Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • henry24
    • By henry24 2nd Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 76Posts
    • 34Thanks
    henry24
    0 WOW
    India again
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    0 WOW
    India again 2nd Oct 17 at 8:54 AM
    Going in 5 weeks but the wife is now worried how she should be dressed, is she allowed shorts, bare arms, should she cover her head. What advice can you give her?
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 2nd Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 11,439 Posts
    • 7,714 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 18,576 Posts
    • 47,823 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    Going in 5 weeks but the wife is now worried how she should be dressed, is she allowed shorts, bare arms, should she cover her head. What advice can you give her?
    Originally posted by henry24
    India is a big country.
    Which part are you travelling to?

Goa is pretty laid back, lots of people wear shorts.
    I used to wear sleeveless dresses.
    I've seen one woman in a bikini top and micro shorts in a shop in Panjim.
    That is bad dress sense imho.
    • travelgran
    • By travelgran 2nd Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    travelgran
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    Don't know where in India you're going but if you want to feel comfortable dress reasonably conservatively. Shorts are not town wear. No need for your wife to cover her head except perhaps at some temples. If temple visiting you should be barefoot although some will allow socks. Dress or skirts preferably knee length or below. Sleeves preferred but can be short. It's more comfortable to cover up a bit for the sun anyway. Trousers for women also fine.
    Most of the guide books eg Lonely Planet etc give advice or you could ask on the Trip Advisor forum.
    Have a good time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,209Posts Today

5,597Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin