Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wannalot
    • By wannalot 2nd Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 123Posts
    • 1,015Thanks
    wannalot
    New Baby Present
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    New Baby Present 2nd Oct 17 at 8:08 AM
    Hi all

I'm looking for some advice!

A friend of mine had a baby two months ago, who I am meeting for the first time this week! I know that my friend is a little short of money, and will not be working for the foreseeable future and I'd like to get her a baby present which will be useful. I've got around £30 to spend on it.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could get her? I thought about making up a wee box of baby supplies, but I really have no idea what they could be (i'm a child-free singleton!). Any suggestions will be gratefully received!
    July GC: £76.28/£75
    Aims for 2017:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    3. Declutter, declutter and declutter some more!
    4. Lose weight!
Page 1
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 2nd Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 23,090 Posts
    • 59,784 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    That sounds good. It'll save her money and time.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 2nd Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    Maybe some nappies? They are told in hospital not to use baby products i.e wipes,powder,lotions etc.....water wipes are ok .
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 2nd Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 6,100 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    You can buy packs for new Mums from places like Boots so why not check online to see what they contain ? That would give you ideas and then you could make up a pack to suit your friend.

Clothes are always welcome but buy the larger sizes. DD1 had loads of first size stuff when DGS was born. Or you could get things like plates and feeder cups that she will be able to use once the baby starts on solids.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 24,156 Posts
    • 50,781 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    What a lovely gesture!

Nappies, wipes, nappy sacs, cotton wool, muslin cloths, a changing mat, a moses basket (often to be had in chazzers although understandably people can be picky about wanting to use such items for their newborns), baby bath and moisturiser, a special soft towel for baby, some baby grows...the list is endless! And slip sonething in for Mum as well.

And most of all...keep being a good friend
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 2nd Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    could you give her vouchers then she can get what she needs? (am thinking something like asda gift card or similar) it would be great for her when she runs out of cash (and baby food or nappies etc), it would be a great back up if she was short
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 2nd Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 34,133 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    I would be tempted to buy some M&S Meal for £10 vouchers for them, so Mum and Dad can have a little treat, from what I can remember most people bought gifts for the baby rather than Mum, so a night off cooking might be appreciated.

Lovely thought whatever you choose x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 2nd Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    I'd also go for vouchers. If baby is 2 months old, she probably has everything she needs already, at least for now, so you risk doubling up if you go for baby essentials. Maybe get a nice book (Julia Donaldson board book, something like that) and then slip the voucher inside. Something nice for mum is also a good idea, even if just a bar of chocolate!

Vouchers for somewhere like Mothercare would be useful but the supermarkets do most of the same stuff, often for less, so ones for her nearest/usual supermarket might help more even if it doesn't look as 'baby-friendly'.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 2nd Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,264 Posts
    • 6,845 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    Take a home made meal, one to eat and one for the freezer.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 2nd Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Do you know what your friend already has? No point in duplicating after all.

Larger size baby clothes - they don't stay little for long and soon grow out of newborn sizes!

I like the idea of a gift voucher so mum can spend as/when she wants on what she needs.

A treat for mum (eg a couple of magazines) as I'm sure all her money will go on the new arrival.

I know you said you're a child-free singleton but if you're brave enough you could go for an IOU of an evening's baby-sitting! If not, then make sure you stay in touch regularly - being a new mum can be very isolating after being a working girl.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 24,156 Posts
    • 50,781 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Take a home made meal, one to eat and one for the freezer.
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Double check her freezer situation first. I don't know many people that leave much space in theirs!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

1,881Users online

Martin's Twitter