Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,050Posts
    • 151,598Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 17
    • GGardner
    • By GGardner 7th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GGardner
    Following - this is my exact situation too. I've raised another complaint to PayPal as I can't raise a dispute, but they haven't responded yet. I'm going to try calling tomorrow.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 8th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Following - this is my exact situation too. I've raised another complaint to PayPal as I can't raise a dispute, but they haven't responded yet. I'm going to try calling tomorrow.
    Originally posted by GGardner
    Keep at them, stay calm, never get angry and stick to the facts (and yes this is not easy), make sure you keep notes of all calls and make sure at the end of the call you end with the operator agreeing to your summary of it especially if this contains a time scale for when they will get back to you and how. If at the end you have not got a result that you feel is fair then having records of all correspondence can help you put your case to the Financial Ombudsmen.

And this update from MSE:

"Booked via PayPal? File a protection claim. If your flight is not covered by ATOL protection, you can file a PayPal buyer protection claim using this link.

Some Monarch customers have found they're unable to make a claim through Paypal because the deadline for its protection has passed - normally you can only claim within 180 days of purchase.

Paypal's since told us it's waiving that deadline for some as a "goodwill gesture", but if you still have problems you could try chargeback. Several banks have told us they are accepting chargeback claims from PayPal customers, as long as you purchased the flight less than 540 days ago."

Sadly you are in the lovely trap of dealing with a set of computer forms and as we know nothing substitutes being able to talk to a human being when something isn't quite right. I'm sure once you can that the experience with Paypal should improve, hang in there and keep us posted.
    • Sindy
    • By Sindy 8th Oct 17, 2:22 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Sindy
    Refunded
    I raised a dispute on 2nd Oct with Halifax for paying for 2 flights over £100 on my credit card. They just asked me to send them the email confirmation from Monarch.

I'm pleased to say that I have now received a refund for the full amount.

• bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 8th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I raised a dispute on 2nd Oct with Halifax for paying for 2 flights over £100 on my credit card. They just asked me to send them the email confirmation from Monarch.

I'm pleased to say that I have now received a refund for the full amount.

Originally posted by Sindy
    They have refunded you already?!?!

Blimey. Im not expecting any resolution for a few weeks on mine!
    • Sindy
    • By Sindy 8th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Sindy
    They have refunded you already?!?!

Blimey. Im not expecting any resolution for a few weeks on mine!
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    I was surprised too! I was told I'd be contacted within 7 - 10 days.
    I was just checking my bank account and saw I had a credit

Excellent service!
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 8th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I was surprised too! I was told I'd be contacted within 7 - 10 days.
    I was just checking my bank account and saw I had a credit

Excellent service!
    Originally posted by Sindy
    Well on the 2nd you probably got in early plus this is a cut and dried case, it's hardly a local retailer who has gone bust. Hopefully mine will be done before the end of the month.
    • trevdavey
    • By trevdavey 9th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trevdavey
    Paypal refunds
    Is anyone else having problems with getting through to paypal to request a monarch airlines refund. Cant seem to register a querie as it says I already have one open, but when I try to open it says I haven't got any registered. Soooo frustrating. I need to speak to a real person but phone helpline is automated and cant get any sense to my querie.
    • MisterP123
    • By MisterP123 9th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    MisterP123
    Lastminute.com
    Update on Lastminute.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I managed to book replacement flights early last Monday after being unsuccessful getting through to lastminute. Finally spoke to them and told them about my alternative flights and was told that they would make a note on my booking and somebody would be in touch to offer a solution.

Email this morning to say they can not offer a solution and package holiday has been cancelled and a full refund will be issued. Thanks for the solution lastminute! So I now have flights but no hotel. Can't book the hotel separately now as there are no rooms available. I've emailed them direct to see if I can book my original reservation direct but got the feeling this isn't going to be successful. In the meantime I'm left looking for alternative accommodation, which isn't going well seeing as I'm due to fly a week tomorrow (the 17th,) it's half term and there's hardly any rooms left anywhere.
    • steve B
    • By steve B 9th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steve B
    Monarch Question
    Hi
    I was abroad when it happened and came back on the replacement flight without any issues. My question is can I claim back from my credit card company the extras I paid for like extra legroom seats?

thanks
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 9th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Hi
    I was abroad when it happened and came back on the replacement flight without any issues. My question is can I claim back from my credit card company the extras I paid for like extra legroom seats?

thanks
    Originally posted by steve B
    Well I have, gone in as part of the S75 claim along with the rest of it. However I can prove I never got the extra legroom seats though as no flight operated. Keep all your boarding cards etc as you will may be asked to prove you never got this service.
    • noelphobic
    • By noelphobic 9th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    noelphobic
    I phoned M and S to make a chàrgeback claim and they've sent me a form to fill in. It says I have to contact or attempt to contact Monarch first and provide evidence of this. How àre people doing this?
    3 stone lost from May-December 2016. 2.5 more to lose in 2017.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 9th Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I phoned M and S to make a chàrgeback claim and they've sent me a form to fill in. It says I have to contact or attempt to contact Monarch first and provide evidence of this. How àre people doing this?
    Originally posted by noelphobic
    You basically tell them they have gone bust and its all over the news, it cant be a surprise to M&S, they will have thousands of customers doing the same

There is a letter on here you can give to M&S (or send them the link to it)

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

Just tell them you have contacted ATOL/CAAL and thats the letter they have given you. But like I said, credit card companies will know that nobody can contact Monarch, its just the standard form for all claims like this.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 09-10-2017 at 3:39 PM.
    • citykid5
    • By citykid5 9th Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    citykid5
    I'm currently having problems claiming back through Santander credit card, thought it would be straight forward, but because my wife paid for her flight on her card and because it's a secondary card on the account. Santander say I can't use section 75 because I as the main cardholder wouldn't benefit from the refund ? So I've got to go through a long winded goods not received process ��
    • noelphobic
    • By noelphobic 9th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    noelphobic
    You basically tell them they have gone bust and its all over the news, it cant be a surprise to M&S, they will have thousands of customers doing the same

There is a letter on here you can give to M&S (or send them the link to it)

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

Just tell them you have contacted ATOL/CAAL and thats the letter they have given you. But like I said, credit card companies will know that nobody can contact Monarch, its just the standard form for all claims like this.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    I'm assuming it's standard practice with a chargeback' claim. When I phoned them to initiate the claim I got the impression they'd been well briefed and they asked all the right questions, so hopefully that questions just a formality.

I had a bad experience with Barclaycard a few months ago when I made a Section 75 claim. I got a refund when I told them I would go to the Ombudsman if they didn't refund me. I'm glad I'm not dealing with them now!
    3 stone lost from May-December 2016. 2.5 more to lose in 2017.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 9th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 4,483 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Update on Lastminute.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I managed to book replacement flights early last Monday after being unsuccessful getting through to lastminute. Finally spoke to them and told them about my alternative flights and was told that they would make a note on my booking and somebody would be in touch to offer a solution.

Email this morning to say they can not offer a solution and package holiday has been cancelled and a full refund will be issued. Thanks for the solution lastminute! So I now have flights but no hotel. Can't book the hotel separately now as there are no rooms available. I've emailed them direct to see if I can book my original reservation direct but got the feeling this isn't going to be successful. In the meantime I'm left looking for alternative accommodation, which isn't going well seeing as I'm due to fly a week tomorrow (the 17th,) it's half term and there's hardly any rooms left anywhere.
    Originally posted by MisterP123
    One of my relations had a similar problem with Secret Escapes -they couldn't replace the return flight (going out was with Thos Cook) so have cancelled the whole holiday!
    Fortunately,she is not tied on date so has managed to book the same hotel plus flights for a week later.
    • Guineapoi8
    • By Guineapoi8 9th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guineapoi8
    Speaking to a real PayPal person
    I had this problem too with the automated line. Just say 'I want to speak to an agent' and they will put you through to a real person. The line was busy but I left my phone number and they called back within 10 minutes.
    • goforgold58
    • By goforgold58 9th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    goforgold58
    Thanks for your reply. I understood that the whole of the amount paid was covered if you paid by Credit Card. Didn't realise only the cardholder received their share of any refund if things go wrong. What family by separate tickets? That means a family of 4 would only get a quarter back provided it was over £100. It's a con!

I'll always pay by PayPal in future. For some unknown reason I clicked pay with them. Didn't know until santander said ring them as they weren't interested. PayPal arw refunding whole amount no quibble!
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 9th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Update on Lastminute.

Originally posted by MisterP123
    Have a look on trivago
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *34lbs lost* *51lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 13 weeks in -25lbs
    3/9 to NYE 0lbs down / 16lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • winner3131
    • By winner3131 10th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    winner3131
    Late last night i recieved an email from Protect Claims emailing on behalf of the CAA with a form to fill in for claiming back the cost of my package under ATOL.

I states that if all or part of the booking was paid by mean other than credit card I was eligible to claim under ATOL.

Before I fill it in, giving a lot of information including bank details, is this legit? They have my booking reference but a bit hesitant as can't find anything online confirming this is real.

Hoping it is as the alternative is speaking to my credit card company, which i was going to be doing today, having booked the deposit on my cc.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 12,875 Posts
    • 17,040 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I'll always pay by PayPal in future. For some unknown reason I clicked pay with them.
    Originally posted by goforgold58
    If I have read other posts correctly, there is a six month limit with Paypal.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

2,330Users online

Martin's Twitter