Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,087Posts
    • 151,761Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 14
    • Tulipflower
    • By Tulipflower 5th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tulipflower
    Payment by Paypal more than 180 days ago
    Just a note to those who made a payment to Monarch via Paypal more than 180 days ago - Paypal will not issue a refund .... sad!!. Finally got to speak to a real person at Paypal who said go to bank and request chargeback .... somehow not very optimistic about this ..... I am sure bank will be very quick to throw it back to Papal. Certainly learnt a huge amount because of all this .... will think twice about how to pay for items in future.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE OUT THERE XXXX AND BIG THANKS TO 'MONEY EXPERT' FOR YOUR SUPERB GUIDANCE XXXX
    • GGardner
    • By GGardner 5th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GGardner
    Yep, bank told me PayPal are responsible but PayPal won't look at it. Is that it? There's no other option now?! I thought I was protected using PayPal! Instead I'm now being penalised for actually paying for my tickets and not using credit!!
    • GGardner
    • By GGardner 5th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GGardner
    Sorry was an honest mistake posting my first post twice - I'm new here!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 5th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    The monarch situation highlights a need for a greater customer awareness of where ATOL cover is provided. The situation seems clear for package holidays but a significant number of customers book flight only with the airline. It seems some companies do provide ATOL others do not. So if you have a timeshare and book the flight via the timeshare company who use a non ATOL airline do you get ATOL cover. I have read the MSE paper which does not cover it or the CAA web site.
    The other big question is if you have travel insurance what does ATOL protection add.
    Why doesn't the regulatory authority insist that all flights must have ATOL which avoids tax payers having to fund the repatratriation.
    I am sure most MSE readers would appreciate an updated piece on travel so can be aware of the gaps in cover and choose approximately. Apologies for the long email but could not find a better way to ask the questions.
    Originally posted by Elliotm4

Hi

Our news story from July has more information on plans to extend Atol's protection next year:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/07/holidaymakers-booking-diy-package-breaks-could-be-given-more-protection

There's also more info in our Holiday Rights guide:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/holiday-rights
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 5th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Sorry was an honest mistake posting my first post twice - I'm new here!
    Originally posted by GGardner
    Welcome to the forum GGardner. Don't worry, we've all done it
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • GGardner
    • By GGardner 5th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GGardner
    Thank you ☺️

Do you think it's worth me escalating further with my bank or PayPal or am I out of options now?
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 5th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    MSE Callum
    So... we had outbound only flight with Monarch due for 21st Oct that I paid for through PayPal using my debit card/ bank account.

MSE advises to raise a dispute through PayPal's resolution centre as we should be covered by the buyer protection scheme with them.

However, my case was closed immediately by PayPal as it didn't meet their criteria - namely that you have 180 days to dispute a transaction. Do I have any other options of claiming my money back as MSE page doesn't mention this...???
    Hi GGardner, we are looking into alternatives at the moment. We hope to have something extra in the guide by the end of today, if possible.

Join the MSE Forum
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 5th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Hi Bradders1983 we normally fly with BA or Delta and they BA don't fly from Birmingham anymore
    Originally posted by Acemoneysaver17
    You usually fly BA to a destination Monarch covered?

Fair enough! Seems rather extravagant
    • marsman802
    • By marsman802 5th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    marsman802

Originally posted by bradders1983
    The safety video is more entertaining
    • Kebab69
    • By Kebab69 5th Oct 17, 1:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kebab69
    Credit voucher and credit card payment
    Hi we booked flights with a monarch credit voucher and paid £47.62 remainder on Tesco credit card. Does anyone know where we stand. Voucher was for a delayed flight.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 5th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Hi we booked flights with a monarch credit voucher and paid £47.62 remainder on Tesco credit card. Does anyone know where we stand. Voucher was for a delayed flight.
    Originally posted by Kebab69
    The Section 75 page on the MSE site says this:

"Vouchers are covered by Section 75, assuming you use a credit/store card, spend more than £100 AND buy the voucher directly from the supplier of the good/service, not from a third-party supplier."

But you havent bought the voucher, in essence its a credit note, so its not really clear at all.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 5th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Originally posted by Kebab69
    If the flights were more than £100 per person then you can claim using Section 75 for the full amount from Tesco.

If they are under £100 per person then you can get the £47.62 back from Tesco using chargeback.

Hope that helps.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 5th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Thank you ☺️

Do you think it's worth me escalating further with my bank or PayPal or am I out of options now?
    Sadly Paypal have a 180 cut off and stick to it religiously.

But their advice to go to your bank if you paid them using a card is correct and you can use the chargeback process to get your money back. It's those who did it using Paypal credit or a bank transfer outside of the 180 day limit that will not be able to get a refund.

I went through their user agreement with a toothcomb last year when Low Cost went under and would now only use Paypal for a holiday or concert tickets if he trip is within 180 days.

I learned about the chargeback option when it was unclear whether they would pay refunds to anyone, but after a week or two of them talking with the administrators all valid claims were paid so didn't need to go down that route.

Send your bank the standard letter on the main MSE web page with your supporting evidence; send it recorded delivery and keep a copy too.

Payment by chargeback can be quite fast, but do bear in mind there is a caveat that they can reclaim the money within 100 days of the refund if your chargeback is disputed (unlikely as it would be Monarch that needed to do this, but they no longer exist). This caused a lot of unhappiness as lots of people felt they couldn't use the money toward a new holiday until that 100 days had passed.

Hope that helps.
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 5th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    MSE Callum
    Thank you ☺️

Several banks have now told us you could initiate a Chargeback request with them as long as you're still within the timeframe (540 days from when you bought your ticket)

Join the MSE Forum
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 5th Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    The safety video is more entertaining
    Originally posted by marsman802
    Ever flown Air New Zealand? Have a look on You Tube if you want an entertaining safety video...
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 5th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Certainly learnt a huge amount because of all this .... will think twice about how to pay for items in future.
    Originally posted by Tulipflower

Or for travel related purchases take out the appropriate insurance cover.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 5th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Or for travel related purchases take out the appropriate insurance cover.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Personally I am surprised just how many ways you can reclaim your loss in such cases if you have put it on a debit or credit card especially (even via Paypal). We are told to look out for ATOL when booking packages, so why would you pay extra for something that should already be covered?

Trying to have the right insurance product when something like this happens is expensive. A lot of us have the travel insurance that comes with our current account and personal experience says you think you're covered, but aren't.

I'm not saying don't buy travel insurance, the medical cover can be invaluable, but remember just how many times in your life you have had a holiday cancelled due to insolvency verses the amount of successful holidays you've had with no glitches.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 36,087 Posts
    • 151,761 Thanks
    silvercar

Originally posted by bradders1983
    Extravagant! The likelihood of still being in business when you are due to fly was clearly greater!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 36,087 Posts
    • 151,761 Thanks
    silvercar
    Can anyone help, my parents live in Spain and booked their flights in Spain on a spanish Visa credit card but they have been told section 75 is not applicable there, is this correct?, if so does it look like they have lost their money?

any help appreciated
    Originally posted by Sandie11
    It may well be correct. Although Visa is fairly international the cards issued do have different T&Cs. I know of someone due to fly into the UK with Monarch who was told there was no chargeback available on his overseas issued Visa and the CAA won't fly him into the UK on a single flight as he is based overseas so doesn't qualify for repatriation.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 5th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    It may well be correct. Although Visa is fairly international the cards issued do have different T&Cs. I know of someone due to fly into the UK with Monarch who was told there was no chargeback available on his overseas issued Visa and the CAA won't fly him into the UK on a single flight as he is based overseas so doesn't qualify for repatriation.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    I'm pretty sure it is a worldwide policy applied by Visa and definitely by Visa Europe, plenty of info online about it. It may be worth getting a translation of the standard template letter done and sending it to the bank with supporting paperwork to avoid any confusion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin