Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,231Posts
    • 8,919Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October? 2nd Oct 17 at 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2 October
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
Page 2
    • MagicBeans
    • By MagicBeans 3rd Oct 17, 7:02 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MagicBeans
    Morning all.

Managed to stick to my goals yesterday, which was fab & managed a NSD! ��

Same goals today of:
    ~ take lunch to work.
    ~ dinner from stores.
    ~ Amazon prime instead of renting the films I reallllly want to see. ��
    ~ Track calories in MFP (also tends to stop me spending money on food!).

I also have our boiler service today. I put £100 aside for the service itself (£60) and any minor repairs. I'm hoping I don't have to spend the additional £40 as I really need it to go towards our MOT in a months time. Fingers crossed!

Also realised that when I'm organised and ready on time walking to work is MSE as it saves on fuel. So adding that to my list too which I also managed yesterday.

~ walk to and from work.

Hope you all have a fab day. ��
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 3rd Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 12,703 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all hope every one is ok this morning. Up early which I could have done without as we’ve got tickets to see a band later, trouble is, it’s 3 hours drive away should be some quality time with DH though. Glad Cat is now asleep after waking me up he’s obviously got a tough day of eating and sleeping and dreaming ahead of him we bought the tickets ages ago and fuel is gratis, so only car parking to pay for. Thinking of paying to park on someone’s drive to keep cost down as there’s no street parking nearby by the looks of it

Other things today:
    Make hummus - done and frozen half the batch
    Make packed lunches - done
    Use 2 egg whites I froze when I made pastry with the yolks with a whole egg for my breakfast
    Check banking
    Add interest on ISA to savings total
    Pay for brownie day for dad from her subs pot
    Write card for sil from stash
    Some washing outside before I go to work (just remembered I’m only on half day )
    Think about what I need for tomorrow as we’ll be back late tonight.
    Check just for points cc and reconcile.

Right, enjoy your day peoples.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 3rd Oct 17, 7:48 AM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 37,630 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning purps, magicbeans & la e. Enjoy the band purps. And that sounds like a faff la e hope you get them to change the rate for you x

Have decided not to go to work again today just delaying the inevitable. But will definitely go back tomorrow....

* Have put a load in the machine & will hang out when dry
    * starts socks - again. Cast on twice last night, got in a muddle and unpicked the stitches!
    * meal from plan - swapping around days to use things up
    * los for lunch for me
    * exercise & meditate 30mins digging. Was hard work!
    * listen to audio book
    * flylady upstairs
    * NSD
    * make cake with madam after school. Might go to park but depends on if I'm up to it
    * speak to dd and make sure she went to her appts yesterday
    * photo and list 3 things on fleabay
    * check onepoll
    * hopefully go to the allotment for an hour. Really should as good for me and lots to do, but everything is a bit of an effort!
    * pay cc

Ok that'll do. Have a great day x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 03-10-2017 at 2:56 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 12/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 3rd Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 8,919 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all

OH seems to be getting slowly better. I have a bit of a scratchy throat and a slight cough so I'm hoping to ward it off!

Small mission today:
    • Meals from plan
    • Prep meals for tomorrow
    • Log cals in mfp - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Gym at lunchtime - done
    • Crochet (decided to carry on with the jacket for my friend's toddler before moving onto the dress. Dress requires more brain power)
    • Early night - am cream crackered!
    • No drinkies (am doing very well so far!) - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 03-10-2017 at 4:41 PM.

• arc2014
    • By arc2014 3rd Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    arc2014
    Morning all!

NSD planned for me today, tea already sorted & packed lunches for everyone!
    - Survey sites checked (will check again later too!)
    - eBay checked (doesn't look like my couple of items ending today will sell, but definitely have some sellers tomorrow! )
    - just checked my payslip and it turns out I'm earning under the personal allowance this year so no tax for me!
    Logbook Loan 170.42/1000 · DC1 45/1420.32 · DC2 30/321.13 · DC3 11.75/11.75 · DC4 40/635 · Personal Loan 426.74/4800 · Overdraft 0/1200

Lightbulb Moment September 2017 - DFD Christmas 2018!

October NSDs 11/15 · £10 a day challenge £250.31/£500
    • NewlyFrugalMumof3
    • By NewlyFrugalMumof3 3rd Oct 17, 11:22 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    NewlyFrugalMumof3
    Hi.
    May I join in with this sensible group. I am returning, as I was debt free but due to 'life' and the DWP taking away one of my children's DLA (despite him still have and always will have a disability!) which has knock on effect on tax credits, our family budget is now over £600 down every month!

We are a family of 5: 2 adults, OH works very long hours, I am housewife/OU student/school volunteer, 1 teenager at college, 1 at secondary school and 1 little one at primary school - all boys.

So, the credit card has been filling up again alas . I am trying to be thrifty again, so here goes. This week I have/will have:

Daily walk pooches
    Washing on line when possible
    Heating still off
    Update spreadsheet of monthly budget
    Try and stick to the bloomin' budget!
    Check topcashback
    Pack lunches for 2 boys + OH
    Mealplan from stores
    Use supermarket vouchers and make a shopping list beforehand
    List toys from 'gift cupboard' on local FB page
    Try and find something I need with WhiteStuff giftvoucher
    Find sofabed on FB local for conservatory
    Find reasonable wall storage for DS2 bedroom
    Start OU courses a few days early
    Encourage DS x 3 to help more around the house!
    Run 4 times/week
    Tidy/clean up couple rooms at a time.
    Get on top of diary.

Have a great week everyone.

T
    Last edited by NewlyFrugalMumof3; 03-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Oct GS £74.83/£400, Fuel:£25.01/40; Run/walk 3/20miles/week, weight loss 14lb/49lb; Debt LBM 07/2012 Total:£8,910 paid off DF 26/5/2015;
    BUT Vc/c 8229! , Sc/c 2335 New LBM 3/10/2017: £10,564!!!
    NSD: 0/18 Emergencysaved £300, SP ? / £100, Vouchers: Argos £80, W'stones £15, WhiteSt £50, Amex £800, DS2 £97.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 3rd Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 21,778 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Slept better last night and feel ok-ish (apart from PMS) so today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Ironing - Done
    Washing -
    Recycle all boxes and paper - Done (had a few prizes turn up yesterday)
    Read meters & upload - Done
    Clean patio doors -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Luckyphone, Ashleigh, FPL -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 03-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in Aug 2017: £358.12/£155 . Make £5 per day in Sept 2017: £406.12/£150
    Make £5 per day in October 2017: £12.65/£155
    • arc2014
    • By arc2014 3rd Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    arc2014
    Just relisted a couple of things on eBay, lowered the price too. Fingers crossed they sell this time!
    Logbook Loan 170.42/1000 · DC1 45/1420.32 · DC2 30/321.13 · DC3 11.75/11.75 · DC4 40/635 · Personal Loan 426.74/4800 · Overdraft 0/1200

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Frugalistas,
    Quite a good day so far on the frugal front:
    *Did this week's final laundry load to make use of another warm blowy day for free drying.
    *Did a couple of surveys.
    *Picked 2.2kg courgettes, 2 buckets of pears & a bunch of basil.
    *Sorted through my paper bag of ripening tomatoes. 1lb ripe ones removed, skinned, chopped & frozen.
    *Used 600g previously prepped & frozen ones in tonight's meal which is slow cooker black bean chipotle chilli. Will serve on jackets with a side helping of stir-fried courgettes. Hope there will be a portion for freezer too.
    *Used more courgettes, tomatoes, basil, peppers that we've grown with anchovies, cheese,etc, & made 2 pasta bakes...one for tomorrow & one for the freezer.
    *Fed sourdough jar ready to bake loaf on Thursday.
    *Peeled, sliced & poached huge pan of pears - just reducing the liquid down to a syrup now. Smells nice. Added lemon juice & cinnamon.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    Will be knitting for my sales basket later. Have been feeling sad this morning, as had to do a couple of jobs to do with Dad's funeral. Being busy & doing a bit of cooking while listening to an audiobook has been good for me today. Whoops, must go, can hear cat savaging lounge carpet again. Grrrr!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £289
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 3rd Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 8,919 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hooray! Refunds have come through from the gym!

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 3rd Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 19,214 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Hooray to refunds, CLF

NewlyFrugal, if you're having trouble finding something to buy with your vouchers could you sell them (is it Zeek, the voucher site?)

I've *finally* managed to sell the expensive face creams I got in a sale at work (for £1!) for £100, they are worth £300 so the buyer has a bargain and I have just over £90 in my bank account after fees so everyone's happy (I hope!)

I have stuffed up badly on Amazon by listing some stuff without activating 'small and light' and I'll be lucky to break even on them but it's all a learning curve. I've also had to buy a program to enable me to edit their spreadsheet to get it right next time, got to think about the long game though.

I had to take a trip out to buy light bulbs of all descriptions today, I've been making like a mole for a while now but then the one in the bathroom went which was a step too far. Luckily H0mebase had lots of promotions on them so I couldn't have timed it better.

Lunch was a YS sandwich and crisps and dinner is going to be chicken and mushroom pies with HM chips. The cats are down to just the red sachets of food now which is their least favourite but needs must!
    Make £10 a day in October £224.01/£310 (September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 3rd Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 34,912 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    ((Hugs)) to Foxgloves

Had a dreadful night's sleep, or lack of it, mainly due to a lingering headache. Still, I feel ok today and have tried to make the most of it:
    Cheapie porridge breakfast
    Walked dog to library this morning, free exercise and did 2 jobs in one, as I had books to return
    Went to sales unit to tidy up, see what is needed etc
    Posted ebay and RM surveys items
    Bit of shopping, as I have used most of the meat and fish in the freezer now. Got Waitrose 3 for £10 deal, also a couple of YS items (reduced, but not by much round here). Plenty of meals can be made from those! Used 2 reduced pork steaks for dinner, froze the other 2 Rest in fridge, hoping to do a batch cooking session tomorrow
    Treated myself to a new frying pan from the cheapie shop in town - I have discovered it is no use buying expensive frying pans as they don't last that long however much you spend! £5.99 for a ceramic one
    Bought some compost to top up pots where needed
    Leftovers for lunch
    Sold 6 more ebay items
    Bit of paperwork for small biz
    Home grown carrots and French beans for dinner
    A coolbox surplus to requirements has just left the premises to live with a Freecycler
    NSDs for October 8/15

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 3rd Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 18,430 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi guys

Lotsa love ((foxgloves))...and hope the carpet survived the cat attack!
    CLF - yay on getting the gym refund through!

I'm hopefully getting the mortgage rate back-dated - will wait until I see it in black n' white before celebrating...

Lunch was a sandwich with cooked ham I got out of the freezer - perfectly defrosted by lunchtime Saturday's bread roll was still ok too.

Topped up 8% discount card.

Bought 2 pairs of shoes in the M&S sale - £25 for both and a whopping saving of £109.50!! (Not that I would've bought them full price )

Signed up for cover for job#2 - £100 to me. Holiday spending money for Nov sorted.

Someone new for job#2 is bringing a pal

Trying to cash out my Qmee payment as I don't really use it anymore - doesn't seem to be working correctly though...

Catch up soon my lovely lot!

xxx
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 4th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 37,630 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning - quick post as need to start getting ready.

* read martins newsletter - considering the meat offer....
    * try to tie hair back so as not to wash
    * get madam's ballet bag ready for the mad dash
    * check meal plan & get sausages out of freezer
    * list 3 things on fleabay
    * pay cc - must do this after the school run
    * by the virtue of the above check banks
    * make sandwich and snacks to take to work
    * do meditation, listen to audio book, do some knitting
    * 10 mins hula hooping & power walk everywhere I need to for free exercise
    * probably go to the allotment after work (10-1)

Ok that's all for now. FVD excellent sale there!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 12/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • MagicBeans
    • By MagicBeans 4th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MagicBeans
    Hi all.

Feeling a little low today. Never mind!

New starter at work and the older generation seem to get pushed into a corner. Oh well. Tis what tis.

MSE wise on the agenda for today:
    ~ lunch taken into work from home,
    ~ dinner from stores,
    ~ log cals in mfp,
    ~ walk to and from work,
    ~ get boiler serviced & room stat fit (never had one before and apparently it can save you lots of £'s per year). Thermostat isn't even going to cost us anything as it's a treat from OH's father. So quids in.
    ~ cancelled haircut (Not ideal as it needs it but it's because the blooming boiler man didn't turn up yesterday so had to rearrange everything).
    ~ Hopefully a NSD if nothing crops up as I'd already set aside the money for the boiler service months ago and now no haircut so counting that as a win to cheer me up.

Yesterday also ended up being a NSD so 2 already this week if today also goes to plan.

