Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,208Posts
    • 153,066Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 13
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 5th Oct 17, 8:58 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Natwest claim form completed!
    Now on hold to Vanquis as they have only just found out about this letter on the CAA site, I cant be the first person to have rung them about it since it went on the CAA website surely.
    • Chillimonster
    • By Chillimonster 5th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Chillimonster
    Following my call to LastMinute yesterday afternoon, I got a call back at 5PM to inform me that they cannot offer any other flights.

They offered a refund on just the flight part of the package if I had alternate flights (Which i have not) or a full refund, which I took.

They advised that the refund would be processed and in my card account withing 2-3 days.

So all sorted and new holiday booked - Week in Salou next week :-)
    LBM = 10/10/10
    Debt at 14/10/10 = £56936.28 --- 17/04/12 = £49673.01

You cannot eat an elephant in one mouthful, just take a bite at a time!
    • Elliotm4
    • By Elliotm4 5th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elliotm4
    The monarch situation highlights a need for a greater customer awareness of where ATOL cover is provided. The situation seems clear for package holidays but a significant number of customers book flight only with the airline. It seems some companies do provide ATOL others do not. So if you have a timeshare and book the flight via the timeshare company who use a non ATOL airline do you get ATOL cover. I have read the MSE paper which does not cover it or the CAA web site.
    The other big question is if you have travel insurance what does ATOL protection add.
    Why doesn't the regulatory authority insist that all flights must have ATOL which avoids tax payers having to fund the repatratriation.
    I am sure most MSE readers would appreciate an updated piece on travel so can be aware of the gaps in cover and choose approximately. Apologies for the long email but could not find a better way to ask the questions.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 5th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Natwest claim form completed!
    Now on hold to Vanquis as they have only just found out about this letter on the CAA site, I cant be the first person to have rung them about it since it went on the CAA website surely.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    Right I think its sorted with Vanquis as well. Also put in a S75 for the £114 extra legroom seats I booked with Monarch Holidays.

Email sent to them as well with proofs of deposit paid etc etc.

Shall wait to hear back!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 18,355 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    richardw
    .....tax payers having to fund the repatratriation....
    Originally posted by Elliotm4
    They aren't, it's the ATOL fund held by the CAA that pays out, passengers pay into the ATOL fund.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • nickp13
    • By nickp13 5th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nickp13
    Flights Re Arranged - Am I owed anything?
    Was due to fly with Monarch next Aug as part of package, which I am paying in installments (50% paid)
    Agent have rebooked us alternative flights "free of charge"
    Thing is the Monach flights totalled £915 and these new RyanAir flights total £686
    We were due to land at 11am with Monarch and dont land until 9pm with RyanAir so missing virtually a full day of our holiday also?
    Am I entitled to a refund of the difference?
    Any advise appreciated
    • Sandie11
    • By Sandie11 5th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Sandie11
    Booked flights in Spain, section 75 not applicable?
    Can anyone help, my parents live in Spain and booked their flights in Spain on a spanish Visa credit card but they have been told section 75 is not applicable there, is this correct?, if so does it look like they have lost their money?

any help appreciated
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 5th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Can anyone help, my parents live in Spain and booked their flights in Spain on a spanish Visa credit card but they have been told section 75 is not applicable there, is this correct?, if so does it look like they have lost their money?

any help appreciated
    Originally posted by Sandie11
    Surely they can still do a chargeback, its a Visa scheme and not a bank-specific one, they would need to speak to their card issuer.

Although good luck if their Spanish isnt great!
    Last edited by bradders1983; 05-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    • GGardner
    • By GGardner 5th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GGardner
    PayPay 180 day dispute rule
    So... we had outbound only flight with Monarch due for 21st Oct that I paid for through PayPal using my debit card/ bank account.

MSE advises to raise a dispute through PayPal's resolution centre as we should be covered by the buyer protection scheme with them.

However, my case was closed immediately by PayPal as it didn't meet their criteria - namely that you have 180 days to dispute a transaction. Do I have any other options of claiming my money back as MSE page doesn't mention this...???
    • marsman802
    • By marsman802 5th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    marsman802
    They aren't, it's the ATOL fund held by the CAA that pays out, passengers pay into the ATOL fund.
    Originally posted by richardw
    I'm not sure it is as clear as that. The repatriation isn't making a distinction between ATOL or not so those on flight only are still flying back without ATOL.

I know there were forms being handed out on landing by the CAA to passengers that clearly stated they asked them to be completed to allow them to reclaim taxpayers money.

I think the CAA made some exceptions to the process here given the scale of customers left in the lurch.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 5th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Originally posted by richardw
    The CAA are asking customers being repatriated for their credit card details "with an aim to reduce the burden on the UK taxpayers". They're also asking all those yet to travel who paid by credit card, to contact their card issuer.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 5th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I think the CAA made some exceptions to the process here given the scale of customers left in the lurch.
    Originally posted by marsman802
    Apparently the were instructed by the government to repatriate everyone, which is why the bill is going to be so high.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 5th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Any idea what the offensive Tweet was yesterday?

UK CAA‏ @UK_CAA 15h15 hours ago
    We apologise for any offence caused by our earlier tweet. Our focus remains on the flying programme and getting people home.

EDIT - turns out it was this: pbs.twimg.com/media/DLVEQ20WkAAGlyl.jpg

Dont see the issue, obviously emotions will be running high with the ex-Monarch employees who clearly got the hump over it judging by the conversation chain.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 05-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    • Sandie11
    • By Sandie11 5th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Sandie11
    Surely they can still do a chargeback, its a Visa scheme and not a bank-specific one, they would need to speak to their card issuer.

Although good luck if their Spanish isnt great!
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    Yes that is the problem they do not speak Spanish, but will advise them of the chargeback.
    Thanks for your help
    • Acemoneysaver17
    • By Acemoneysaver17 5th Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Acemoneysaver17
    Credit card pursuing Chargeback route
    Hi I phoned Tesco Customer Services this am and was initially told that they were not refunding package holidays , only flights. I disputed this and said that I had the negative response letter from the CAA Monarch site. I was quickly transferred to the Disputes Team and was asked to send the letter and invoice details and told that they would pursue a Chargeback claim against Monarch.

Wish we had never booked with Monarch, the only reason we chose them was because it flew from Birmingham which is only 20 minutes away, rather than flying from Gatwick.

Seems to be easier to get your money back if you book your flights separately!
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 5th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    If you book direct with any airline for a flight only, you will not have ATOL protection, indeed airlines were not permitted to hold such a licence. Under normal circumstances therefore any customer who did so would have to make their own arrangements to come home.

It is alleged that the Minister of Transport, made aware of the imminent collapse on the first day of the Conservative Party Conference, and fearing pictures of stranded passengers would overshadow the important messages coming from Manchester, ordered the CAA to look after everyone, whether protected or not and then try and make customers claim against the credit card issuers when they got home to try and recoup the cost. Unless they discussed the plans with the card issuers in advance, I can see them turning around and refusing to pay since the customer is not out of pocket if the CAA arranged the repatriation free of charge.

it is fair to say the majority of the travel industry is far from happy at these arrangements and will demand, as it has done for many years, a levy against all air tickets no matter how purchased, to fund repatriation and refunds in the future. The problem will be BA who simply say they refuse to pay for the failure of their competitors and they have a team of people with the ear of government.

Most travel insurance policies do not include airline failure insurance as part of the policy although if you book flights through travel agencies it is frequently offered at a nominal additional sum. Whether this failure will lead to a review of financial protection in the future remains to be seen, but if card issuers face huge losses as they did with Low Cost Holidays, they have made it clear they will either increase costs or simply stop giving the travel industry card facilities at all. How many people would be happy always using bank transfers to pay for travel in the future?
    • GGardner
    • By GGardner 5th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GGardner
    PayPay 180 day dispute rule
    So... we had outbound only flight with Monarch due for 21st Oct that I paid for through PayPal using my debit card/ bank account.

MSE advises to raise a dispute through PayPal's resolution centre as we should be covered by the buyer protection scheme with them.

However, my case was closed immediately by PayPal as it didn't meet their criteria - namely that you have 180 days to dispute a transaction. Do I have any other options of claiming my money back as MSE page doesn't mention this...???
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 5th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

Originally posted by Acemoneysaver17
    No, it's because flight only booked direct with the airline aren't Atol protected (except a few which were booked last year) and wouldn't normally be entitled to a freebie flight home. The credit card issuers are familiar with that and would initiate a chargeback straight away.

Normally for a package the refund would could from the CAA. A chargeback wouldn't be done. Because of the high cost of this repatriation the CAA are asking those who paid by credit card to go via the chargeback system which is why you need the letter from the CAA.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 5th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Hi I phoned Tesco Customer Services this am and was initially told that they were not refunding package holidays , only flights. I disputed this and said that I had the negative response letter from the CAA Monarch site. I was quickly transferred to the Disputes Team and was asked to send the letter and invoice details and told that they would pursue a Chargeback claim against Monarch.

Wish we had never booked with Monarch, the only reason we chose them was because it flew from Birmingham which is only 20 minutes away, rather than flying from Gatwick.

Originally posted by Acemoneysaver17
    Not really anything to do with this, but just a general point of interest - if you only live 20 mins from Birmingham, why on earth would Gatwick be your default airport of choice? Its not even the right side of London for you surely?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 31,945 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa

Originally posted by GGardner

please don't repeat post the same question in the thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73219221#post73219221

please wait for an answer
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,096Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin