Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,223Posts
    • 8,865Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October? 2nd Oct 17 at 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2 October
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
Page 6
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Everyone sounds so active and I have been doing basically nothing but resting up.
    Have been catching up on some messages today.
    Plan to give the kitchen a tidy and the floor a mop-it desperately needs it.
    Got my Christmas vouchers yesterday, really does feel like Christmas is on its way. I'm really chuffed that through good budgeting I never missed the money to pay for the vouchers throughout the year. The love to shop vouchers I will keep for the sales or if I need anything.
    Also got some M&S ones-a treat for DD and myself, we're going on a shop next weekend when she is home.
    I will also get a couple of their boxes of biscuits that are half price at the minute ready for birthdays after Christmas and handy to have in as thank you presents.
    Still need to update my spends book
    Heating was on but not a lot yesterday but off today as it is quite mild out-washing to go out.
    That's about it from me, have a great Sunday everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Oct 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Everyone sounds so active and I have been doing basically nothing but resting up.
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties

This is the number 1 priority! I made myself really ill by not resting up.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Awww thanks CLF I really am my own worst enemy sometimes, I get fidgety and guilty that I'm doing nothing but forget that I'm doing good for my body.
    Have been good the last couple of days, no choice my body just refused to do anything else!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Awww thanks CLF I really am my own worst enemy sometimes, I get fidgety and guilty that I'm doing nothing but forget that I'm doing good for my body.
    Have been good the last couple of days, no choice my body just refused to do anything else!
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties

That's me exactly. I've learnt a lot about myself this year. Frustratingly I mostly discovered that I'm not superwoman, and that I can't do everything
    On the plus side, I have also discovered that I want to concentrate on things other than work for a while and so I have rearranged my hours to give me 3 days off. I'm hoping this will bring some balance back.
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 08-10-2017 at 2:44 PM.

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Sunday Savers,
    Here are today's little bits & pieces....nothing very exciting or innovative but posting keeps me on the 'right page' with my finances:
    *Treated ourselves to bacon sarnies & coffee at village farm shop but we paid using our personal spends so no impact on the budget.
    *Updated grocery budget.
    *Checked online banking to see if a cheque had arrived. It had, so paid the money straight across to CC, which I used to maximise points for vouchers.
    *Unpacked the presents box (properly this time!) & made a thorough list of gifts already bought for people. Then made a list of gifts I still need to buy. Most of these will be quite small & inexpensive. Some of them (for nephews) may well be on a '3 for £10' offer & I am also re-gifting 2 items which are in excellent condition. Checked last year's Christmas card list. We need a further 20 cards.....I know lots of people would say don't bother, send e-cards, but they just don't do it for me. I LOVE the plop on the doormat of cards & real post arriving & hanging my cards up on festive strings. Each to their own, I guess!
    *Did all available Toluna quick clicks which added over 4000 points to my total. Have decided to carry on earning another 95,000 points & then to cash out via Paypal, so as to be able to pay it straight into a savings account.
    *Knitting for my sales basket. Currently a pair of magenta-pink socks with a lace panel up the sides. I may decide to keep them myself, though admit that's not really the spirit of private enterprise. Have found a pattern for a nice warm slouchy pair which I might knit for myself next as I think they would look good over black tights with my DMs.........Oh my days, I love yarn.......
    *Usual bits of energy saving today - no heating on yet, two baths from one lot of hot water, etc.
    *mr f's cooking night. He's making lamb & marrow bake (to use up one of our enormous courgettes) which is lovely. He's deliberately making enough for 2 days so we can have a ready made meal for another day this week.
    I think that's it.....Oh apart from being thrifty with some shirts mr f was about to bin (he's been decluttering)......I snipped off the buttons to add to my button jar as they are a useful size & neutral colour. Also noticed he has started a charity shop pile & a pile which look like it may (hopefully) be destined foe ebay or Ziffit.
    OK, a few little jobs to do now to set me up for the week ahead. Wishing you all a nice calm Sunday night......unless you are in wild party mode, in which case, go for it, that's what I say!
    Bye,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £289
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 12,666 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Managed to finish the neck on my jumper last night, just need some grey thread to sew the buttons on and also a large eyed needle to finish the ends. I cast on (375) stitches for my new project. Actually just realised when doing this that I only did 325 for some reason. I have only knitted about 20 stitches of the first row as the wool is so fine and I cast on using the thumb method, as per instructions, that it’s very slow progress. Will be better after row 1 when it’s a little looser. So I think I’ll frog it and start again. Have lots of opportunity to knit on Sunday and Monday nights so hoping I can get a couple of rows done to get me on my way. The wool is lovely, so pretty.

Other things:

Meals from stores
    Washing out
    Changed a bed and wash
    Update calendar for things over the next few months
    See if I can sort spare room
    Wrap and post 7 things that sold on fleabay last night
    See if I can find anything else I can to list
    Some sort of exercise, probably just a very brisk walk as my foot is still sore
    Get ready for week, make lunches etc...
    Complain to mr w. The staff who are in there are normally lovely but yesterday a totally numpty served me, he managed to put two sets of groceries together that I’d separated (and asked to be rung through sperately) and he lost my w card in the process - his answer - I Can’t see it! No apology, no it must be here somewhere etc... when I asked (knowing the answer, but thought he may want to redeem himself) how I get a new one, he just said. I’d have to call up and organise would have stayed to make my point but had small children and it was busy. I know it’s not a big thing, but just something else to add to my to do list and given it took 12 weeks and 4 phonecalls for my other one to arrive, I’m not hopeful. Obviously no free coffee in the meantime either
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Productive so far, 4 loads of washing outside. About 3 already dry. Will leave the rest another hour and then put on the airer which for the first time in 3 years can now fit in our spare room which means I can shut the door on it and not have it on the hallway or in our lounge/diner. Small things make me happy

Made a garlic dough ring to go with hm lasagne for tea. Made double lasagne so will freeze one ready for a family tea another night. Weighed and portioned 6 more portions of steak mince from wholesaler

Brisk walk round local woods this afternoon. Took hm quiche and cake so we weren’t tempted to spend lots on new cafe they’ve just located there. Used new plastic boxes, appreciate they’re still plastic but trying to miniseries amount of plastic bags we use.

Moved a piece of furniture around upstairs that freed up some space. Will have some more when fleabayer comes tomorrow to collect 2 items.

Made a crumble using some frozen apples and pears. Got some milk out of freezer which avoided trip to shops. Only just started doing this. So worthwhile, probably £10saved on stuff we’d eat but Just Don’t need

Right off to bath the smalls, tea and then knitting
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 8th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Sounds like everyone is doing well.
    HK, sorry to hear about the car though!

We went to the Harry Potter studio tour with the kids & my niece yesterday (we'd bought them all a ticket as part of their birthday pressies) We had a lovely day, although 7hrs in the car yesterday has left me with a very sore back today Mse wise we took drinks and food with us, although we had planned on having one meal out we changed our minds and as we had taken plenty of food with us for both journeys.

Todays list - we have decided to have a day at home as we are all shattered so will add to the list as the day unfolds I think!
    * Ys bread from the freezer for toast
    * Showered and continue use up of lotions and potions, I'm still using up a face wash & a moisturizer that dh had stopped using.
    * Movie afternoon planned to watch a the freebie Spider-Man film that we gave to ds for his birthday watched the Mask of Zorro instead as our N0w tv movie sub is finishing today so we watched that and will save the dvd for next weekend
    * Take quiche and bacon out of the freezer for meals today
    * No heating will go on, we have plenty of fleeces and blankets, will also light candles if needed later
    * Wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash as the sun is out so will try and get it dried
    * Quick tidy of the fridge before Mr T delivery comes (won't take long as theres not a lot in it!)

Will add more as I go!

Have a good day all.
    Using a carbonara pasta bake sauce from the use up box, no idea where it came from but there are two jars in there thats lunch sorted with some of the pack of bacon

Originally posted by 1LuckyLady

Not a lot else done as we've just had a lovely chilled afternoon!
    We messed up the making of the carbonara bake by not reading the instructions properly!! so dh started to make another batch using up the 2nd jar but I managed to salvage the first batch by adding some water and microwaving for 10 mins! So we will have the 2nd (correctly made!) pasta bake tomorrow night now. (At least its two things gone from the use up box now!)
    Kids are having a bit of quiche and beans for their tea, me and dh aren't hungry at the the minute but when we are later it will definitely be from stores!
    Hung away the washing that had dried straight from the line, only adding 3 items to the ironing pile which was good!
    Sandwiches all prepped and ready for families lunches tomorrow

That's it from me, have a nice Sunday evening all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 34,883 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Spendy weekend here
    Yesterday I renewed our membership of a local attraction, a big outlay at £74, but saves loads over paying each time, and it is a lovely place to take the dog and visiting grandchildren, who go free with us . Also bought extra food at the Coop as DD and GD appeared at lunchtime and I didn't really have much in the fridge to feed us all (5 of us inc my brother) and no time to cook anything
    To cap it all, Campbells (lovely Scottish online meat and fish company) sent me voucher codes so I ordered enough to fill the freezer and last us a few months for £68 with free delivery. I wasn't going to pass us a chance like that!
    And then today we went out for lunch, to get a couple of hours on our own. We hardly ever do this went to a carvery in a nearby town. It was lovely, and a nice break, so I am pleased we went. Popped in to see DS and his GF while we were out
    Dreading confessing all this on the October thread, as I have totally blown the food spending budget

Anyway, apart from all the spending:
    Car booting this morning, bought a few things to sell on (I don't count this as 'spending' as it is a business cost, and recorded in my accounts rather than my spending diary)
    Paperwork for business
    Washing dried on line as it was a lovely day
    Cleared some of the garden pots, and a section of the veg plot
    Picked some beetroot, the last few French beans and a few raspberries
    Listed a few more bits on ebay
    Got a cake in the oven

Sounds as though everyone has had a good day
    PS, thanks for the chard tip, CLF
    Grocery / household spends for October £272.78 / £160
    NSDs for October 7/15
    Grocery / household spends for September £200.15 / £160.00
    SFDs for September 8/18
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,879 Posts
    • 19,153 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Evening all,

Operation clean is going to be an ongoing one.

The Hoover has finally died and I'm not replacing it. I brushed the rug in the sitting room with a stiff broom and the stairs with the cat grooming brush and both look better than they ever have with the Hoover.

I cooked courgette and salami pasta for dinner and have bagged up three more portions for work lunches.

I'm going to have a hot bath now and jump into clean sheets

Night all!
    Make £10 a day in October £224.01/£310 (September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

2,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin