Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kerrypn
    • By kerrypn 2nd Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,181Posts
    • 1,993Thanks
    kerrypn
    Recipes with pork stock
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    Recipes with pork stock 2nd Oct 17 at 8:19 AM
    Good morning lovely OSers

I cooked pork belly yesterday in Apple and I've got a jug of rich looking stock. I've skimmed the white fat off it this morning. Has anyone got any recipe ideas to use it for please? (I've never used pork stock before)

There is probably going to be some apple flavour to it still. I've got most cupboard staples and variety of veg herbs and spices.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 2nd Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 3,494 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    I've never made pork stock, but I would imagine it would work very well as a basis for something like lentil soup. Or what about parsnip and apple soup - you're half way there!! And of course gravy. You could use it instead of plain water next time you make a pork casserole - or maybe a French cassoulet as that has sausage in it so should work well.

You can freeze stock, so no need to use it straight away just for the sake of it. Portion it up so you're only defrosting what you need.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 23,346 Posts
    • 90,704 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    Yellow split pea soup.

Pease pudding.

Lentil soup.

Any Chinese style broth (add pork meatballs, corn, noodles, rice wine, a bit of sugar, soy, chilli, spring onion, frozen peas, etc).

Celery, garlic, onion, carrot softened in the pan, add stock, a bay leaf and a drained tin of butter/cannelini beans, heat through, remove bayleaf and blitz.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 2nd Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2,087 Posts
    • 6,948 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    I made lentil and carrot soup with gammon stock yesterday-nice and warming
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

3,459Users online

Martin's Twitter