Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,207Posts
    • 153,056Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 16
    • Wayne h
    • By Wayne h 6th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wayne h
    Tried by phone today recorded set of answers eventually found the transaction but said it was for £0 when my account clearly states otherwise
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 6th Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Tried by phone today recorded set of answers eventually found the transaction but said it was for £0 when my account clearly states otherwise
    Originally posted by Wayne h
    Statement on Paypal website:

"Monarch flight and holiday cancellations

Monarch has ceased trading and gone into administration. With immediate effect, all future flights and holidays provided by them have been cancelled and are no longer operating. If you are directly impacted by this please see https://monarch.caa.co.uk

If you are currently on holiday in another country, the Civil Aviation Authority will fly you home and Monarch's website provides details on how to arrange this.

If you booked a holiday package and have not yet travelled, you will be covered by the Air Travel Organisers Licence (ATOL) and can file a claim with ATOL.

If you booked a “flight only” prior to Dec 14th 2016, please check their website to determine if your flight is ATOL protected. Click here to do so.

If you are a customer who booked a “flight only” after Dec 14th 2016, you will NOT be covered by ATOL and can file a PayPal buyer protection claim through our normal processes. Click here to begin that claim."

What I can gather form this is they are likely talking to the administrator to ascertain their liability and make sure funds are available to make refunds, but it does seem odd to have zeroed the transaction when their instructions clearly say to make a claim.

Here is a tip form the Paypal forum:

" I recently found out how to Bypass PayPals Annoying automated customer service call. If you call their customer server number, Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Call Us", usually it will walk you through and give you an automated response pulled from a database. If you want to bypass this when it asks you to describe what your problem is, Simply say 'Agent'. Then it will connect you to a REAL person. They are much more helpful then the automated service. It took me hours to find out how to do this so I decided to share it. Hope I helped someone out."

If you can screenshot your account and have the same on your bank account or card account make sure you have all the evidence in case something funny has happened. If you were within 180 days on the date Monarch went under I doubt they can get out of paying your refund unless they can't secure funds from the administrator.

Try to be patient, nothing happens quickly in these situations, but when Paypal get going personal experience say they refund all valid cases quickly and efficiently, far more so than a lot of the card providers.

It may feel horrid at the moment, but hang in there and keep posting information as you obtain it (to here and Facebook if you have it) as you are probably not alone.
    Last edited by N4t4lie; 07-10-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    • LOUDARRELL
    • By LOUDARRELL 7th Oct 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LOUDARRELL
    monarch flight
    I have flights booked and am trying to get proof of dates for my credit card. They are on my monarch account and I can not log into to get proof. Is there anyway I can get this as only have a booking reference. I have barclaycard visa receipt but no proof of dates f flights
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 13,254 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I have flights booked and am trying to get proof of dates for my credit card. They are on my monarch account and I can not log into to get proof. Is there anyway I can get this as only have a booking reference. I have barclaycard visa receipt but no proof of dates f flights
    Originally posted by LOUDARRELL
    Didn't Monarch send you an itinerary by email?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Follie
    • By Follie 7th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Follie
    Has anyone claimed for consequential loss via Chargeback?
    Visa debit have agreed to refund my flights via Chargeback as they are not covered by ATOL but they seemed totally unable to answer the question about whether I could claim for an alternative more expensive flight or a refund for my accommodation, outward journey (booked with easyjet) and transfers. I really need to know one way or another because I have a decision to make about whether to cancel or book another flight. I have airline failure cover with insureandgo who say they will cover a return flight but subject to an excess of £150 per person. I thought it was per claim but they are adamant. Any advice very welcome!
    • Follie
    • By Follie 7th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Follie
    Visa debit have agreed to refund my flights via Chargeback as they are not covered by ATOL but they seemed totally unable to answer the question about whether I could claim for an alternative more expensive flight or a refund for my accommodation, outward journey (booked with easyjet) and transfers. I really need to know one way or another because I have a decision to make about whether to cancel or book another flight. I have airline failure cover with insureandgo who say they will cover a return flight but subject to an excess of £150 per person. I thought it was per claim but they are adamant. Any advice very welcome!
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Originally posted by Follie
    will your refund not cover the excess?
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 7th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Chargeback does not cover consequential losses. It is just a reverse of the original charge.

Your choice is to claim on travel insurance and lose the excess. Or book alternative flights home and swallow the extra cost.
    • Follie
    • By Follie 7th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Follie
    Thanks. Do you know anywhere this is set out? All I can find is lists of ways in which chargeback and s75 differ and this wasn't mentioned.

The refund would cover the excess but I don't think I can claim under both.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 7th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Thanks. Do you know anywhere this is set out? All I can find is lists of ways in which chargeback and s75 differ and this wasn't mentioned.

Originally posted by Follie
    Go onto the main MSE site, there are some very good guides to Chargeback, Section 75 and your consumer rights to a refund. As everyone's case is different you have to apply the rules to your own situation as best you can.

You are correct that only Section 75 has cover for other loses associated with the transaction, but if you used the credit card to book an hotel they may argue that it is still available. Also a lot of Monarch flights are under £100 per person and so Section 75 does not cover. And if you didn't book direct with Monarch they would argue you paid an intermediary so Section 75 also would not cover you as there needs to be a direct link between you and the supplier.

I am wondering if this is why a few card providers are sending people down the chargeback route as just refunding a payment is far easier.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 7th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96

by Follie
    If you haven’t already seen it, MSE explains it a bit more in their guide Visa, Mastercard & Amex chargeback

Basically, Section 75 is law, part of the Consumer Credit Act which all credit card providers must abide by. It does therefore only apply to credit cards.

Chargebacks are a procedure that Visa, Mastercard and Amex do, but basically voluntary, there’s no laws governering it. Chargeback just reverses the charge, they have no liability for consequential losses.

You could claim your chargeback and then claim on your travel insurance for the rest of the trip. You’d obviously have to declare you’ve received the chargeback for your Monarch booking, which the insurer wouldn’t pay. So you’re still going to lose your excess.

Your alternative is to still go on holiday and get other return flights. I suspect these are far more expensive? When do you travel?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 7th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Originally posted by LOUDARRELL
    When Low Cost went under the administrators reopened part of the old web page so people could print of their documents.

Anyone at MSE able to get in touch with KPMG to see if they are able to do this for people who have no copies of their documents?
    • james_lawless
    • By james_lawless 7th Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    james_lawless
    I'd booked an outbound flight to Zagreb, an inbound flight from Dubrovnik and checked luggage via a combination of debit card and PayPal payments. I've filed a chargeback request via my bank (Co-operative) and dispute processes with Paypal. Last night I received a refund of one Paypal payment so I'm optimistic that I'll receive the other. As for chargeback, I'm not sure how well that will go, I guess time will tell.

As for any additional expenditure, it's costing me the best part of £400 for new flights with BA and I've got the frustrating logistical problem of flying out from Heathrow and back to Gatwick. I know none of this will be covered by my travel insurance which is more than a little annoying!
    • Follie
    • By Follie 7th Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Follie
    Thanks @bagand96 - I had read that guide but it didn't specifically cover the question of whether consequential loss might be covered. I get that it's not law that they have to provide this protection, but since they offer it, isn't it part of the contract with Visa if you've made your transaction using visa in reliance on it? I think there are Chargeback Scheme Rules that cover it if your bank participates, but I can't find them - or at least I found a 1000 page document that might be them but I haven't read it all.

I fear you are right about my options though - but without being sure it's hard to decide what's best. Booking an alternative flight home is cheaper than cancelling and booking a new holiday, but is obviously extra money to shell out (£140 x 4 for for the excess), whereas if I cancelled and stayed at home I'd get some money back but no holiday. I think if I was 100% confident that insureandgo would pay the difference I'd swallow the excess and book new flights but they're over £1000 for four of us now and I can't really afford to gamble. I''m worried if I wait too long they will sell out altogether though.
    • Follie
    • By Follie 7th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Follie
    PS we fly out on 22 Oct, returning 30 Oct, from Croatia.
    • Davidnotmark
    • By Davidnotmark 7th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Davidnotmark
    Any update from lastminute.com? I received an email early last week saying I'd have to write directly to kpmg if I wanted a refund, but then through facebook chat on Thursday they said their FAQ's had been updated where it stated that they would try and seek to get a refund for all customers within 60 days - does this apply for ALL customers? They always seem engaged when I call now and have even stopped responding to facebook chat
    • Guineapoi8
    • By Guineapoi8 7th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Guineapoi8
    Problems claiming Monarch money back via Paypal
    Has anyone had any success claiming from PayPal? I paid for flights via PayPal in March, and although PayPal has posted some advice, it won't let me open a dispute as it's been more than 180 days since booking. MSE says this deadline has been waived, but this doesn't seem to have taken effect. My bank won't protect me as they say I have paid PayPal, not Monarch and chargeback isn't applicable as payment came from my bank account rather than my debit or credit card. Frustrating
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 7th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Thanks @bagand96 - I had read that guide but it didn't specifically cover the question of whether consequential loss might be covered. I get that it's not law that they have to provide this protection, but since they offer it, isn't it part of the contract with Visa if you've made your transaction using visa in reliance on it? I think there are Chargeback Scheme Rules that cover it if your bank participates, but I can't find them - or at least I found a 1000 page document that might be them but I haven't read it all.
    by Follie
    There isn't any consequential loss cover through Chargeback. It is something banks issuing Visa/Mastercard/Amex have to sign up to as part of the agreement, but it is only reversing a charge. There's no consequential loss.

As you say, speak to insureandgo and clarify exactly what they will and won't pay for - or look in the Policy Wording.

Has anyone had any success claiming from PayPal? I paid for flights via PayPal in March, and although PayPal has posted some advice, it won't let me open a dispute as it's been more than 180 days since booking. MSE says this deadline has been waived, but this doesn't seem to have taken effect. My bank won't protect me as they say I have paid PayPal, not Monarch and chargeback isn't applicable as payment came from my bank account rather than my debit or credit card. Frustrating
    by Guineapoi8
    Have you actually spoke to Paypal? Their website is automated so won't let you raise a claim after 180 days, so you need to speak to them. Apparently their phone lines are heavily automated - people have reported saying "Speak to an Agent" will get you through quicker.
    • utigers
    • By utigers 7th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    utigers
    Yes interesting regarding chargeback and consequential losses. I've got easyJet one way and monarch back but put a claim in for it all as it was one payment and I cannot now fulfill my trip. Last-minute cannot even tell me the cost of each flight anyway!

I've got £60pp excess on my insurance so chargeback will probably work out best.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 7th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    Yes interesting regarding chargeback and consequential losses. I've got easyJet one way and monarch back but put a claim in for it all as it was one payment and I cannot now fulfill my trip. Last-minute cannot even tell me the cost of each flight anyway!

I've got £60pp excess on my insurance so chargeback will probably work out best.
    If you’ve booked with LastMinute.com then neither a chargeback or Section 75 would be successful as it’s not LastMinute that are in administration. They are still trading. You need to get a refund or alternative arrangements from them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,062Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter