Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,057Posts
    • 151,648Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 10
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Oct 17, 3:47 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Yes, here you go:

monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

Holidays booked directly with Monarch Holidays

Customers booked directly with Monarch Holidays are ATOL protected and will have received an ATOL Certificate when they made their booking.

If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund.
    And as said, both of my credit cards have said to do it via ATOL as its what their Disputes team have told them the correct procedure is!

There is also this:

moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/10/monarch-customers-to-be-sent-atol-claim-forms-by-wednesday?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The directing of ATOL-protected Monarch Holiday customers to claim via their credit card, is part of a long-standing agreement between the CAA and the credit card providers.
    So does this now mean if I put an ATOL claim in, it will be rejected, even though both my credit card companies arent interested?
    Last edited by bradders1983; 04-10-2017 at 3:49 PM.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 4th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    The quote in my last post was straight from the monarch.caa.co.uk website, I cant link it as Im a new member. Its ridiculous.

Thankfully I have booked another holiday already although that is sat on a credit card awaiting the ATOL refund!
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    I am beginning to wonder if there isn't enough money to cover the repatriation flights and all the claims?

Get it in writing that ATOL are not paying out for your holiday and then go to the credit card. They don't use Section 75 and chargebacks lightly so it needs to be last resort and you'll need to prove that. When Low Cost went down they tried all sorts of stuff to avoid paying refunds. In the end they had to, but it took a few weeks as if they have a big liability they will be talking to the administrators. In the mean time they don't tell the front line staff anything so everyone gets a different answer. It'll all settle down in a week or two believe me.

Glad you've sorted another holiday, be patient with the refund, but it sounds like you will get one.
    • TrevorandPat
    • By TrevorandPat 4th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TrevorandPat
    Does Section 75 apply to a Portuguese Visa Card?
    We live in Portugal and so my Monarch flights were paid for using a Portuguese Visa credit card.

Does Section 75 only apply in the UK, or is there some equivalent EU legislation?

Regards Trevor
    • tierneyky
    • By tierneyky 4th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tierneyky
    selected seats
    I booked 'selected seats' 10 days after my original package holiday booking (both direct with Monarch) - will this extra cost also be refunded via the ATOL claim?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I booked 'selected seats' 10 days after my original package holiday booking (both direct with Monarch) - will this extra cost also be refunded via the ATOL claim?
    Originally posted by tierneyky
    You would have received another Atol certificate attached to your confirmation for your seats. That will tell you the overall cost that is protected.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    We live in Portugal and so my Monarch flights were paid for using a Portuguese Visa credit card.

Does Section 75 only apply in the UK, or is there some equivalent EU legislation?

Regards Trevor
    Originally posted by TrevorandPat
    You need to check with your card provider or Google for Portugese legislation.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 4th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 36,057 Posts
    • 151,648 Thanks
    silvercar
    In answer to some queries:

The CAA is repatriating people back to the UK. It does not offer residents of other countries the right to be repatriated back to their home country, so it won't be offering flights out of the UK to take people overseas.

'Section 75' claims refer to Section 75 of the consumer credit act, again UK only. So don't expect foreign issued credit cards to even know what a section 75 claim means.

'Chargeback' is another UK concept, other countries may or may not have similar schemes; but you can't rely on this.
    • JT Halifax
    • By JT Halifax 4th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JT Halifax
    I have a package Holiday booked for end of October to Lanzarote with Monarch. I specifically used a credit card to book and pay but my issuer (Sainsbury's Bank) has pinged me back to ATOL/CAA to pursue claim with them. Surely being ATOL protected I shouldn't have to go to credit card company in the first place, but the virtual ping pong is stressful at an otherwise already stressful time. Seems like the CAA are trying to spread the impact to other organisations as it digs itself out of this huge hole caused by monarchs collapse.
    I can't speak to CAA until 14th October and all claim forms to affected customers debit card PayPal and any other payments other than credit cards will have theirs. Why should i feel penalised for using Credit Card?
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 4th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    Tesco Credit Card - Monarch Reclaim Query
    I made a flight-only booking with Monarch and paid by Tesco Credit Card as the transaction was over £100, I phoned Tesco Bank where there was a pre-recorded message advising that anyone wishing to make a claim should send an email to disputes@tescobank.com attaching a copy of the invoice and booking details. My case will then be considered for a 'Chargeback'. However, I do not want to make a 'Chargeback' claim! I want to make a 'Section 75' claim.

I plan to send an email and just make it clear that i want my claim considered under Section 75 and if they are not willing to do this then to send me a 'letter of deadlock' and I will take my case to the FOS.

Am I missing something? Can anyone see any problem with this approach?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 4th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie

Regards Trevor
    Originally posted by TrevorandPat
    I think it is the UK Consumer Credit act that has Section 75 cover, no idea if there is an equivalent in Portugal.

However, chargeback is a Visa (and Mastercard) policy and applies to all cards using the logo so raising a chargeback should work. There is good article on teh main site and a letter template which you should send to the bank with copies of receipts, although you'd have to translate it into Portuguese.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Tesco Credit card ask you to contact ATOL- But HOW?

Hi we have a package booked with Monarch Holidays paid using our Tesco Credit card . Tesco have asked me to contact ATOL and get a response from them but the ATOL website categorically says that you have to contact TESCO.

Seems I am going round and round in circles.

Should I just fill in the Section 75 claim letter and try this approach.

I am £1500 out of pocket - AND NO HOLIDAY TO LOOK FORWARD TO!

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice appreciated !

Thank you
    Originally posted by Acemoneysaver17
    Deleted.....
    Last edited by leylandsunaddict; 04-10-2017 at 4:53 PM.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I have a package Holiday booked for end of October to Lanzarote with Monarch. I specifically used a credit card to book and pay but my issuer (Sainsbury's Bank) has pinged me back to ATOL/CAA to pursue claim with them. Surely being ATOL protected I shouldn't have to go to credit card company in the first place, but the virtual ping pong is stressful at an otherwise already stressful time. Seems like the CAA are trying to spread the impact to other organisations as it digs itself out of this huge hole caused by monarchs collapse.
    I can't speak to CAA until 14th October and all claim forms to affected customers debit card PayPal and any other payments other than credit cards will have theirs. Why should i feel penalised for using Credit Card?
    Originally posted by JT Halifax
    Deleted........
    Last edited by leylandsunaddict; 04-10-2017 at 4:53 PM.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 4th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    I made a flight-only booking with Monarch and paid by Tesco Credit Card as the transaction was over £100, I phoned Tesco Bank where there was a pre-recorded message advising that anyone wishing to make a claim should send an email to disputes@tescobank.com attaching a copy of the invoice and booking details. My case will then be considered for a 'Chargeback'. However, I do not want to make a 'Chargeback' claim! I want to make a 'Section 75' claim.

I plan to send an email and just make it clear that i want my claim considered under Section 75 and if they are not willing to do this then to send me a 'letter of deadlock' and I will take my case to the FOS.

Am I missing something? Can anyone see any problem with this approach?
    Originally posted by organic wanabe
    It may be a company policy to only issue chargebacks. I'd send what they ask and also ask why they are not doing it under Section 75. Be careful though as if it was over £100 for one flight you can use S75, if you booked two flights for £100 it's not covered. That said is a bag a separate item?!

They were one of the better ones when Low Cost went down so maybe they have learned that a chargeback is quicker and easier for them than a S75.

Either one has the same effect of getting your money back.

Read Martin's pages carefully and decide which is best for you. Use the Section 75 standard letter template and email to Tesco, see what they say maybe?
    • greeniech
    • By greeniech 4th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    greeniech
    I booked flights direct with Monarch using Paypal in January for flights at the end of October.
    On Monday I too had the same experience with the auto response on the phone and the resolution not showing up on my account despite me filling in all the forms etc.

Yesterday I rang again and at the prompt of please say your resolution ref number. I chose " I do not have one". To my surprise I was told to hold on and I`ll be connected to an advisor. Whoopeee!!

A very helpful lady took details then passed me on to another who told me the following:-
    We will contact Monarch if we have not had a reply by 13th October Paypal will refund you in full on the 14th October.
    Wow ! That`ll do for me.

She told me to check the progress on my account after approx. 2 hours.

Later in the day I did just that , logged in and low and behold there sat in my account was the full refund from Monarch.
    I was so surprised I quickly transferred it into my bank account just in case they changed their minds.

So from a phone call at 1030ish yesterday to 1530ish the same day the refund was sat happily in my bank. No mention of my purchase being over the 180 days.
    So pick up the phone and try again.
    I`m really impressed the way they dealt with me.
    Good luck everyone.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I know that I am supposed to claim through Atol, but what is to stop me from submitting claims to both? I also called my insurance who said that I had grounds to make a claim?!
    Originally posted by titusbungle
    Are you being serious. Your insurance won't pay out if you can redeem the money from elsewhere (and its fraudulent to double dip anyway )and your credit card issuer won't pay when you're Atol protected.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 4th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    If it isn't and you paid on a card use chargeback to get a refund (assuming it's over £10).
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 4th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    we paid exactly £100.00 for each of two return flights. Are we covered under Section 75?
    Originally posted by RupertBearo
    I think they will call it two flights at £50 each so won't cover under Section 75, but chargeback will, so apply for that instead. Template letter on the main site.
    • neenaww
    • By neenaww 4th Oct 17, 5:10 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    neenaww
    Me again. Having been back on to the agents we booked with. No alternative flights and no other suitable alternatives we have accepted the offer of a full refund, ATOL protected booking (verbally via phone calls) and told it could be up to 6 weeks.

Should I also get some written confirmation or forms etc I need to fill in?

getting married to my best friend very soon!

I am a married woman
    • RupertBearo
    • By RupertBearo 4th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RupertBearo
    No, I paid £200.00 for two return flights. I want to know what the Section 75 threshold is. Is £100.00 covered, or does it have to be £100.01?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Probably not, I did exactly the same and the card payment came out as "MONARCH AIRLINES" so it won't be covered. Have put in a claim with the credit card for this though and they seemed to have no issue when I told them it was for extras that were not ATOL protected.

Are you being serious. Your insurance won't pay out if you can redeem the money from elsewhere (and its fraudulent to double dip anyway )and your credit card issuer won't pay when you're Atol protected.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    But ATOL are claiming go to your card issuer instead as you can see from the last page or so, at the moment we have a ridiculous game of pass the buck being played out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,488Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin