Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,301Posts
    • 9,556Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October? 2nd Oct 17 at 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2 October
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
Page 3
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 4th Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 19,830 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all!

I was up fairly early today and working by 10am, I have designed another card and am half way through another but have stopped to order craft supplies for the half done one as size will determine other stuff.

I've finally got the right form to invoice for the four days owing me but I have until 15th to return it.

Lunch was some leftover mash with some cheese melted on top and some of my aubergine pickle.

It's getting chilly here now so back door closed today, I may chop back Auby and bring him in to see if he will overwinter okay indoors, I don't think there's much chance of the last five flower buds opening now.

I need to fold and put some clothes away and google how to clean the filter on the Hoover.

Have a good day all
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 4th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,
    Its been a busy few days with kiddo's birthday and working on sorting out the house we rent out as we are having a change in tenant.

We went out for food last night for the birthday boy but used Mr T vouchers so only paid £10.75 hard cash which was good

Todays list
    Ys bread for toast for us all for breakfast
    Gym session done and refilled water bottle whist there
    Made families packed lunches for tomorrow
    Hung away washing that had been on the airer overnight
    Feeling much colder here today but no heating going on as we have lots of jumpers and blankets around
    Prepped salad for mine & dh's tea and kids having leftover veg and we'll all have some leftover turkey with it.
    Checked banking /updated spreadsheets
    Will walk to the bus stop to collect ds2 rather then use fuel in the car
    Pack away the gift wrap/gift bags saved from yesterdays pressies
    Tidy fridge - make sure nothing is going to waste and plan tomorrows meals
    Hoover where needed
    Dust our sitting room before the kids start writing in the dust

That's if for now. Happy Hump day all!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • MagicBeans
    • By MagicBeans 4th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    MagicBeans
    Evening all.

So the blooming boiler man cancelled AGAIN!
    He promises tomorrow. We'll see! Hate being let down.
    Today did end up being a NSD so that's a plus.

Sat down to watch tv for the evening.

Tomorrow won't strictly be another NSD, but kinda will. I have to buy a cat litter, but I put the cash aside for it last Friday. So it's a budgeted spend. I know people count NSD's differently, so I dunno. But it will only be £4 I've already set aside, so I still feel good about it.

Tomorrows MSE goals, pretty much the same;
    ~ take lunch into work,
    ~ dinner from stores,
    ~ log cals in free app,
    ~ walk to and from work,
    ~ get boiler serviced (3rd time lucky) ,
    ~ only £4 planned and budgeted spend.

Hope you're all having a lovely evening.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 4th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 18,459 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Wednesday People,
    Just a few bits from me today:
    *Cleared very large ironing pile but sorted it thoroughly first so as to expend electricity only on what really needed it.
    *'Free' meal tonight as we ate one of the pasta bakes I made yesterday to use up some of our home-grown produce.
    *Did a survey & a prize draw.
    *Bought a litre of cheap vodka & started off this year's fruit liqueur. Blackberry & pear this year using fruit from our garden & Aldi sugar. Will give a couple of small bottles of this as gifts.
    *Updated October budget & grocery budget as I really need to keep on top of spending this month.
    *Have done a bit more knitting for my sales basket - turned the heel on a sock, picked up for the foot & will have shaped the foot & be half way down to the toes by bedtime. All yarn is from my stash......there have been no naughty little wool shop spends.
    *Started my new £2.99 moisturiser........cannot justify replacing the empty pot of my usual fabby stuff at £26. Will treat myself to another jar on a month where I can better afford it.
    *Chillier night tonight, but have put the little shawl round my shoulders that I knitted over summer from gifted yarn & no heating will be going on tonight......apart from heated towel radiator in bathroom, which is slightly different.
    My best wishes to all those who are struggling at the moment.
    Love f x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 4th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 6,609 Posts
    • 38,118 Thanks
    determined new ms

Tomorrow won't strictly be another NSD, but kinda will. I have to buy a cat litter, but I put the cash aside for it last Friday. So it's a budgeted spend. I know people count NSD's differently, so I dunno. But it will only be £4 I've already set aside, so I still feel good about it.
    Originally posted by MagicBeans
    MagicBeans I find NSDs quite hard - takes a little more organisation than I possess But I am really good at sticking to my budget (quite target focused ). and if I need something I'm also good at going in a SM and just getting the items on my list I think NSDs are good to aim for but it's better to be able to stick to your allocated budgets.

Work out how you want to account/include/exclude and then you're golden
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 4th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 18,459 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I totally agree with DNMS on the topic of NSDs. I think they're over- rated as a money saving tool. Of course if you usually go out & fritter money on tat every day, then having days where you spend nothing is useful. But you could have 10 nice shiny NSDs in a row, then go out on the 11th day & blow a big hole in your budget. That is a lot worse than spending as appropriate WITHIN BUDGET every day. So although I often feel pleased if I go 2 or 3 days without spending anything, that in itself isn't as important as simply setting a realistic budget at the beginning of each month & simply sticking to it. I will spend every day if I want/need to, but not on things I haven't budgeted for, & that's what has stopped the frittering.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 4th Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 18,532 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi gang

Nice to hear from you all
    Remember the bag that the shop wouldn't initially take to sell?! It sold for £40!
    I promptly put the cash towards a pair of boots... I do love having a pocket money fund for emergency boots

Here's me:
    - YS watermelon and free blueberry muffin for brekkie
    - Leftovers for lunch; OH took a YS noodle pot thingy
    - Bit of a 'use up' tea tonight
    - Checked banking/sorted YNAB
    - Replied to biz query
    - Checking out the cheapest option for train travel this weekend...
    - Decided to take back a pair of shoes I bought yesterday (see above! )

Catch up later my lovelies!

xx
    • MagicBeans
    • By MagicBeans 4th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    MagicBeans
    Hi all!

I agree that making and sticking to a budget is paramount. I try to, but lately, if I'm having an off day (more than I'd like! Ha), I would end up trotting off down to the local shop in my lunch time and blowing my budget, making it near on impossible to stick to it every month. Couldn't carry on like that, so am trying to focus on something to give me that little nudge to snap me out of it.
    Also ended up blowing the diet this way and I REALLY need to lose 2 stone.

I've also been having lots of "use up" dinners lately. Got a stock of foods I've grown bored of in the freezer after buying too many, so forcing myself to become a little more inventive and also use them up. Even YS items don't have an infinite date once frozen.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 4th Oct 17, 11:59 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 19,830 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Talking of YS items and sticking to your list in the supermarket, I went to the shop for some packing tape and came home with a joint of beef

It was however reduced to £3.60 and it looks fantastically lean.

I put back some finest pork medallions as I'm not keen on pork however bargainous it is.
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 5th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 12,984 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Band was fab on Tuesday and although a long day it was well worth it. We treated ourselves to dinner out but was very reasonable and we only had one (soft) drink each and only a main course . We didnít have a drink at the venue cane fro treat money so all ok.

Back on the bandwagon, agree on NSD, sticking to budget is a priority, whichever ways work for you and increasing NSD Just isnít on my radar but when I realise Iíve had. A few in a row itís always nice today I have/will

Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Check fleabay listings, 7 will sell
    WFH
    Pop out with DH at some point to look for something for his birthday from my folks
    Book a hotel that was a present for us so no spend
    Meals from stores
    Some more knitting tonight
    My wool for my next project arrived. Itís so pretty but itís so thin compared to the chunky wool Iím using now I hoping to make 2 presents so the funds will come from present fund if that works out.

Enjoy your day peeps.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 35,825 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Plans for today look like this:
    Finish sorting out items for sales unit, may take them down to the shop and put them in Done, took them in and had a good change around
    Do some cleaning and ironing Mucked out the dining room, did some hoovering and dusting, and am jut about to start the ironing - honest
    Sew a button on a dress and put it away (I hate sewing almost as much as ironing ) Must also do this!
    List at least one more item on ebay Managed about 5
    Minimal cooking today after my massive batch cooking session yesterday! Salad made with fried chorizo, cannelini beans, chopped tomatoes and onion, dressed with the oil from the chorizo and lemon juice - very quick and easy, used lemon quarters from the freezer
    Deal with a bowlful of apples gifted to OH, which have been sitting there for long enough Not done
    Water large pots in garden Watered the quince tree, must do the others over the next day or two!
    Check for surveys Would you believe still no onepoll surveys - I have 5p to go before I can cash out Did a long and boring one for Ipsos about makeup, which isn't a topic I am much interested in!

There will probably be more, so I will be back later to update
    Last edited by DawnW; 05-10-2017 at 7:12 PM.
    NSDs for December 6/15
    Decluttering 23/31

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 5th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 18,459 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Thursday Poundstretchers,
    Some little useful bits of stuff today but have been quite busy on local political stuff so perhaps not as proactive with household economies as I might have been. Anyway, here goes:
    *Used left over cooked apples with my oats this morning for breakfast......in fact the oats were also kind of a 'use it up' as they were the last bit from a box of muesli.....you know, the bit that's left when all the interesting nuts & dates & stuff has been picked out.
    *Used leftover lemon & cinnamon syrup to poach a few more pears for the freezer.
    *Just in case anyone thought the pear glut might be just about over here, it's not. The windy night has fetched a load more off the tree so I will be popping out in a minute to round up probably another 4 kilos.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Did some surveys.
    *Do next week's meal plans - have pretty much sorted this in my head, just need to work it through on paper to get each meal on the optimum day for not wasting food.
    *Can't remember if I mentioned I was recruited onto an online customer feedback forum via a Toluna survey from a couple of weeks ago. I have only done the 1st two projects, which were nothing onerous at all, & very quick & I have received payment of £28 in vouchers. That's more than I thought, so will be very useful to buy some presents from my Christmas shopping list. I am just pricing things up this week & next so I will be able to cross those things off as now being 'budget-neutral'. Updated signature, as I like to keep a tally of my survey income.
    *Knit for sales basket. This sock could be finished by tomorrow night if I put my mind to it & get those needles clicking.
    *Make sourdough loaf - that's in progress, just on its 2nd proving. I can tell that it's dropped a little colder as it isn't rising as quickly as it usually does. No heating on yet though.
    *Investigated whether there is an Aldi near Mum's. We need to visit this Saturday but won't have shopped. There is! And it's actually on the outskirts of her village. We are trying to avoid having to go out for our groceries on Sunday as we would like to have a day out together for a nice stress-busting walk.
    Well, I must go & fetch the pear bucket. If you lot all lived within a 10 miles radius of me, I'd be dropping secret deliveries of pears on your doorsteps in the dead of night. We have been overwhelmed with them! Might have to make another batch of chutney because you know I can't bear wasting things.
    OK, cheers all,
    F x
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I had a real slob day yesterday which really did recharge my batteries and do me the world of good
    I had to go into town late afternoon and going up the pedestrian street that is opened up to cars later in the day, on my way back home I slowed my car down as there was a lady with a toddler who was having a tantrum. I waited but in the process of waiting a big blooming delivery lorry shoves a big metal storage container out of the lorry which bounced off my new car causing damage. I parked up went to see one of the guys unloading who wasnt bothered, just exchanged details and then he says to me it happens all of the time. I pointed out a couple of times that it could have hit the mum and toddler but he didn't really say anything. Didnt get a sorry but i was quick to point out that where we were there would be CCTV everywhere in case of dispute. So a good day went south later on so hasnt been a good week all in all
    Have been to an event today-free lunch and cuppa
    No money spent today but will need to top up tomorrow.
    All banking and d.debits checked and up to date
    Hope everyone has had a good day x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 35,825 Thanks
    DawnW
    Grrr that is really annoying HK!
    And as you say, it could have been dangerous
    Hope the insurance companies do what they are supposed to do!
    NSDs for December 6/15
    Decluttering 23/31

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 19,830 Thanks
    FatVonD
    That sucks, HappyKitties, be sure to get the CCTV quick before its wiped.

I was back to new job today which I'm still enjoying and finished just in time for the bakery reductions.

I wanted to cook a roast tonight but my feet ache too much, I might have to have a rethink.

I need to check on Amazon whether my stuff has arrived and is live yet, fingers crossed! Next batch isn't arriving until Monday, hopefully I won't make the same rookie error next time.

One of the adult fish has died and the tiny baby escaped the nursery pen and was happily swimming around with the big fish! I finally managed to catch the other tiny baby so they are both in there now fending for themselves!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 5th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6,609 Posts
    • 38,118 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi everyone - HK how infuriating! I'd be hopping mad! Hope it's sorted quickly

Been to work today, got through it. Not as bad as I had thought it would be but was on edge until after lunch when I went for a walk and discovered a lovely walk way with fields & with about 20 horses in one

* NSD
    * went for a walk at lunch good for my wellbeing & soul
    * made note of mileage and submitted expenses
    * got free biscuits as did a drop in thing today
    * knitting part 4! Argh I might just give up on trying to knit socks, but the determined streak I have is very stubborn!
    * oh having ys steak pie & chips for tea. I'm having chip butty with the last slice of ys bread
    * madam went to mil's after school - no wrap around here (no offense to anyone who does have wrap around!) £3 saved
    * going to watch the last episode of Dr Fisher in a bit
    * One of madam's xmas gifts arrived today - junior monopoly from fleabay
    * checked bank and paid cc in nick of time. Didn't do it until 4.50 (I like to live dangerously! ) and today was the payment date. Received email to say it's been received. Phew!

That's all x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 6th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 18,532 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi gang

HK - how annoying!! The issue will be that the guy doesn't care because it's his work's van etc and not his own
    DNMS - sounds like a lovely lunchtime walk for you!
    MagicBeans - gosh, I'm c rap at NSDs

Well, it's going to be a long, busy day today for me... Out this morning (long story), then back to work for the afternoon (full day's work in half the time and boss is off so please can I do his job too...!), quick change, catching a train @ 5.59, meeting friends at the other end @ 7.10, out for quick dinner, go to friend's 40th, back for last train @ 10.38 - I can't actually get home on this train so staying at a friend's house... Also need to go to post office to collect a parcel...

I've checked banking and sorted YNAB

Logged stuff for biz - two newbies last night

Right, must dash!!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 18,459 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Frugal Friends,
    I've woken up with a headache this morning but am hoping a combination of codiene, coffee & 'Kalms' will shift it. Not too busy a day planned today but am feeling motivated on the money saving:
    *Finish shopping list.
    *Take home made soup & roll out of the freezer for lunch.
    *Clean house using minimal products & washable cloths.
    *Am waiting in for a delivery so will not be tempted out to spend money (3 gifts, which I ordered last night using that unexpected £28 survey payment).
    *Continue with my list of outstanding Christmas/birthday gifts. Am adding prices this year, so if I find I have a little underspend on a budget, I can use it to pick up the gift nearest in price.
    *Check for surveys.
    *Bake pear & ginger muffins....some for freezer & some to take to Mum's tomorrow.
    *Weigh & bag up glass beads to list on ebay.....too nice to chuck. Might be useful to crafters. Photograph another ebay item too, ready for listing.
    *Finish 3rd pair of socks for my sales basket & cast on another pair.
    That will probably do, as I intend to have a bit of a pamper later, wash my hair, face pack, paint my toenails, all those things we need now & again to give ourselves a bit of an MOT. Think the £2.99 moisturiser I bought (to keep me going till I can justify the expense of my favourite one) is going to be false economy as I am having to use double the quantity. Still a saving though on a tight month.
    Wishing you all a peaceful & productive Friday.
    F x
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    DNMS the damage to my car has really played on my mind. The hassles of phone calls are now beginning but I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about it.
    Today, banking all checked and d.debits up to date
    Cat cleaning all done.
    Got to go into town this morning to do some bits and post a parcel-postage already paid with RM survey stamps.
    House a state so hoping to get the kitchen sorted at least.
    Some paperwork to do
    Nearly forgot, have to go and do my cat food shop stock up-have a voucher towards this.
    Have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 12,984 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all Hope you get the car sorted soon HK and your headache goes foxgloves This recipe is lovely for pears :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2852/apple-pear-and-walnut-crumble

My list for today:
    check banking, yesterday turned out to be a bit spendy, albeit from various 'pots' so no effect on overall budget but I need to get straight and put all the money where it should be
    WFH again, so should be able to squeeze in a few jobs
    Meals from stores
    Washing out, 2nd small load in
    2 dry loads from outdoors yesterday to go away
    Make a quiche (or at least the pastry case for it)
    Make a cake
    Knitting tonight, didn't manage any yesterday as forgot I was walking with a friend
    Some sort of free exercise
    Quick vacuum through
    DH has taken my car to work so no dent in our fuel budget
    Write up what I want to plant where now I have taken out some big weeds/unwanted plants. See what I can add to my christmas list and what I need to budget for

Think that's all for now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,023Posts Today

6,599Users online

Martin's Twitter