Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,223Posts
    • 8,865Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October? 2nd Oct 17 at 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2 October
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
Page 1
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    Morning!

Hope I haven't cross-posted. Am on the pc this morning as my phone is dead (charger in work!) Have been mse by not buying a second one!

Hopefully I won't get told off too much for yesterday

OH seems to be a bit on the mend. His temperature keeps coming up a bit and he's sleeping but his cough is def better than it was. Little weigh-in today, 1.25lb down so can't complain. I was really hungry last night though so hopefully today will be better.

Mission:
    • Meals from plan - done
    • Prep tomorrow's meals - done
    • Look out for gym refund - done - 70 has come back so far...
    • Behave myself at work to redeem myself - done. I have managed a very cool thing today.
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • See if FB buyer comes. Two no-shows. Then he just messages and rearranges! - nope. P.I.Staker
    • No drinkies - done
    • Gym at lunch time (better make the most of this money eh? ) - done
    • Crochet - but what?! I'm up to date with the sunshine and showers (well ish - but cannot face all those little flowers again.) - forgot that I had started a dress for myself! Maybe ready for Christmas?!
    Have a good one folks

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 02-10-2017 at 7:28 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 2nd Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 34,867 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for starting the thread CLF - hope you have a good day at work and your OH is better soon
    I slept most of the night, after having slept most of yesterday afternoon, so I must have needed it - feel better this morning which is just as well, as I am looking after little GD while her mum goes for a scan. Apparently it is 'boring' looking at pictures of her little brother or sister At least DD will be able to ask any questions she has and be able to listen to the answers!

Other things:
    Washing is already out on the line All dry, must fold and put away (hopefully there is nothing that needs ironing!)
    Picked some raspberries and blueberries for my breakfast
    May take GD to the park Took her to the park for most of the morning
    Must stay in this afternoon, as an ebayer is supposed to be coming to pick up their item Buyer turned up as arranged
    List some more things on ebay Managed to list 6 items
    Do some bits in the garden if it stays fine Not done
    Do some cleaning - dusting today I think, judging by the look of the furniture Nor this - still feeling tired and headachey
    HM meals from stores, must get something out of the freezer for dinner Done, found some trout
    Hoping for a NSD Nothing spent
    'Do something' with a large bowl of gifted apples - or better still, get OH to do it Not done
    Remind OH to take most of remainder of birthday cakes to the community group he belongs to. We are trying to lose weight, and lovely though they are, multiple large cakes will not help! Done, very well received by all accounts
    Did a few surveys, I am pennies away from cashing out on Onepoll
    Wrapped ebay items for posting tomorrow (one more to do now)
    Put an unwanted cool box on freecycle and someone has asked for it already. We have two ordinary cool boxes, a cool bag, and an electric cool box - don't need all those! The two ordinary ones were £1 car boot purchases ages ago, the coolbag a gift, only the electric one was bought new, but still.... so rehoming the biggest one, to free up a bit of space
    More coffee needed first, I think!
    Hope everyone has a good day
    Last edited by DawnW; 02-10-2017 at 7:06 PM.
    Grocery / household spends for October £248.28 / £160
    NSDs for October 6/15
    Grocery / household spends for September £200.15 / £160.00
    SFDs for September 8/18
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 2nd Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 6,536 Posts
    • 37,542 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    Morning carrie & thanks for starting the thread yay to another day off. Will go back to work tomorrow....

Washing machine is being delivered this morning between 8-12 will give me the op to clean the house which usually always gets sidelined for the allotment! WM delivered and installed by moi who needs a £14.99 installation cost or wants to wait until the male in the household comes home??!

Will go to the allotment and do an hour's digging. Am now going to start on the autumn clean proper depending on time WM gets here I may walk there didn't walk...

want to photo and list items on fleabay

clean car out - it's a shocking mess! took some rubbish out. that counts right????

things out of freezer for tea with lashings of veg

check onepoll

Am going to start knitting some socks - I've never been able to finish one! I always mess it up after the heel!

meditate & listen to audio book

considered buying jam jars for raspberry & prossecco jam and a couple bottles for sloe gin and blackberry whiskey. Had a root around the larder and cupboard and realised I don't need to do that as can recycle things from stores

madam has a dentist appt and I want to park where it's free but then it's a bit of a walk for her. Might just swallow the parking charge.... hurrah found a solution. Madam will take her scooter. Win win
    Last edited by determined new ms; 02-10-2017 at 7:47 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 11/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 2nd Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 12,660 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    Morning all thanks for the start Carrie

Quick post for me:

Left overs for lunch/tea for everyone, saved a meal from plan
    Hot drink for commute
    Half a slice of cake to work rather than a whole one to make it go further
    Cook chickpeas, make hummus
    Check banking, update sheet
    Check surveys
    More knitting tonight, I might be able to finish it. If I get a good run at it

Have a good day folks, Purps.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 2nd Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 21,769 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    Good Morning All

Carrie - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Another shocking nights sleep so today I'm going to be kind to myself and not push myself to get lots done. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Luckyphone, Ashleigh, FPL -

Have a great day all.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in Aug 2017: £358.12/£155 . Make £5 per day in Sept 2017: £406.12/£150
    Make £5 per day in October 2017: £12.65/£155
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 2nd Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    Morning all and thanks for being such a positive group and brightening my day Just heard a friend has passed away

Does anyone have any experience with paying a load of coins (pennies, 2ps, 5ps) in at the bank? B**clays, if that helps. I remember a couple of years back I tried to pay some cash - only about £3.50 - in at N********e and they said they didn't accept cash. Keen to declutter and keen to get those pennies into our account! Thanks for any advice.

Today I will/have:
    *check accounts - done
    *transfer funds to cover outgoing payments - done
    *get some free exercise - done
    *pay coins in at the bank (if they'll take them)
    *work, work, work - done
    *clean the flat - - done, phew
    *budget for October - bit late to the party, I know
    *couple of freegle items being picked up - done

Have a super day,
    US
    Last edited by uphillstruggler; 04-10-2017 at 8:25 PM.
    Emergencies account: £200/500 CC (20/10/17): £652.50
    Groceries Oct 2017: EUR74.50/150 NSD Oct 2017: 9/10
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 2nd Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 34,867 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    Sorry to hear of your loss Uphill Struggler
    Most banks will accept coins if they are counted into the little pastic coin bags provided - the bags need to contain the right number of the right denomination of coins so they can be weighed rather than counted. I keep a few bags on the go and when they contain the correct amount, pay them in. The bank will give you the bags for free
    Grocery / household spends for October £248.28 / £160
    NSDs for October 6/15
    Grocery / household spends for September £200.15 / £160.00
    SFDs for September 8/18
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 2nd Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    Thanks, Dawn
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 2nd Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 6,536 Posts
    • 37,542 Thanks
    determined new ms
    hope you're ok uphillstruggler x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • tantaraza
    • By tantaraza 2nd Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tantaraza
    Hi, I hope it's okay to drop in I'm still relatively new on the debt free journey but there are no big things to cut (e.g. Sky) so it's really only small things I can do and it would be nice to have somewhere I can talk and be held accountable

Today I am going to phone the CAB and ask for a form I need to be posted out to me. Hopefully they'll do this? I'm going to try to advertise some unwanted items on Gumtree too.

Sorry to hear about your loss, uphillstruggler NatWest have a coin deposit machine but I can't remember if it's only for customers, if you have a nearby branch it may be worth popping in to ask them? Or I second DawnW's suggestion of using coin bags
    • baggybreeches
    • By baggybreeches 2nd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    baggybreeches
    Morning all!
    Sorry to hear of your loss uphill struggler, last week was a pretty awful week for a few of my friends which left me feeling pretty low so be kind to yourself.
    I haven't got any purchases planned this week so it will be more eBaying for me (yesterday saw a Hornby Toy & a spare microwave sold for a combined total of £40).
    We are without a kitchen now as our new kitchen arrives in two weeks but we need to do some prep work first so it's going be challenging but I have the slow cooker as well as my proper cooker so there's no excuse really. Also washing up by hand (which means we are being frugal with the dishes and cups used!) in an outside sink.
    I am on leftovers for lunch today and have enough to see me through most of the week as well a anything that is leftover from today's chilli :-)
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 2nd Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 17,981 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Monday Money Savers,
    Useful, busy morning, but as last week was so stressful & much of it is still ongoing with funeral arrangements, legal stuff, etc, I've decided that I'm going to have an afternoon off. Going to make a cafetiere, get my knitting out & watch 'Cold Feet'. Such a simple thing, but really looking forward to just doing something for myself. Anyway, onto today's bits of money saving:
    *Did laundry on timer overnight on cheap tariff. Half the cost of our daytime electricity tariff.
    *Arranged clean laundry on heated airer for th grand total of about 8 mins when I noticed how blowy it is outside today, so I whipped it all back off into the basket & pegged it outside instead. I think our heated airer is less than 5p an hour to run, but pegging out on the whirlygig is zero p an hour so I will continue doing this while I can.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *My Big Budget Day today. Reconciled September's budget & set October's. Looks tight but doable. Was able to pay the Savings Piggies & Emergency Fund and had already committed the spends on a few presents we bought on yesterday's city centre trip. Paid one CC in full. Unable to pay the other one in full, as I usually would because of my expensive new glasses, but I certainly won't be making minimum payments either. I paid off a good sized chunk of it today & will do the same over the next 2 or 3 months.
    *Did some surveys.
    *Paid another 50p into my sealed pot. mr f nearly opened his while I was away at my Mum's last week!!!! I think guilt got the better of him & he put it back in his wardrobe & 'fessed up when I got home.
    *Priced up vodka. I need to start off this year's blackberry & apple vodka this week. Last year's was lovely. Best price seems to be a litre bottle from Aldi. I will be giving a couple of small pretty bottle of this as Christmas gifts.
    *Make apple sauce for the freezer- I will do this before my coffee & TV afternoon. We didn't get a big apple crop this year, as the tree produced sooooooo many last year, I think it's having a year off, so I don't want to waste the nice fruits that we did get. (Still knee-deep in pears).
    *Noticed that mr f's CC statement is detailing a lot of loyalty points. Looks like it might be around £16, which will be very useful as he needs a warm hoodie or a jacket & actually (shock, horror, hair stands on end!!) saw something he liked yesterday while we were out shopping. Hope the vouchers arrive soon.
    OK, I shall go & get those apples peeled now.
    Oh.....about paying in coins. I've always found the bank to be fine about this, as long as they are in the proper cash bags & properly counted out. I've also paid them into our bank account via the post office counter too. The big post office in town is happy to do this, but our village post office refuses to take more than 3 bags at a time because it is single-staffed. This is still the case when there is absolutely nobody else in there waiting to be served, so it might be a bit of a 'jobsworth' thing.

DNMS - I think it was you who said you found it hard to find 'Stardrops' in the shops? Have you tried 'Savers'? I was in there the other day & spotted that they have the original bottles which you can use neat on really tough jobs or dilute it yourself to make it last ages (usually over a year in my case!) Was pleased to see it because when I last went to my usual store to buy it, they only had the ready-made up spray bottles. Same price, but doesn't last anywhere near as long as the original undiluted stuff you can make up yourself. Just a thought, if you have a 'Savers' branch near you.
    OK, apple time.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £289
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 2nd Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Thank you all for your kind words and for the tips on paying in coins. x
    • MagicBeans
    • By MagicBeans 2nd Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MagicBeans
    Hi all,

Newbie here. Used to be on the forum years ago but couldn't remember my username. So am back under a new name.

I need to start taking control of our finances and what better place to start than the little, daily habits and spends.

All of my "big" expenses are pretty much sorted, it's the little things and the monthly grocery spends, leisure spends etc that tend to trip us up.

Uphillstruggler, sorry for your loss.xo

Things I'm doing today;
    ~ taken lunch into work instead of buying it out.
    ~ eating dinner from the cupboards/freezer.
    ~ making the most of our Amazon Instant Video subscription for £5.99 and streaming prime shows instead of paying to rent the latest at £3.45 each.
    ~ tracking my calories using myfitnesspal to help me lose a little weight so I can still fit in my clothes without buying new ones before Christmas! ��
    • arc2014
    • By arc2014 2nd Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    arc2014
    Afternoon all! Good start to the week in my household!