Onwards and upwards as they say. Hopefully things can only get better!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 4th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    A big hello to the newbies and regulars, I have been reading and trying to follow as much as possible, have been recovering from a food poisoning bug
    My immune system is shockingly bad at the minute, when that happens I have to go and checked to make sure I have no sores developing as everything goes south. But everything good apart from very sore stomach muscles.
    MSE wise I've been excellent due to not being to get off the settee!!
    I did go to a meeting last night, was only a short one and went to tesc@ after for bananas as I only started eating again yesterday and could only face bananas. I managed to pick up a tub of sausage rolls for 20p that I've put in the freezer for Christmas.
    Had to put the heating on while poorly but it is back off as it is surprisingly mild here so washing will be going out today.
    Have done a check on all my d.debits and banking this morning to make sure everything okay
    Still have to pack up some of DDs games that I've sold but I just haven't been able to do it.
    FVD a great sale on the creams. I sold some of DD games and text books on Amaz@n recently, I don't like it at all, find it so confusing and they don't make things clear either i think once the remaining items have sold i will finish with Amazon, it's not for me
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 4th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 34,912 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    HK, take care - hope you are properly better soon!
    Not a great night's sleep again, but better than the previous night, and I seem to do ok on it!
    So far today I have:
    Washed hair - kudos to everybody who ties it back instead, but mine really drives me mad if I don't wash it every couple of days and I hate doing it!
    Packed 4 ebay parcels Ended up doing 6
    Pegged washing out on line All dry now
    Tied raspberries back as they were driving me mad hanging over the path and whacking me in the face, especially when it rains

Plans for today include:
    A big batch cooking session, which I am about to start Done, phew!!
    Sort out some items for my sales unit Started!
    List a couple more things on ebay Managed 3 listings
    Post office this afternoon, will walk for free exercise! Done, Dog and OH came too
    Chase up non paying ebayers Done, still waiting on 2
    Check for surveys - would you believe I am waiting for 5p to cash out on Onepoll. Surprisingly, I had no surveys at all yesterday And none again today! Did one for Ipsos though, and didn't get screened out for a change! Gave up on a Prolific one, as I couldn't make head or tail of it

Right, on with that cooking - I am planning Thai pork burgers, a chilli, beef and mushroom pie filling and a shepherds pie base at least! Thai pork burgers (we had these for dinner), a recipe I got from the internet called Moroccan pork, a shepherds pie base, a chilli, a sausage casserole and beef cooked in gravy with onions and mushrooms, which I will use for pies. Most in the freezer now, waiting for steak and mushroom pie filling to cool down first

OH has kindly volunteered to clean up the kitchen after all that!
    Last edited by DawnW; 04-10-2017 at 7:11 PM.
    NSDs for October 8/15

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 4th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 8,919 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning!

Love to foxgloves, ziggy, HK and MagicBeans and anyone else who is below par.
    Welcome to NewlyFrugalMum

Been filling out a stupid medical questionnaire in work. Feel pretty annoyed and have refused to answer the questions pertaining to my immediate family. My work do not need to know about my family. More to the point, if my mum has asthma, what the hell has that got to do with me? I don't have asthma. Full stop.

Mission today:
    • Meals from plan
    • Plan next week's meals (lots in so will try to use what we have and just top up)
    • Log cals in free app
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Might have to clean. OH apparently is not cleaning this week, and the bathrooms are a pigsty.
    • Gym at lunchtime - done
    • No drinks
    • Crochet
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 04-10-2017 at 1:38 PM.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 4th Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 8,919 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Washed hair - kudos to everybody who ties it back instead, but mine really drives me mad if I don't wash it every couple of days and I hate doing it!
    Originally posted by DawnW

I kept tying mine back and I got sick of having tied back greasy hair. I kept not washing it cos it was just getting sweaty again at the gym. In the end I chopped it all off. It was a great decision.

• arc2014
    • By arc2014 4th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    arc2014
    Plan for today:

- Go to town to post eBay parcels
    - Pick up some veg for tea whilst in town (hopefully some y/s. Kale always seems to be y/s & luckily we love that!)
    - Check survey sites
    - Chase up non paying eBayers
    - Relist non sellers on eBay
    - Walk the long way to pick the big one up from school - free exercise!
    - Wash towels & babies bedding (quick wash!)

I may have to resort to using the dryer!! But needs must!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,910Posts Today

8,911Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin