on same website showing the list of flights from Faro to Birmingham 16 October is the last one shown. Any advice?
    • Gleeful
    • By Gleeful 2nd Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,908 Posts
    • 7,386 Thanks
    Gleeful
    can you still get EU flight canx compo for the canx monarch flights?
    No because this is paid out by the airline itself
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 2nd Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE Forum: Monarch Airlines collapse - latest info and your rights
    Monarch Airlines has ceased trading and all its holidays and flights have been cancelled...
    Read the full story:
    'Monarch Airlines collapse - latest info and your rights'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    • richardw
    • By richardw 2nd Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 18,340 Posts
    • 7,588 Thanks
    richardw
    If some assets are bought by other airlines, we may see some sort of concession if you had a Monarch booking and re-book.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Louiseanderson301
    • By Louiseanderson301 2nd Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Louiseanderson301
    I'm not sure if someone Can give me some advice, we booked a holiday with monarch and ended up changing hotels as the original one we booked was awful and not as advertised, we paid for the new hotel ourselves and monach had confirmed they were going to refund us for the hotel we didn't use approx £850, then the airport transfers never turned up so we had to pay for a taxi to the airport and again they advised we could claim for this back, I emailed them on 19th Sep and have heard nothing, how do I get my money back as my insurance have said I can't claim with them, we paid for our holiday from our bank account and the new hotel on a credit card, we have atoll protection, help??
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 2nd Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JW1975

CAA via another closed forum

all the information on the CAA website and rescue flights is aimed at people who are abroad. If you are not abroad then you don't get cover. It really is as simple as that.
    Last edited by JW1975; 02-10-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    • MPhillips
    • By MPhillips 2nd Oct 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MPhillips
    I have booked a flight (outbound only) with Monarch via lastminute.com but cannot find anywhere my rights in this situation and lastminute.com are not helping. They do not provide a breakdown of costs only a total cost so am not sure whether I can claim via my credit card as not sure whether the Monarch flight was over £100.
    Looks like I will have to book another, more expensive flight.
    • AndyKenP
    • By AndyKenP 2nd Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AndyKenP
    Monarch
    CAA HAVE CORRECTED THEIR WEB SITE. No advice now required! Good luck to everyone else!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 2nd Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    footyguy
    CAA via another closed forum

all the information on the CAA website and rescue flights is aimed at people who are abroad. If you are not abroad then you don't get cover. It really is as simple as that.

From the CAA website

I booked a Monarch flight as my return journey, alongside another flight by another airline. Am I protected?

If you are due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017, we will be arranging a new flight for you.

If you are due to travel on or after 16 October 2017, you will need to book your own flight back to the UK.

If you booked your flights through another travel company, please contact them for advice or speak to your insurer or card issuer. If you need to book a new flight, please see the information on alternative airlines that are available.

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/how-do-i-know-if-i-am-atol-protected/
    • JezR
    • By JezR 2nd Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    JezR
    The airlines operating the rescue flights are given by the CAA a list of passengers for each flight. If your name isn't on the list then you aren't going to get on unless the operator accepts you, and since they won't get paid for it you would have to be somewhat lucky.
    • miamoo
    • By miamoo 2nd Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    miamoo
    I've just rang Santander to try and do the debit card chargeback for flights I booked in April, she told me no, I have to go and get my money back from the CAA, which is wrong as the CAA website says to contact my bank!. I read her what it says on the CAA website she still said no. She said they may change their stance and to ring back tomorrow. I said that I would be contacting the ombudsman if they refuse.
    £100 - £10,000
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 2nd Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    footyguy
    Necessary because the title was so misleading.

...:
    It was misleading, imho, the moment it was posted, hence my post as early as post#2 there.

But the thread remained for almost 24 hours, only being locked after myself and others posted useful information, as it was developing, and there were others with questions, presumably hoping for replies, but they won't get them now
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 2nd Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Please could someone help?

We have Monach flights booked, but paid in December last year so should be covered- and they were cheap at the time.

The B&B booked in Venice for 4 nights (2 couples) is $90 per night per room. On their email it states they will take 100% of the cost if cancelled after 01/10/17!

Other flights (Jet2) are about £550 retrun per couple- which is too expensive for us.

How do we stand with the credit card payment for the accomodation, claiming it back, or going with section 75, if we have no flight......but could go at a much higher cost?

Thank you x
    Originally posted by toozie
    Section 75 should cover you for incidental costs associated with loss of the flights if the original flights were over £100. The credit card company may argue that you can still use the hotel though, but it's worth a try especially if they were both booked on the same credit card. It might prove difficult, but do a bit of reading round (Martin has got a lot of articles on S75 that are really good (the credit card staff may not be aware of all the rules of Section 75), put your case to them in writing (send it recorded delivery) and don't take no for an answer. Personal experience says they will try to fob you off the first time. Be patient it will take time though.

If you can find the old thread when Low Cost Holidays went under there are plenty of stories of people who did succeed using S75 in just this situation.

Best of luck and so sorry you have had your break cancelled, it is a truly horrid for all customers and staff effected by this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,928Users online

Martin's Twitter