- 7 day meal plan completed.
    - Everyone took lunch with them.
    - Will be using dads car to take my sister out for her birthday (concert - tickets already booked & paid for!)
    - Coffee from home this morning.

Treated myself to a mars bar from the vending machine so not an NSD but very close & I'm allowed to treat myself!

The washer will go on a quick wash tonight and I have items ending on eBay tomorrow & Wednesday. It's going to be a good week!
    Last edited by arc2014; 02-10-2017 at 2:46 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    Logbook Loan 170.42/1000 · DC1 45/1420.32 · DC2 30/321.13 · DC3 11.75/11.75 · DC4 40/635 · Personal Loan 426.74/4800 · Overdraft 0/1200

Lightbulb Moment September 2017 - DFD Christmas 2018!

October NSDs 11/15 · £10 a day challenge £231.51/£500
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 2nd Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 6,536 Posts
    • 37,542 Thanks
    determined new ms
    just harvested squashes 3 elongated rugby ball shaped ones (gave 1 away and there's another there, left to harden in the sun for a bit), 5 gourd types - thinking I will use one for Halloween instead of buying a pumpkin - and another 4 BNS have come home to a tidy downstairs - did thorough flylady of lounge and quick once over of the hall & kitchen. Now am sitting with a hm mocha before going to pick up madam

2 loads of washing done and on the line, prob will need to go on airer over night. Another in machine to set for 5 am

ahhhhhh the simple pleasures!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 2nd Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 18,422 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi gang

Thanks for the kick off CLF!

What a lovely bunch of new and not-so-new posters.

Well... what a crazy world we live in. There are some real nutters out there.

In small things:
    I've just gone through our budgets and would you believe it, but I got our mortgage payment wrong! Paperwork says 'your new rate is effective from 1 October', but alas... the mortgage payment that goes out on 1 October is actually paying for September and my new mortgage payment won't take effect until the next payment comes out on 1 November!!

Need to tidy round tonight and then think of something for tea

Other things:
    - got another job spotter job
    - free tea/coffee in work
    - free biccie in work
    - found myself an NHS dentist
    - bought a dress for just 10 British pounds - already have 2 occasions to wear it to

CLF - I'm with ya on the stuck for something to crochet part... Hmmm...

Take care of yourselves everyone
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 2nd Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Hi Uphill

Sorry, I just read these threads sometimes as a bit of inspiration, and spotted your change dilemma. I had the same problem with Nationwide a couple of years ago - they said that since they are a Building Society and not a bank, they only accept small amounts of coinage to be paid in. Sorry that probably isn't the answer you want you could get round it by taking in the maximum amount allowed in separate occasions, but it depends how much of a logistical faff that is for you (for me that would take months!).

I'm sorry to hear of your loss too
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 3rd Oct 17, 6:59 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 18,422 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

US and foxgloves - hope you are both doing OK.

I'm well annoyed about my mortgage. I need to call them back this morning. The more I think about it the more I think he just palmed me off yesterday as magically this morning the rate is now showing (if it kicked in on 1 October why did it not show from then...? Or at least yesterday as the next working day... Why 3rd October???). Also, the 'contracted monthly amount' hasn't changed so I get the impression he's done half a job. And finally, absolutely all of the paperwork says the new rate will come in on 1 August (I switched in July) and not at 1 October when the old rate ends.... It's not sitting right with me. Hopefully they will change the rate retrospectively to 1 August, keep the payment I've been making and reduce the ongoing monthly payment - then we can hammer higher-interest debts for the next 2 years.

So that's my morning ramble

What else...
    - Cheapo porridge brekkie
    - Leftovers for lunch
    - Going on on lunch for a walk
    - Shopping this eve - our cupboards are bare!
    - Not washing my hair
    - Did my own nails

Not much really - just how I like things.

Happy Tuesday!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,914Posts Today

6,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin