Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,195Posts
    • 152,958Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 19
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I booked a flight before the 15 December 2016 and received the ATOL certificate. I have not received a claim form to date. Any advise please.
    Originally posted by Ladypancake
    Did you book direct with the airline? The CAA website has information on their dedicated Monarch pages. You should receive a claim form no later than today. If it doesn't arrive you need to contact the CAA. If you use twitter you can send them a DM. Make sure you check your spam/junk though.
    • Ladypancake
    • By Ladypancake 11th Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ladypancake
    I booked direct with the airline. I have tried to contact the CAA but they are not taking calls for 'yet to fly' until 14 October 2017. I have checked my spam/junk. Unfortunately, I do not use Twitter.
    • Ladypancake
    • By Ladypancake 11th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ladypancake
    I have tried your advise. Option 3 is for accommodation problems whilst still abroad. Option 4 is for 'yet to fly' and they are not taking calls until the 14 October 2017.
    • pontysteve
    • By pontysteve 11th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pontysteve
    Thanks for your reply. All three bookings were made between 2nd & 4th December 2016 - just after they released new flights into Spring 2018. I have checked all three a-mails and they are the same - no PDF attachment, and no ATOL red box/signature at the bottom of the e-mail.

All three flights were booked direct with Monarch via their website - so were all the flight bookings ATOL protected? I'm confused - was the ATOL protection something that you paid for within extra's, or was it automatically included as part of any direct booking? I assume that payment method didn't impact on whether they were covered by ATOL or not - all were paid via Paypal on credit card. I will just have to wait until tonight and then contact them.
    Last edited by pontysteve; 11-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I have tried your advise. Option 3 is for accommodation problems whilst still abroad. Option 4 is for 'yet to fly' and they are not taking calls until the 14 October 2017.
    I know its only for people abroad, however ignore that and stick with it. I rang them and they were happy to speak to me, sometimes you just have to ignore things you hear on recorded phone lines
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I booked direct with the airline. I have tried to contact the CAA but they are not taking calls for 'yet to fly' until 14 October 2017. I have checked my spam/junk. Unfortunately, I do not use Twitter.
    I'd wait until tomorrow morning to see if anything arrives by the end of today. If you can't get through by phone before the 14th then leave it until then. It's only a couple of days.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 21,124 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone,

We've added this video with Martin's tips on what to do if your chargeback is rejected to the Monarch Airlines Help guide

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Thanks for your reply. All three bookings were made between 2nd & 4th December 2016 - just after they released new flights into Spring 2018. I have checked all three a-mails and they are the same - no PDF attachment, and no ATOL red box/signature at the bottom of the e-mail.

All three flights were booked direct with Monarch via their website - so were all the flight bookings ATOL protected? I'm confused
    Originally posted by pontysteve
    If they were protected you would have automatically received an Atol as an attachment to your confirmation. If you made any alterations to the flight you would have received an amended Atol with your confirmation.

I'm just looking at my confirmation for flights I booked on 4th November 2016 and those attachments are definitely there.

The bookings were for flights departing the UK?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I received an Atol claim form in my Junk Email box today.
    Can anyone confirm that it is, in fact, genuine please as it asks for Bank details and you can't be too careful these days.
    This is the link:-

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pcmcf/1/MONDIR+06172.pdf

Thanks Pam
    Originally posted by pampam
    Yes it is genuine.

https://twitter.com/UK_CAA/status/918055086772948993
    Last edited by bradders1983; 11-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    • pontysteve
    • By pontysteve 11th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pontysteve
    Yes - all three bookings were return flights with Monarch originating from the UK, all booked direct through the website, and all booked between 2nd & 4th December 2016 - so 10 days before ATOL cover was dropped for flight only bookings. As you can appreciate - I cant understand why there is no mention of ATOL cover, as I cant ever remember any option to tick or add as extra's during the booking process.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Yes - all three bookings were return flights with Monarch originating from the UK, all booked direct through the website, and all booked between 2nd & 4th December 2016 - so 10 days before ATOL cover was dropped for flight only bookings. As you can appreciate - I cant understand why there is no mention of ATOL cover, as I cant ever remember any option to tick or add as extra's during the booking process.
    Very strange. It's a pity you didn't query the lack of an Atol certificate at the time. I've got 2 bookings that were made when flight only was protected, and both have the attachments. I've also got one that was made during that time, but was a one way inbound so not covered. The bottom of the email is different. The box at the bottom that says "This is an automated email - please do not reply" doesn't have the Atol logo with their Atol number under the Monarch 'M' logo. Those that I received certificates for do.
    • pontysteve
    • By pontysteve 11th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pontysteve
    Thanks for your reply again. Yes - my e-mails all say the same at the bottom 'this is an automated e-mail...'. I never queried the fact that the ATOL certificate wasn't attached as I hadn't noticed. Maybe they updated their e-mails prior to ditching the ATOL?

I am hoping that the fact that I have yet to receive the claims e-mail is down to the fact that they are working in chronological order. After all, our flight bookings were made less than 2 weeks prior to ATOL being dropped. I just hope that our bookings will be picked up by the reviewers for claims in due course.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 21,124 Thanks
    MSE Andrea

All three flights were booked direct with Monarch via their website - so were all the flight bookings ATOL protected? I'm confused - was the ATOL protection something that you paid for within extra's, or was it automatically included as part of any direct booking? I assume that payment method didn't impact on whether they were covered by ATOL or not - all were paid via Paypal on credit card. I will just have to wait until tonight and then contact them.
    Hi pontysteve

This part of our guide may help:

What if I can't find my Atol certificate
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Thanks for your reply again. Yes - my e-mails all say the same at the bottom 'this is an automated e-mail...'. I never queried the fact that the ATOL certificate wasn't attached as I hadn't noticed. Maybe they updated their e-mails prior to ditching the ATOL?

I am hoping that the fact that I have yet to receive the claims e-mail is down to the fact that they are working in chronological order. After all, our flight bookings were made less than 2 weeks prior to ATOL being dropped. I just hope that our bookings will be picked up by the reviewers for claims in due course.
    Does that grey box have the Atol logo in it, under the Monarch logo?

I doubt they changed them prior. Even if they took the Atol logo off the email the attachment would still be there to comply with the Atol regulations.

All claims forms should be received by email by the end of today. If you don't get one and you're on Twitter you can send the CAA a DM and they'll look into it.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Hi pontysteve

This part of our guide may help:

What if I can't find my Atol certificate
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Is can't find it the same as never having received one? Lot's of people won't be able to find it because they never printed it and they've binned their email.
    • pontysteve
    • By pontysteve 11th Oct 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pontysteve
    Thanks Andrea - yes. I've seen that. As stated before I simply cannot understand why our bookings wont be ATOL protected, as they seem to fall within all the required criteria.

Failing ATOL for any reason, we will file Section 75 claims with our credit card. We have already made one for our most recent booking this July.

As you can tell - we were regular customers of Monarch. Sad to see them go, as they were a very good airline and served us well over the years. Our dealings with trying to arrange refunds is nothing compared to the staff that were made redundant are going through.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    It isnt the end of 11th October yet, if you dont have it by first thing in the morning and you have checked your Junk inbox, either ask them on Twitter or ring them and press Option 3. Ignore the bit which says its only for people who are abroad, it will put you through to someone.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 11th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Failing ATOL for any reason, we will file Section 75 claims with our credit card. We have already made one for our most recent booking this July.

As you can tell - we were regular customers of Monarch. Sad to see them go, as they were a very good airline and served us well over the years. Our dealings with trying to arrange refunds is nothing compared to the staff that were made redundant are going through.
    If you paid with a credit card then Section 75 is your claims route in any case. Even people ATOL protected are being told to claim via Section 75 with their card company.

Get on to them. They’ll probably try and stall you at first with ATOL but stay firm that you want a Section 75 claim as they remain jointly liable for the transaction.

Many others are sad to see them go as well... the UK’s oldest airline brand.
    • CROSSY_GY
    • By CROSSY_GY 11th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CROSSY_GY
    There seems to be a few questions regarding 'extra costs incurred' and whether we are entitled to refund/compensation for this, mine is a prime example....I booked a package deal through teletext holidays and was due to fly out with Monarch from Birmingham on Monday 2nd Oct at 14:00hrs, upon hearing the news at 05:00am in the morning I preceded to try and book alternative flights so my family wouldn't miss out on their holiday that they'd be looking forward to for the last 10 months (as it wasn't a Monarch package deal the Hotel booking still stood with Teletext), Teletext have agreed to refund me the original flight costs but what about the additional £350 I had to pay for the new flights which were the following morning from Leeds/Bradford plus the fact that we lost a day of our holiday.

Any info appreciated.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 11th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    There seems to be a few questions regarding 'extra costs incurred' and whether we are entitled to refund/compensation for this, mine is a prime example....I booked a package deal through teletext holidays and was due to fly out with Monarch from Birmingham on Monday 2nd Oct at 14:00hrs, upon hearing the news at 05:00am in the morning I preceded to try and book alternative flights so my family wouldn't miss out on their holiday that they'd be looking forward to for the last 10 months (as it wasn't a Monarch package deal the Hotel booking still stood with Teletext), Teletext have agreed to refund me the original flight costs but what about the additional £350 I had to pay for the new flights which were the following morning from Leeds/Bradford plus the fact that we lost a day of our holiday.

Any info appreciated.
    Originally posted by CROSSY_GY
    You wont be able to get anything off anyone for those, sorry.

Ive lost two days of my holiday by booking something else, just going to have to suck it up and suppose be thankful you havent lost the lot.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 11-10-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

2,011Users online

Martin's Twitter